Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions! Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deang15)
    I would like to become a doctor in the hear future and Iwas w onder how hard it is to obtain the right qualifications. I am doing 9 GCSE's and I could be 3A's,5B's and 1c. The university I would like to go to is Peninsula in Plymouth as I live there and it says I need at least AAA at GCE A level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics and a fourth subject must be achieved at a minimum of grade c as AS level, so i was wondering how hard is it to get 3As at alevel and what is the chance of me getting into medical school, as I toke part in cadets for over 2 years, a few years of fighting and had a part time job for over a year. Also how hard would medical school be and how many hours of work will I need to put in after university hours?
    Lots of those basic questions can be answered by the FAQ here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

You could also do with some more medical work experience, the process is also explained on those FAQs.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that you can do an intercalated year at any university that provides them but is there a compiled list of subjects/research areas for intercalation?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I understand that you can do an intercalated year at any university that provides them but is there a compiled list of subjects/research areas for intercalation?
    :yep: check out: http://intercalate.co.uk

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    :yep: check out: http://intercalate.co.uk

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
    Shizaam! Cheers
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Going by your sig I can assume you're currently studying Philosophy at Aberdeen? So will be a graduate when you enter medical school?

In which case graduates often aren't allowed to intercalate, or they aren't at BL at least.

ReputationRep:
    I have carried out numerous workplacements in healthcare settings and do regular volunteering for the enjoyment rather than anything else. I have researched a career as a docotor; attending various talks and doing outside readingetc as I am facinated with the subject.

BUT, I am awaiting my as level results and don't believe i will achieve AAAA probably ABBC at the most. I don't want to persue a biomedical degree as I love the idea of patient contact / dealing with people on a daily basis and don't want to risk not getting into the grad medicine route and being stuck with a degree that I dont enjoy.

Any ideas for degrees? is medicine still possible ?

Thanks in advance (oh GCSEs are 4A*4A and Bs if that hepls?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARVEY123)
    I have carried out numerous workplacements in healthcare settings and do regular volunteering for the enjoyment rather than anything else. I have researched a career as a docotor; attending various talks and doing outside readingetc as I am facinated with the subject.

BUT, I am awaiting my as level results and don't believe i will achieve AAAA probably ABBC at the most. I don't want to persue a biomedical degree as I love the idea of patient contact / dealing with people on a daily basis and don't want to risk not getting into the grad medicine route and being stuck with a degree that I dont enjoy.

Any ideas for degrees? is medicine still possible ?

Thanks in advance (oh GCSEs are 4A*4A and Bs if that hepls?)
    Yes it is still possible. You don't need straight As at AS unless you're applying to Birmingham or Oxbridge. The predicted grades are more important than AS grades but they do need to be realistic. If you were predicted AAA and had a B in your dropped AS subject you would be fine for most schools. A C in your dropped AS may lower your choices a bit but it's still possible to secure a place with that too provided you apply to the right places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Going by your sig I can assume you're currently studying Philosophy at Aberdeen? So will be a graduate when you enter medical school?

In which case graduates often aren't allowed to intercalate, or they aren't at BL at least.
    I find that a bit odd if I'm honest. Although I can understand why a science graduate wouldn't be allowed to intercalate I'd have thought that, as an arts graduate, I would still be able to intercalate.

It's not a maker or breaker, although it would be nice to be able to explore an area in more depth.

EDIT- I get the impression the reason for not allowing it is because the student would be liable for paying that year? If that's the case then that isn't an issue for me as I'm not applying to GEPs and I won't be paying £9k in fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Yes it is still possible. You don't need straight As at AS unless you're applying to Birmingham or Oxbridge. The predicted grades are more important than AS grades but they do need to be realistic. If you were predicted AAA and had a B in your dropped AS subject you would be fine for most schools. A C in your dropped AS may lower your choices a bit but it's still possible to secure a place with that too provided you apply to the right places.
    Thanks
    So do you reckon that if I did extremly well in the UKCAT/BMAT I might be let in with slightly lower predicted grades say AAB?

