Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sangria)
    Apologies. This may seem like a silly question. Are you graded at the end of training,
    good/ outstanding etc? How is it worked out? Is the average?

Many thanks only a few weeks left to go!!

Ultimately, the PGCE is Pass or Fail, but there are other aspects within it.

The written assessments are marked with percentages, with 50% being a Pass, 60% being a Merit and 70% a Distinction. These are at Masters level, with credits you can use towards a Masters degree if you want (I think it's 60 credits, and the full Masters is 180). I think 40% is a Pass at Honours level, which means your PGCE is a Professional Certificate rather than a Postgraduate Certificate because you haven't done academic work at Postgrad level.

The marking of teaching placements will depend on your universities.

On my course, we didn't have graded observations. There was no concept of a lesson being "Outstanding" or "Satisfactory" or whatever, lesson observations were just for feedback. So a form would have a massive list of comments of things that were successful (as evidence for the teaching standards) and areas for improvement, with 3 targets and strategies for development.

At the end of each placement we had a report by our mentor. In that, they had to grade us against the Teaching Standards, with one grade for the Preamble, one for Teaching and one for Professional Conduct. The grades were E (exceptional), H (high), Q (QTS level), P (potential) and L (low). In the first placement, P was OK. In the 2nd placement you had to get Qs to pass the course. Most people got H or E for the Preamble and Professional Conduct, and Q or H for Teaching.

Ultimately, as the last poster said, these judgements don't go on your PGCE certificate so don't worry too much. You can be a merely "Satisfactory" trainee and go on to become an outstanding teacher and no-one needs to know. But if you are graded highly, this may be mentioned in your references and you can use it in job applications too - eg: "I have recently completed my final PGCE placement, with all aspects of my practice graded as "High" or "Exceptional"."

I'm sure your university will explain their system to you at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful day today - not doing anything teaching related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Beautiful day today - not doing anything teaching related
    I'm being forced to take time out today. I was informed in no uncertain terms that I am to spend the day in the garden and that I'm going out for dinner tonight. Gorgeous weather, so it wasn't too hard to convince me to be fair!

ReputationRep:
    Worked since the morning, now time to enjoy the weather

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    Worked since the morning, now time to enjoy the weather

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And the football...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Ultimately, the PGCE is Pass or Fail, but there are other aspects within it.

The written assessments are marked with percentages, with 50% being a Pass, 60% being a Merit and 70% a Distinction. These are at Masters level, with credits you can use towards a Masters degree if you want (I think it's 60 credits, and the full Masters is 180). I think 40% is a Pass at Honours level, which means your PGCE is a Professional Certificate rather than a Postgraduate Certificate because you haven't done academic work at Postgrad level.

The marking of teaching placements will depend on your universities.

On my course, we didn't have graded observations. There was no concept of a lesson being "Outstanding" or "Satisfactory" or whatever, lesson observations were just for feedback. So a form would have a massive list of comments of things that were successful (as evidence for the teaching standards) and areas for improvement, with 3 targets and strategies for development.

At the end of each placement we had a report by our mentor. In that, they had to grade us against the Teaching Standards, with one grade for the Preamble, one for Teaching and one for Professional Conduct. The grades were E (exceptional), H (high), Q (QTS level), P (potential) and L (low). In the first placement, P was OK. In the 2nd placement you had to get Qs to pass the course. Most people got H or E for the Preamble and Professional Conduct, and Q or H for Teaching.

Ultimately, as the last poster said, these judgements don't go on your PGCE certificate so don't worry too much. You can be a merely "Satisfactory" trainee and go on to become an outstanding teacher and no-one needs to know. But if you are graded highly, this may be mentioned in your references and you can use it in job applications too - eg: "I have recently completed my final PGCE placement, with all aspects of my practice graded as "High" or "Exceptional"."

I'm sure your university will explain their system to you at some point.

Hi it is useful to know they use this for references. I am a school direct trainee. We do get graded every teaching observation. Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    3 more full weeks to go. Last week before half term, have to say my motivation is at an all time low and I'm finding lesson planning to be really difficult now again. So close to the end is getting me through it.

ReputationRep:
    4 full weeks for me

So annoying that the maths exam is one of the last ones as well!!!

Year 11s only go one week before me so I don't get as much free time as I thought.

Year 10s double on Tuesday is cancelled though though due to some mocks which is nice. Year 8s have an exam on Thursday so the week should go quite nicely. 3 day break to Budapest booked during half term, something to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    What were you doing before you started your PGCE? Working? Studying?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get the job at my school direct main school. Devastated doesn't even cover it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Didn't get the job at my school direct main school. Devastated doesn't even cover it.
    I'm so terribly sorry. It's no comfort to you now, but there's nearly always an agenda the candidates are unaware of in these things - there may be a slot on a timetable needing filling in a particular subject and one of the candidates can offer that, for example. It's very rarely a simple 'They hate me!' scenario. I'm a massive believer in 'What's meant to be won't pass you by' and there are definite advantages to starting somewhere afresh after your PGCE year. For a start, your future new school hasn't seen you making mistakes and they won't come back to haunt you!

