The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nah, the only change needed for his side is Ashley Young for Bent(ley). Brown's a joker.
Jonah Ramone
Nah, the only change needed for his side is Ashley Young for Bent(ley). Brown's a joker.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Richards at RB recently.
No; but can't be worse than Brown tbh.
Reply 3403
Ronaldo VII
I'm guessing you haven't seen Richards at RB recently.

offers a lot more then mr brown.
pace, power, drive.
Jonah Ramone
No; but can't be worse than Brown tbh.

Yea, cos being the player who played the most last season picking up league and champions league medals is average.
This should be the England team:

-------------Green/Kirkland-------------
-Brown--Terry--Ferdinand--A.Cole-----
------Bentley---Gerrard---Downing----
---Agbo-----Rooney---AshleyoldYoung--

That is THE team. You get a bit of balance and there's loads of world-class players (Brown, Ferdinand, etc). A bit of youth and a bit of aggression.
Agbonlahor hasn't played on the right wing for Aston Villa since the beginning of MON's first season in charge, and rightly so because he's terrible there.
And besides that your team would get mauled anyway.

one central midfielder, and he's an attacking midfielder? mad
Reply 3407
Mastermind`

That is THE team. You get a bit of balance and there's loads of world-class players (Brown, Ferdinand, etc). A bit of youth and a bit of aggression.

At first I assumed you must be on a wind up, but there's enough in there to make me think it's just a genuinely stupid post! :p:
Reply 3408
Mastermind`

:console:

Could have been worse; you could have put Robbo in goal :colonhash:
Complexed but simple England team:

James

Brown Ferdinand Terry A.cole

G. Barry

J. Cole A. Young

Gerrard

Rooney
Crouch

Pace, power with young and rooney. This team also utilises Gerrrard to his maximum AND Crouch is England's top scorer over the last 18 months.

Complex but Simple.
There is one person that can solve our woes and that is Michael Owen. Having him fit and on form will make us such a better team.
Laevis
At first I assumed you must be on a wind up, but there's enough in there to make me think it's just a genuinely stupid post! :p:

That's a genuinely good team. Just play like how Aston Villa play but with Ashton/Rooney up front instead of John Carew. Who needs a defensive midfielder when you can score goals? Plus that defense is rock solid :yep:
Reply 3412
How about this team:

----------------James------------------
Richards----Terry----Ferdinand----A Cole
--------------Hargreaves---------------
--------Lampard------Gerrard-----------
-Bentley-------------------------J Cole-
----------------Rooney-----------------

With Wright-Phillips, Defoe, Walcott, Barry, Brown on the bench. Back-up goalkeeper should be Almunia :teeth:!

That's the only way to accommodate both Gerrard and Lampard in the centre...
Reply 3413
Mastermind`
That's a genuinely good team. Just play like how Aston Villa play but with Ashton/Rooney up front instead of John Carew. Who needs a defensive midfielder when you can score goals? Plus that defense is rock solid :yep:

I have a slightly different take on that team :colondollar:

There's only Steven Gerrard playing in the centre of the back, and he likes to drive up the field rather than downwards. That means any team can drive straight through us with consonant ease. Ashley Cole and Wes Brown (although to a lesser extent with him) will be running up the wings a lot and leaving the defence even more exposed. Cole, Downing and Young will just get in each other's way as they all like to hog the touch line rather than cut in, although Young could if he wanted to. Bentley would offer no support to the team and Agbonlahor has not and simply cannot play right win (as mentioned earlier). There's no prolific goalscorer and no one that you would class as a box striker, as Rooney likes to roam around the pitch.

It would get torn to shreds by Iraq.
Mastermind`

There's a reason we need Reo-Coker - we simply don't get the ball in midfield without him.
Mastermind`

Aston Villa don't play 4-3-3
nor do they play 2 wingers and an attacking midfielder in CM
nor does Agbonlahor play on the wing
Laevis
I have a slightly different take on that team :colondollar:

There's only Steven Gerrard playing in the centre of the back, and he likes to drive up the field rather than downwards. That means any team can drive straight through us with consonant ease. Ashley Cole and Wes Brown (although to a lesser extent with him) will be running up the wings a lot and leaving the defence even more exposed. Cole, Downing and Young will just get in each other's way as they all like to hog the touch line rather than cut in, although Young could if he wanted to. Bentley would offer no support to the team and Agbonlahor has not and simply cannot play right win (as mentioned earlier). There's no prolific goalscorer and no one that you would class as a box striker, as Rooney likes to roam around the pitch.

It would get torn to shreds by Iraq.

Skeen. Good points.

jonnyofengland
There's a reason we need Reo-Coker - we simply don't get the ball in midfield without him.

So it could work just put Reo-Coker/Hargreaves/A ball-winning midfielder amongst the mix.

mermania
Aston Villa don't play 4-3-3
nor do they play 2 wingers and an attacking midfielder in CM
nor does Agbonlahor play on the wing

Whatever formation they play I think Agbonlahor/Young should be in the starting XI for England. These guys cause absolute havoc. They may be young/weak but the Premiership is quite a physical league and they cope fine.
Mastermind`

Whatever formation they play I think Agbonlahor/Young should be in the starting XI for England. These guys cause absolute havoc. They may be young/weak but the Premiership is quite a physical league and they cope fine.

Young - definitely. He's ready, and can inject pace and enthusiasm into a game, coming up with his own moments of magic (which England sometimes lack).

As for Gabby - I'm not sure. He's a good team player, and very well suited to our setup at Villa, but I don't think he's what England need. At least not for a couple of years. England currently need an out and out goalscorer - someone like Ashton or Owen. It wouldn't help Capello at the moment if he went out on a limb with an experimental young team, when really he needs to grind out results at the minute.
Reply 3418
Gerrard not available to play Croatia apparently :colonhash:

Although I guess Eduardo and Kranjcar wont be available for Croatia?
Reply 3419
mhsc
Gerrard not available to play Croatia apparently :colonhash:

Although I guess Eduardo and Kranjcar wont be available for Croatia?

Correct on all 3, n00b :colonhash:

Latest