Also I think its slightly wrong how people without AAA may not even be considered when they could ultimately prove themselves at interview etc or in the long run to succeed just as well - tough competition!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARVEY123)
    Thanks
    So do you reckon that if I did extremly well in the UKCAT/BMAT I might be let in with slightly lower predicted grades say AAB?

Also I think its slightly wrong how people without AAA may not even be considered when they could ultimately prove themselves at interview etc or in the long run to succeed just as well - tough competition!!
    Thanks
    Unfortunately if you don't get predicted AAA you will be placed in the first batch of pre interview rejections at pretty much any medical school regardless of your admission test scores. The predicted grades are used as an initial screening of applicants in most cases so anyone who doesn't meet them won't move on to the next stage (It helps cut the numbers down).
    If you are unable to get predicted AAA, your best bet would be to work really hard to achieve AAA then apply during your gap year with grades in hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I find that a bit odd if I'm honest. Although I can understand why a science graduate wouldn't be allowed to intercalate I'd have thought that, as an arts graduate, I would still be able to intercalate.

It's not a maker or breaker, although it would be nice to be able to explore an area in more depth.

EDIT- I get the impression the reason for not allowing it is because the student would be liable for paying that year? If that's the case then that isn't an issue for me as I'm not applying to GEPs and I won't be paying £9k in fees.
    AFAIK Aberdeen will let you intercalate as a grad, and they're talking about offering an intercalated masters as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This is my first thread so bear with me! (thanks)

I want to apply to Univeristy of Southampton for their medicine with a foundation year, I think this is the only course which I will get the grades for. I was wondering if I could use my 4 other choices on another course, is that possible?one medicine and 4 of another course to make up my 5 choices on UCAS.

Thanks for your help!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariam_x)
    Hi,

This is my first thread so bear with me! (thanks)

I want to apply to Univeristy of Southampton for their medicine with a foundation year, I think this is the only course which I will get the grades for. I was wondering if I could use my 4 other choices on another course, is that possible?one medicine and 4 of another course to make up my 5 choices on UCAS.

Thanks for your help!
    Yup that's possible.

ReputationRep:
    this results day i will be getting 4 grades...what grades do you think i should persue medicine with or forget it. Please be honest i.e
    1)AAAA
    2)AAAB
    3)AABB
    4)ABBB
    5)BBBB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepeeglesfield)
    this results day i will be getting 4 grades...what grades do you think i should persue medicine with or forget it. Please be honest i.e
    1)AAAA
    2)AAAB
    3)AABB
    4)ABBB
    5)BBBB
    It's possible with all five options provided your predicted grades meet the required AAA. It would also depend on where you would apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepeeglesfield)
    1)AAAA
    2)AAAB
    3)AABB
    4)ABBB
    5)BBBB
    Even with options 4 or 5, if you resat some of your worst modules and could get good A grades in them, then you should be fine to get an A overall at A2

I just wouldn't apply to places such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, Barts* and Birmingham

* Barts rank you on your UCAS tariff predictions, so assuming you get ABBB or BBBB, I doubt you predictions are higher than AAAA, which would mean that there would be slim chances of getting an interview.

ReputationRep:
    I know most Uni's don't accept resits but what should I do if my school requires you to resit core subjects if you don't get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinrah04)
    I know most Uni's don't accept resits but what should I do if my school requires you to resit core subjects if you don't get an A*?
    I can't believe any school would have such a ridiculous policy:eek: If that really is the case it would have to get mentioned In the reference so the medical school can take it into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    I can't believe any school would have such a ridiculous policy:eek: If that really is the case it would have to get mentioned In the reference so the medical school can take it into consideration.
    I'd go above that and call the admissions team directly, giving them your application reference and letting them know that you're obligated to resit.

ReputationRep:
    All are fine as long as you ensure you're predicted AAA and can actually meet the offer if you were to get one (or more)

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.