Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    We could just keep things a bit more English but with better team selection than we have sometimes experienced

-------------James-------------------
    -Richards--Terry--Ferdinand--A.Cole---
    -Bentley---Gerrard--Barry----J.Cole--
    ----------Rooney--Ashton-------------

I'd usually pick a fit Hargreaves over a fit Barry in theory, but I remember the combination Gerrard and Barry shared for us in the past and might soon share at Lpool (...might..).

Also when we play weaker sides and its just about getting through we should think about using Crouch or even Bent. Crouch has scored regularly for us in the past, especially against weaker sides, and Bent knows how to score against weak opposition as well (just look at his preseason and the reason Spurs paid so much money for him, even if he has flopped so far in the EPL).
    Teh sex, but with Brown in for Richards (who plays centre, not RB ) and Hargs in for Barry (who is a big game bottler, at least for England).

Nah, the only change needed for his side is Ashley Young for Bent(ley). Brown's a joker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    Nah, the only change needed for his side is Ashley Young for Bent(ley). Brown's a joker.
    I'm guessing you haven't seen Richards at RB recently.

No; but can't be worse than Brown tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    I'm guessing you haven't seen Richards at RB recently.
    offers a lot more then mr brown.
    pace, power, drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    No; but can't be worse than Brown tbh.
    Yea, cos being the player who played the most last season picking up league and champions league medals is average.

ReputationRep:
    This should be the England team:

-------------Green/Kirkland-------------
    -Brown--Terry--Ferdinand--A.Cole-----
    ------Bentley---Gerrard---Downing----
    ---Agbo-----Rooney---AshleyoldYoung--

That is THE team. You get a bit of balance and there's loads of world-class players (Brown, Ferdinand, etc). A bit of youth and a bit of aggression.

ReputationRep:
    Agbonlahor hasn't played on the right wing for Aston Villa since the beginning of MON's first season in charge, and rightly so because he's terrible there.
    And besides that your team would get mauled anyway.

one central midfielder, and he's an attacking midfielder? mad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)

That is THE team. You get a bit of balance and there's loads of world-class players (Brown, Ferdinand, etc). A bit of youth and a bit of aggression.
    At first I assumed you must be on a wind up, but there's enough in there to make me think it's just a genuinely stupid post! :p:

ReputationRep:

:console:

Could have been worse; you could have put Robbo in goal

ReputationRep:
    Complexed but simple England team:

James

Brown Ferdinand Terry A.cole

G. Barry

J. Cole A. Young

Gerrard

Rooney
    Crouch

Pace, power with young and rooney. This team also utilises Gerrrard to his maximum AND Crouch is England's top scorer over the last 18 months.

Complex but Simple.

ReputationRep:
    There is one person that can solve our woes and that is Michael Owen. Having him fit and on form will make us such a better team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laevis)
    At first I assumed you must be on a wind up, but there's enough in there to make me think it's just a genuinely stupid post! :p:
    That's a genuinely good team. Just play like how Aston Villa play but with Ashton/Rooney up front instead of John Carew. Who needs a defensive midfielder when you can score goals? Plus that defense is rock solid :yep:

ReputationRep:
    How about this team:

----------------James------------------
    Richards----Terry----Ferdinand----A Cole
    --------------Hargreaves---------------
    --------Lampard------Gerrard-----------
    -Bentley-------------------------J Cole-
    ----------------Rooney-----------------

With Wright-Phillips, Defoe, Walcott, Barry, Brown on the bench. Back-up goalkeeper should be Almunia :teeth:!

That's the only way to accommodate both Gerrard and Lampard in the centre...

ReputationRep:
    That's a genuinely good team. Just play like how Aston Villa play but with Ashton/Rooney up front instead of John Carew. Who needs a defensive midfielder when you can score goals? Plus that defense is rock solid :yep:
    I have a slightly different take on that team

There's only Steven Gerrard playing in the centre of the back, and he likes to drive up the field rather than downwards. That means any team can drive straight through us with consonant ease. Ashley Cole and Wes Brown (although to a lesser extent with him) will be running up the wings a lot and leaving the defence even more exposed. Cole, Downing and Young will just get in each other's way as they all like to hog the touch line rather than cut in, although Young could if he wanted to. Bentley would offer no support to the team and Agbonlahor has not and simply cannot play right win (as mentioned earlier). There's no prolific goalscorer and no one that you would class as a box striker, as Rooney likes to roam around the pitch.

It would get torn to shreds by Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    There's a reason we need Reo-Coker - we simply don't get the ball in midfield without him.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa don't play 4-3-3
    nor do they play 2 wingers and an attacking midfielder in CM
    nor does Agbonlahor play on the wing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laevis)
    I have a slightly different take on that team

There's only Steven Gerrard playing in the centre of the back, and he likes to drive up the field rather than downwards. That means any team can drive straight through us with consonant ease. Ashley Cole and Wes Brown (although to a lesser extent with him) will be running up the wings a lot and leaving the defence even more exposed. Cole, Downing and Young will just get in each other's way as they all like to hog the touch line rather than cut in, although Young could if he wanted to. Bentley would offer no support to the team and Agbonlahor has not and simply cannot play right win (as mentioned earlier). There's no prolific goalscorer and no one that you would class as a box striker, as Rooney likes to roam around the pitch.

It would get torn to shreds by Iraq.
    Skeen. Good points.

(Original post by jonnyofengland)
    There's a reason we need Reo-Coker - we simply don't get the ball in midfield without him.
    So it could work just put Reo-Coker/Hargreaves/A ball-winning midfielder amongst the mix.

(Original post by mermania)
    Aston Villa don't play 4-3-3
    nor do they play 2 wingers and an attacking midfielder in CM
    nor does Agbonlahor play on the wing
    Whatever formation they play I think Agbonlahor/Young should be in the starting XI for England. These guys cause absolute havoc. They may be young/weak but the Premiership is quite a physical league and they cope fine.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever formation they play I think Agbonlahor/Young should be in the starting XI for England. These guys cause absolute havoc. They may be young/weak but the Premiership is quite a physical league and they cope fine.
    Young - definitely. He's ready, and can inject pace and enthusiasm into a game, coming up with his own moments of magic (which England sometimes lack).

As for Gabby - I'm not sure. He's a good team player, and very well suited to our setup at Villa, but I don't think he's what England need. At least not for a couple of years. England currently need an out and out goalscorer - someone like Ashton or Owen. It wouldn't help Capello at the moment if he went out on a limb with an experimental young team, when really he needs to grind out results at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard not available to play Croatia apparently

Although I guess Eduardo and Kranjcar wont be available for Croatia?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.