Chin up, chuck. Onward and upward. There's a job out there with your name on it, and you'll find it soon. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I'm so terribly sorry. It's no comfort to you now, but there's nearly always an agenda the candidates are unaware of in these things - there may be a slot on a timetable needing filling in a particular subject and oone of the candidates can offer that, for example. It's very rarely a simple 'They hate me!' scenario. I'm a massive believer in 'What's meant to be won't pass you by' and there are definite advantages to starting somewhere afresh after your PGCE year. For a start, your future new school hasn't seen you making mistakes and they won't come back to haunt you!

Chin up, chuck. Onward and upward. There's a job out there with your name on it, and you'll find it soon. :console:
    Thanks.

I know they value me and have given me a glowing reference. I felt myself that I didn't interview as strongly as I had elsewhere the day before and both the head and deputy said they've been in the same situation in the past and acknowledged that it's very difficult applying for a job in a school you already work in.

It came down to the decision of the governor*and it's some comfort to know the candidate they selected has 1 term of her nqt year under her belt. Apparently there was a huge difference in her interview compared to everyone else (more in depth answers etc) which they put down to her additional experience.

I've got another interview on Thursday which*I'm feeling quite positive about and a list of 9 or 10 other schools I'm getting ready to apply to.

That said, I was told today that there's a teacher at my current school who had an interview today and that if she goes the governor is 'leaving it up to the head what to do'. I don't know exactly what they mean by that, but I suppose time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I know they value me and have given me a glowing reference. I felt myself that I didn't interview as strongly as I had elsewhere the day before and both the head and deputy said they've been in the same situation in the past and acknowledged that it's very difficult applying for a job in a school you already work in.

It came down to the decision of the governor*and it's some comfort to know the candidate they selected has 1 term of her nqt year under her belt. Apparently there was a huge difference in her interview compared to everyone else (more in depth answers etc) which they put down to her additional experience.

I've got another interview on Thursday which*I'm feeling quite positive about and a list of 9 or 10 other schools I'm getting ready to apply to.

That said, I was told today that there's a teacher at my current school who had an interview today and that if she goes the governor is 'leaving it up to the head what to do'. I don't know exactly what they mean by that, but I suppose time will tell.
    Well, there you probably have it - a term of NQT already done is a third of the bother already out of the way for them. Something will turn up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Big hugs. I recently had an interview at my old secondary school, and I didn't get it. Was absolutely devastated but afterwards when I did get a job at another school, I felt like I would much rather start somewhere afresh. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Half term......In 3.... days.....

This term has dragged!!!

Absolutely dragged, slower than a snail.

Getting observed officially on Friday from University just to piss me off.

ReputationRep:
    This week is indeed dragging, knew it would do! I'm only one day ahead in lesson planning now but had a really good day today with my 3 lessons - even though at times I still feel like what am I doing, this is awful etc the end result seems to be positive and I am enjoying the teaching now it's so close to the end and there's not that much pressure.

So tired now, was going to mark the rest of year 9 assessments but will do it in my frees tomorrow I think!

Half term is going to be so sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Was contemplating how awful one might need to feel to be unable to go to school. From teacher's side, of course.
    Well, the rising fever answered it for me. The timing is the worst though! I don't think half-term is going to be even a tiny bit of fresh air. Too many things to do.

And I thought getting a job would put some weight off my shoulders...

Rant over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Was contemplating how awful one might need to feel to be unable to go to school. From teacher's side, of course.
    Well, the rising fever answered it for me. The timing is the worst though! I don't think half-term is going to be even a tiny bit of fresh air. Too many things to do.

And I thought getting a job would put some weight off my shoulders...

Rant over!
    I did the same today and realised I couldn't go in like this... One of my fellow trainees commented it could be stress related as I haven't had the easiest term.
    Was meant to have my two observations for the week today too and there are limited lessons left to do that now :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I did the same today and realised I couldn't go in like this... One of my fellow trainees commented it could be stress related as I haven't had the easiest term.
    Was meant to have my two observations for the week today too and there are limited lessons left to do that now :/
    For the first time in my life I had physical manifestations of stress this past week. I was waiting to hear about the job I really wanted and was sick to my stomach - cramps and everything. I've barely eaten since Friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I think the job hunt and double stress of it + usual school did it. I am now down with the heaviest flu I've had for a loooong time and I just don't know what to do. The end of my course and the Assessment is looming over me and now I am more and more stressed about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.