The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3420
Original post by HARVEY123
So do you reckon that if I did extremly well in the UKCAT/BMAT I might be let in with slightly lower predicted grades say AAB?

Also I think its slightly wrong how people without AAA may not even be considered when they could ultimately prove themselves at interview etc or in the long run to succeed just as well - tough competition!!

Unfortunately if you don't get predicted AAA you will be placed in the first batch of pre interview rejections at pretty much any medical school regardless of your admission test scores. The predicted grades are used as an initial screening of applicants in most cases so anyone who doesn't meet them won't move on to the next stage (It helps cut the numbers down).
If you are unable to get predicted AAA, your best bet would be to work really hard to achieve AAA then apply during your gap year with grades in hand.
Original post by Zedd
I find that a bit odd if I'm honest. Although I can understand why a science graduate wouldn't be allowed to intercalate I'd have thought that, as an arts graduate, I would still be able to intercalate.

It's not a maker or breaker, although it would be nice to be able to explore an area in more depth.

EDIT- I get the impression the reason for not allowing it is because the student would be liable for paying that year? If that's the case then that isn't an issue for me as I'm not applying to GEPs and I won't be paying £9k in fees.

AFAIK Aberdeen will let you intercalate as a grad, and they're talking about offering an intercalated masters as well.
Reply 3422
Hi,

This is my first thread so bear with me! (thanks)

I want to apply to Univeristy of Southampton for their medicine with a foundation year, I think this is the only course which I will get the grades for. I was wondering if I could use my 4 other choices on another course, is that possible?one medicine and 4 of another course to make up my 5 choices on UCAS.

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 3423
Original post by Mariam_x
Hi,

This is my first thread so bear with me! (thanks)

I want to apply to Univeristy of Southampton for their medicine with a foundation year, I think this is the only course which I will get the grades for. I was wondering if I could use my 4 other choices on another course, is that possible?one medicine and 4 of another course to make up my 5 choices on UCAS.

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Yup that's possible. :smile:
this results day i will be getting 4 grades...what grades do you think i should persue medicine with or forget it. Please be honest i.e
1)AAAA
2)AAAB
3)AABB
4)ABBB
5)BBBB
Reply 3425
Original post by pepeeglesfield
this results day i will be getting 4 grades...what grades do you think i should persue medicine with or forget it. Please be honest i.e
1)AAAA
2)AAAB
3)AABB
4)ABBB
5)BBBB

It's possible with all five options provided your predicted grades meet the required AAA. It would also depend on where you would apply.
Original post by pepeeglesfield
1)AAAA
2)AAAB
3)AABB
4)ABBB
5)BBBB

Even with options 4 or 5, if you resat some of your worst modules and could get good A grades in them, then you should be fine to get an A overall at A2 :smile:

I just wouldn't apply to places such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, Barts* and Birmingham :smile:

* Barts rank you on your UCAS tariff predictions, so assuming you get ABBB or BBBB, I doubt you predictions are higher than AAAA, which would mean that there would be slim chances of getting an interview.
I know most Uni's don't accept resits but what should I do if my school requires you to resit core subjects if you don't get an A*?
Reply 3428
Original post by dinrah04
I know most Uni's don't accept resits but what should I do if my school requires you to resit core subjects if you don't get an A*?

I can't believe any school would have such a ridiculous policy:eek: If that really is the case it would have to get mentioned In the reference so the medical school can take it into consideration.
Reply 3429
Original post by myyrh
I can't believe any school would have such a ridiculous policy:eek: If that really is the case it would have to get mentioned In the reference so the medical school can take it into consideration.

I'd go above that and call the admissions team directly, giving them your application reference and letting them know that you're obligated to resit.
All are fine as long as you ensure you're predicted AAA and can actually meet the offer if you were to get one (or more) :h:
Reply 3431
hi, I really wanna know what medicine requires from an early age. I'm only 14 and am really interested in medicine. Can I do anything from now to get ahead which will help my chances of getting into a good university?
Reply 3432
1. Get as many A* in your Gcses as you can and do traditional subjects.
2. Volunteer. St johns ambulance, age concern, a disabled project, a nursing home etc. it doesn't have to be medical but it must involve people.
3. Read medical and ethical/moral issues news stories in a good newspaper.
4. Be involved in team activities whether sport or music.

Good luck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3433
Original post by Stretton
1. Get as many A* in your Gcses as you can and do traditional subjects.
2. Volunteer. St johns ambulance, age concern, a disabled project, a nursing home etc. it doesn't have to be medical but it must involve people.
3. Read medical and ethical/moral issues news stories in a good newspaper.
4. Be involved in team activities whether sport or music.

Good luck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks, but will they let me do volunteer work at the age of 14?
I would seriously consider doing maybe an extra course outside of school such as learning a second language.
Also, charity work/volunteer work is ALWAYS looked at if applying for med school. This is because only 1/10 people actually get into medicine and even then like 1/3 have the same grades.

If I were you, I would volunteer at a hospital or an animal shelter myself pending whichever path you chose. =)
Reply 3435
Original post by Scienceisgood
I would seriously consider doing maybe an extra course outside of school such as learning a second language.
Also, charity work/volunteer work is ALWAYS looked at if applying for med school. This is because only 1/10 people actually get into medicine and even then like 1/3 have the same grades.

If I were you, I would volunteer at a hospital or an animal shelter myself pending whichever path you chose. =)

Are there any services which you can recommend for me to join?
Well, I KNOW a certificate in First Aid will give you a serious look at as well, so, maybe you can ask someone to teach you or look at places doing it such as the emergency services or the military.
My school nurse used to train people in the army for first aid and she trained our class so we got First Aid certificates. =)
Reply 3437
Well, I KNOW a certificate in First Aid will give you a serious look at as well, so, maybe you can ask someone to teach you or look at places doing it such as the emergency services or the military.
My school nurse used to train people in the army for first aid and she trained our class so we got First Aid certificates. =)

You mean like cadets?
Yeah, pretty much. =)
Reply 3439
Yeah, pretty much. =)

Thanks, errm just out of curiosity, are you already in a university studying medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest