Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where can I find the unofficial mark scheme? (For today's c2 Edexcel paper)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    It wasn't dude...
    Apart from the trig question, which was a complete flop for me, which questions were actually that hard?

ReputationRep:
    Was i the only one unable to answer 9b)...the cost of the cylinder. All i got to was differentiation and then mind went blank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james2130)
    Was i the only one unable to answer 9b)...the cost of the cylinder. All i got to was differentiation and then mind went blank
    Nope me too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    Anyone saying the paper was nothing like past papers must've done like 1 past paper, if that lol.
    Nah wasn't that, think it was time pressure. I'll bet most people that sat the exam would be able to come up with the right solutions if not in an exam situation, but the questions did require quite a bit of thought (for me anyway, I consider myself as an average student)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderkid14)
    Where can I find the unofficial mark scheme? (For today's c2 Edexcel paper)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3344369

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBoss)
    Nah wasn't that, think it was time pressure. I'll bet most people that sat the exam would be able to come up with the right solutions if not in an exam situation, but the questions did require quite a bit of thought (for me anyway, I consider myself as an average student)
    Yeah, you are right, but people are seriously over-exaggerating. Most of the questions were pretty similar to past ones. I'd also say I'm an average student and had to think a little for some of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the trig question, which was a complete flop for me, which questions were actually that hard?
    totally agreed, and even the trig question was essentially a c1 quadratic equation and quad formula!

ReputationRep:
    omg, i am literally about to cry right now. for part b of the last question (q9) i differentiated and everything but when i got to r^3=something/something (sorry cant remember the exact numbers), i forgot to cancel out the pi and so I did r=square root of a number with the pi.

this meant that part c of the question was wrong toohow many marks do you think ill lose and would i get any error carried forward marks

also for the cosx in terms of k question i did the quad formula and all but in the end i made a stupid mistake and said that cosx=cos(of the answer from the quad formula):frown::frown:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you are right, but people are seriously over-exaggerating. Most of the questions were pretty similar to past ones. I'd also say I'm an average student and had to think a little for some of the questions.
    Agreed. The only way you could go wrong on the first 4 questions is either a) let exam stress get to you which makes the brain defunct or b) be ill on exam day

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathskid137)
    Seriously wtf

I got 70/75 when I did a past paper for last year's exam.
    68/75 for 2013

Think I got 50/75 here. Just wow.

Some stupid mistakes on some of the questions and 6 marks gone straight away, another mistake there? Another 5 gone.

Maths was my only exam I was meant to easily get an A in... Now I have to get something stupid in stats like 95 just to scrape an A. Worst test ever.
    ikr ... In a past paper i got 73/75 and in the actual one i think if i'm lucky I'll have 63 , if i'm not them 60/75 ....So many mistakes !!!
    Good luck in stats though ... hopefully edexcel don't *** that up.

ReputationRep:
    So ... I didn't put this but I was wondering if 3x(x-16)(2x+1) would work ... as my friend put it and is doubting it a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse.345)
    omg, i am literally about to cry right now. for part b of the last question (q9) i differentiated and everything but when i got to r^3=something/something (sorry cant remember the exact numbers), i forgot to cancel out the pi and so I did r=square root of a number with the pi.

this meant that part c of the question was wrong toohow many marks do you think ill lose and would i get any error carried forward marks

also for the cosx in terms of k question i did the quad formula and all but in the end i made a stupid mistake and said that cosx=cos(of the answer from the quad formula):frown::frown:
    I believe the step to the answer was root 3 of 25, which seems to have thrown off some people since they instinctively go with square root when they see 25, to get a nice number.

Also for the part C, I'm sure you could get the method mark if you did it the right way (found d^2y/dx^2 and proved it was bigger than 0) with your answer from part B.

I made a mistake in the cos x question... didn't recognise completing the square u.u I'm hoping to catch a few method marks

ReputationRep:
    People are saying "I got full marks in all the past papers". Most likely because there was no pressure on you to obtain a high mark and you had useful resources beside you the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMathsMan)
    So ... I didn't put this but I was wondering if 3x(x-16)(2x+1) would work ... as my friend put it and is doubting it a little.
    no that doesn't work because that will be (3x^2-48x) which isn't (3x^2-48)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMathsMan)
    I don't think so.... I think if you expand that out you won't get the original equation? I haven't tried, but since the answer is

3 (x-4) (x+4) (2x+1)

= 3(x^2-16) (2x+1)

3(x^2-16) isn't the same as 3x(x-16), as that would expand to be 3x^2-48x not 3x^2-48?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did people get 9a?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarashi)
    I don't think so.... I think if you expand that out you won't get the original equation? I haven't tried, but since the answer is

3 (x-4) (x+4) (2x+1)

= 3(x^2-16) (2x+1)

3(x^2-16) isn't the same as 3x(x-16), as that would expand to be 3x^2-48x not 3x^2-48?
    Yeah derp! you got a point there ... Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.