Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    If you think you're a 3 A* candidate then you should be applying higher than that. Try not to think about social life, a lot of people worry about it but no matter where you go you'll find like-minded people and have a good time.

Try applying for Oxf/Camb, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol/Nottingham/Bath. For Econ I'd steer clear of Leeds, Birmingham is good but not good enough if you're capable of those grades. If you want to play it safe then drop Oxbridge and go for Bristol and Nottingham.
    Also what do you mean by "not good enough"? for an A* candidate?
    in what aspects? surely the job prospects will be similar afterwards as long as i go to a russle group??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickcromb96)
    Also what do you mean by "not good enough"? for an A* candidate?
    in what aspects? surely the job prospects will be similar afterwards as long as i go to a russle group??
    Some of the top employers favour or directly recruit from the top unis e.g. LSE UCL and Oxbridge especially. Simply put, better unis have better job prospects. Therefore the ones nedstark mentioned are ones you want to be aiming for. Nevertheless you can still get a good job if you go to Birmingham, but why not go to the best uni you can go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    interesting point! can you elaborate?
    Well a graduate from Oxbridge or Harvard would have opportunities not available to one from a relatively unknown university and will continue to receive deserved or undeserved recognition years after graduation. For those who can take advantage of such reputational effects they can benefit from it. Now that is not to say a graduate from other universities are not good or will not be as or even more successful. Just that they get some advantage without doing more. Economics degree from Oxbridge and LSE as well as UCL/Warwick helps to open doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    Well a graduate from Oxbridge or Harvard would have opportunities not available to one from a relatively unknown university and will continue to receive deserved or undeserved recognition years after graduation. For those who can take advantage of such reputational effects they can benefit from it. Now that is not to say a graduate from other universities are not good or will not be as or even more successful. Just that they get some advantage without doing more. Economics degree from Oxbridge and LSE as well as UCL/Warwick helps to open doors.
    fair enough ! previously i assumed since Leeds and Birmingham were russel group unis and are two of the most 'targeted' by employers the advantage from going to the unis you mentioned would only be negligible? but i wasnt aware that they open that many more doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFR)
    Probably in the order you put them. Oxford will offer a fantastic quality course, Warwick tends to be very mathematical which is seen as beneficial by employers such as financial institutions. Durham is seen as less mathematically rigorous but of course it is still a great course. Not sure about St. Andrews. But picking any of them as your first choice would offer a great quality of teaching so don't worry, be happy to get an offer off any!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , I really want to study economics and politics as joint honors , but nearly all Uni's are asking for a B at maths GCSE but I got a C , will they definitely decline me or are some uni's lenient.

fair enough ! previously i assumed since Leeds and Birmingham were russel group unis and are two of the most 'targeted' by employers the advantage from going to the unis you mentioned would only be negligible? but i wasnt aware that they open that many more doors.
    With your AS UMS and predicted grades, I would definitely recommend applying to at least Warwick/UCL if not Oxbridge/LSE.

In the end, it is your decision but it would be unwise to base your decision on social life.
    Oh and also backing up what the others said, many employers often just see the university name and that can determine whether you get an interview or not. That is why the name of, for example, "Oxford" or "LSE" matters so much! Places like Birmingham and Leeds pale in comparison - definietly not just a negligible difference!

ReputationRep:
    What sort of additional material does everyone go over for Econ A level (doing edexcel)
    Which textbooks would you recommend (we're given Anderton but it's 10x the Harry potter novel in length! This is a major put off)

unit 4 seems impossible and only just started?!?! It's also 120ums!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.