Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need to do any preparation for maths, unless you didn't take further maths at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    BTW, maths people, where did you get these problem sheets/reading lists? Did they come in the post/email from your college or did you get them off the maths institute site? I haven't had anything subject specific from my college
    I was sent a subset of the aforelinked problem sheets to do BEFORE THE END OF SEPTEMBER POST IT TO ME FAST FAST FAST.:eek:

About the email addresses - I got my @worc.ox.ac.uk address today (pronounced work dot ox dot ack dot uck too ) and got so excited! I have it all set up in Mail as my "Nexus" account and all. I feel so proper! (This was before I started reading Numbers and Proofs )

To the physicist - I don't think it is mathsy enough. It wants to prove it's less than 9, not less than or equal to rt41, which is what I can prove

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Yeah so if -\sqrt{41}< 5sinx-4cosx < \sqrt{41} Then surely it follows that 5sinx - 4cosx < 9 because obviously \sqrt{41}<9? (Or am I just not being mathsy enough? :p:)
    Yeah this is true right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasmask)
    To the physicist - I don't think it is mathsy enough. It wants to prove it's less than 9, not less than or equal to rt41, which is what I can prove
    But \sqrt 41 < 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RupertTheBear)
    Yeah this is true right?
    Yes it's true but it just...FEELS wrong ok?!

ReputationRep:
    Pad it out with something like "since the real numbers form an ordered set and '<' is transitive, the conclusion follows to QED"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Pad it out with something like "since the real numbers form an ordered set and '<' is transitive, the conclusion follows to QED"?
    Will do. Not like it's even one of the things I have to send back so doesn't really matter...

ReputationRep:
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Crikey it's been a long time since I posted on TSR... Quick Fresher question... I just got eMailed my eMail login details.... do we need to register now on studentsystem.ox.ac.uk ?? My fresher's pack didn't mention it - I just had insomnia last night and ended up clicking around...

And... Hi geeks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I was just wondering whether any English/history/arts students in general have been set any essays fir over the summer. I feel out of practice, and therefore one of my friends' mum (English at 'the other place') has set me one. My essay skills are a bit rusty...I might be here a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    I've only just realised how hideously dense most academic history is. Yuck. Why do academics use so many loooooong words?

And I think you may be in a minority for that pronunciation. I go for the long-winded tongue twister of every letter.
    How long did it take from you registering your account on the OUSS before you could access your Nexus e-mail and Weblearn? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny18)
    Hello there,

I was just wondering whether any English/history/arts students in general have been set any essays fir over the summer. I feel out of practice, and therefore one of my friends' mum (English at 'the other place') has set me one. My essay skills are a bit rusty...I might be here a while.
    No essays for history, just lots of recommended reading.

(Original post by Bax-man)
    How long did it take from you registering your account on the OUSS before you could access your Nexus e-mail and Weblearn? Cheers.
    Nexus email accepted me right away, whilst I had to wait for the following day to get onto Weblearn.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Hope youre all excited for starting Ox!
    Anyone going to be in Jesus college?
    Also wondered, do undergrads have a proper freshers fest party week? Cos Im postgrad but I look 19 and I feel 19 so Im gutted if theres a proper undergrad freshers week which Im not allowed to attend! So far it looks like I get a drinks reception with the college staff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    Nexus email accepted me right away, whilst I had to wait for the following day to get onto Weblearn.
    Ditto. I set up IMAP on Nexus immediately too (and got terribly over-excited by it), but was disappointed by the lack of Weblearn till this morning - commence further over-excitement! (Over something which I'm sure I'll come to hate)...

Edit: Just checked out Weblearn. There's nothing on there! I'd at least expect the Computer Laboratory to use it.

ReputationRep:
    I've just gotten onto my @exeter.ox.ac.uk e-mail address. This is all suddenly becoming rather real.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Hey, I'm doing History at Keble, and while we haven't been set essays we have been set a series of 750 word 'critical appreciations' to write, if that's any help...

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I emailed my admissions officer and she said she shouldn't have sent me the Victorian list and the essay, so I no longer have to do it! Even though my list has gotten considerably smaller, my productivity has shrunk as a result Oh dear

ReputationRep:
    About the email addresses - I got my @worc.ox.ac.uk address today (pronounced work dot ox dot ack dot uck too ) and got so excited! I have it all set up in Mail as my &quot;Nexus&quot; account and all. I feel so proper! (This was before I started reading Numbers and Proofs )
    I set up Mail on both my phone and laptop as soon as I got my account, it felt much more real knowing that I was all ready to receive emails

Hello there,

I haven't been set any essays, but I had the same worry so might just write one on something for practice. I have been trying to do bits of creative writing so that I don't entirely forget what forming coherent sentences is though.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. I set up IMAP on Nexus immediately too (and got terribly over-excited by it), but was disappointed by the lack of Weblearn till this morning - commence further over-excitement! (Over something which I'm sure I'll come to hate)...

Edit: Just checked out Weblearn. There's nothing on there! I'd at least expect the Computer Laboratory to use it.
    The Computing Laboratory? What's that?

I reckon the techies are sometimes the hardest to convince to use new things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    The Computing Laboratory?
    I could swear the sign outside said Computing Laboratory...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.