Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    i'm a bit of an nfl noob but....

New england were getting the ball back either through a touchdown or field goal (or a miss in either case), so if baltimore went for a fg on 4th and 6 then they would probably make the extra 3 points and level up (the percentage must be higher for a fg than a td here surely?).

Effectively, if they go for a 1st down then probably run the clock (it was at 5mins or so right) down a few minutes that leaves enough time for a new eng counter attack. Whereas, if they convert the field goal the clock time will be significantly greater which may;

1. Let them try for a td if england go on to score on their offensive drive

2. If they defend then they gain a minute or two on the offensive.

I think they should have scored a field goal because of the time on the clock. Correct me if i'm wrong btw
    You are wrong, to an extent.

I didn't see how many timeouts either team had left at this point, but if NE had plenty and so did the Raven's NE's drive could've easily lasted the remainder of the game.

Should the ravens converts the long field goal, Brady would've been in no rush. Likely option would be drive down the field for 4 and a half minutes (with run plays to keep the clock ticking) ,run the next play, let the clock wind down to about 5 seconds and then kick a field goal themselves. Either way, the Raven's would've still lost.

Only way anything good could've come from the Ravens would be either a) the Pats missing the return FG, or b) an exceptional defensive play to turn the ball over within 2 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    The thing I think Baltimore were worried about is Brady's ability to run the two minute and hurry offences. Even though he had been having a bad game, they knew he was more than capable of taking NE's offence down the field to win the game, as he has done many times before (including in Super Bowls). They probably wanted to leave as little time as possible for Brady.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how you can get to see the new Lombardi movie with Robert De Niro?

I have been finding it very hard to find info about it, all I know that it is released in US cinemas this week in the lead up to Superbowl, it is produced by ESPN, but I don't know if there will be a way to see it here, or if it will get uploaded onto Youtube like all the Americas Games episodes are.

ReputationRep:
    Damn Colts stole Pagano! >:/

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear the Gronk is questionable for the super bowl D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    Oh dear the Gronk is questionable for the super bowl D:
    Not Suprising: His injury looked exactly the same as the one that Big Ben had a few weeks back, the one that made him almost immobile in the pocket. If he plays their is no way he'll be 100%.

His only saving grace right now is that the guy who fell on his ankle was way smaller (a DB I think) than the DL that fell on Bens, meaning theres a good chance the injury, a high ankle sprain? I think, will be hopefully be less bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rekyht)
    Not Suprising: His injury looked exactly the same as the one that Big Ben had a few weeks back, the one that made him almost immobile in the pocket. If he plays their is no way he'll be 100%.

His only saving grace right now is that the guy who fell on his ankle was way smaller (a DB I think) than the DL that fell on Bens, meaning theres a good chance the injury, a high ankle sprain? I think, will be hopefully be less bad.
    I knew there was just no way that the way Gronk got his ankle rolled was going to be able to just walk it off. There just simply wasnt. Gronk at less then 100% means patriots in trouble

ReputationRep:
    I knew there was just no way that the way Gronk got his ankle rolled was going to be able to just walk it off. There just simply wasnt. Gronk at less then 100% means patriots in trouble
    I don't think you are really, there's still Hernandez, Branch, Ochocinco, and obviously Wes Welker to throw to among others. No huddling coupled with Brady's quick release will speed things up and make it hard for the Giants to get to him, already having to deal with a very good O-Line as it is. Plus, preparing for that leaves the Giants in trouble with the run, which can be effective when used at the right times.

The Pats special teams has been a good unit this year and the defense has gotten better and better. I rate the Giants but the way the Pats play right now, I don't see 'em losing. It pains me to say that, as I'm a Dolphins fan, but unfortunately I can't see the Pats not winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rekyht)

yeh, high ankle sprain. Honestly he probably won't be at 100%, but there are of course different severities of high ankle sprains. You could be out anywhere from 2-3 days to a couple of months. Here's hoping it is only a mild one (week or two, until fully fit), so he can play at close to 100% next week.

edit: but last year remember Pouncey missed the SB with the same injury. At least we know he will play, a half fit Gronk = better than no Gronk.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Any one know where I can watch the Pro Bowl online in the UK? Like what sites are streaming and what not. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietAlphaGolf)
    Hi

Any one know where I can watch the Pro Bowl online in the UK? Like what sites are streaming and what not. Thanks
    Sent you a PM

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietAlphaGolf)
    Thanks man
    no problem, your welcome. Starts at midnight UK time, so still considering whether to stay up and watch a bit of it.

ReputationRep:
    The pro bowl is honestly worse than the preseason. Mind you I quite like preseason because I am a dork.

Always good to watch the battle to be the last offensive lineman to make the team. Plus after a long offseason anything is a good.

Maybe they should move the pro bowl to August

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    The pro bowl is honestly worse than the preseason. Mind you I quite like preseason because I am a dork.

Always good to watch the battle to be the last offensive lineman to make the team. Plus after a long offseason anything is a good.

Maybe they should move the pro bowl to August
    This is going to be the first pro bowl i've watched. I'm staying up for it so what's wrong wit it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunghamz)
    This is going to be the first pro bowl i've watched. I'm staying up for it so what's wrong wit it?
    First up you're only allowed a 4-3 defense on every snap, you must use a TE on every snap and no blitzing is allowed, so it's basically vanilla football very watered down by extra safety measures.

Secondly the players themselves don't really care. They're at the end of a long season and just want to stay out of harm's way.

It means there's like no tackling and the score ends up being along the lines of 62-59 or some other college like final.

ReputationRep:
    Danger mouse has proved his point. Players literally were allowed to run past and it looked like no one cared lol, this is no way what true NFL is lol

ReputationRep:
    The Pro Bowl is actually painful.

ReputationRep:
    it was a good TD from AFC before though! bounced off his foot hahaha.

But yea,, ths game is awful! I'm just glad I backed afc on a bet haha

ReputationRep:
    The Saints scored more points against the Colts in a game with meaning, where the players were actually trying to tackle: Than a team composed entirely of AFC All Stars, where you get 50 yards if you can just catch the ball. Just sayin'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.