Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Bro I am sorry to hear that. Its just stupid to reject people on the basis of PS. Its very subjective.
    Did you apply for Social policy and economics? That course has 170 applicants for 4 places, its insanely competitive.
    I know, I'd much rather them tell me my grades aren't good enough as that is something that can be properly compared and impossible for me to doubt. I know my PS was good and very tailored to the course and besides, it's unfair to reject on PS because the PS has to be fit for all 5 choices. Just adding insult to injury. And yeah it was that course and yeah I know it was competitive but I still thought I had a shot at it :/ oh well life goes on! Hopefully I will get Oxford instead

ReputationRep:
    just got an email saying my application is still under consideration and to add two weeks to the dealine they said. from what they said, it looks like i wont hear till the new year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerribleTej)
    Rejected for Maths and Economics, then again I already have an offer for Economics so not that much bothered but it would have been nice to have had all 5 offers so I could blag about it on Facebook and Twitter.
    I think LSE have a policy of only giving one offer out. Someone posted a link on this to their FAQs a while back. So perhaps they thought you were more suited to Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    just got an email saying my application is still under consideration and to add two weeks to the dealine they said. from what they said, it looks like i wont hear till the new year
    Same here....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzfail)
    I know, I'd much rather them tell me my grades aren't good enough as that is something that can be properly compared and impossible for me to doubt. I know my PS was good and very tailored to the course and besides, it's unfair to reject on PS because the PS has to be fit for all 5 choices. Just adding insult to injury. And yeah it was that course and yeah I know it was competitive but I still thought I had a shot at it :/ oh well life goes on! Hopefully I will get Oxford instead
    I really think LSE should use interviews instead of PS. It's now passed but to be honest, I personally wouldn't have applied for that course with such low intake.
    Finger crossed for you about Oxford(and likewise for me). What course have you applied for, Economics and Management?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chripro)
    Same here....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here. Just got a heart attack thinking it was a decision email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Considering there aren't even 2 weeks left in 2013 and they've told you it'll be another 2 weeks then yes it is fairly likely that you won't hear until the new year.

Sorry for the sarcasm I'm just cross because I got rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Rejection for maths & econ, knew it was going to happen.
    sorry to hear about the rejection, may I know what were your grades like?

ReputationRep:
    Considering there aren't even 2 weeks left in 2013 and they've told you it'll be another 2 weeks then yes it is fairly likely that you won't hear until the new year.

Sorry for the sarcasm I'm just cross because I got rejected
    lol i think the rejection may have gone to your head.

they didnt give me a deadline in the email...it would be pretty stupid to give me a deadline and in the same email say add 2 weeks to that deadline i just wrote in the last sentence, they are referring to the previous 5 week deadline that i received back in october

comisserations on the rejection btw

ReputationRep:
    I really think LSE should use interviews instead of PS. It's now passed but to be honest, I personally wouldn't have applied for that course with such low intake.
    Finger crossed for you about Oxford(and likewise for me). What course have you applied for, Economics and Management?
    Haha you should never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game! If you never try you'll never know, yeah I got rejected and so won't be studying that course but at least by applying I gave myself the chance. There were no other courses that interested me as much as that one did at LSE. Nah not E and M, PPE

ReputationRep:
    Aw yay just got the bull**** template email saying my statement didn't show sufficient interest.

They must think we're stupid if they think they can send us all an identical reason for our rejections and we won't notice. They could at least have 3 or 4 different templates ready to make it ever so slightly less disrespectful.

I know I sound bitter, I'm not upset about the rejection just the so-called reason for it. You'd think they could take 2 minutes to write a more useful response but they're probably too busy not sticking to their deadlines.
    Same here! Besides, I think using just the PS for making decisions is extremely unfair. I know some people who literally had their parents or tutors write theirs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just had a heart attack from that email that LSE sent about them now being closed for the holidays.

Honestly thought it was going to be a rejection :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol i think the rejection may have gone to your head.

they didnt give me a deadline in the email...it would be pretty stupid to give me a deadline and in the same email say add 2 weeks to that deadline i just wrote in the last sentence, they are referring to the previous 5 week deadline that i received back in october

comisserations on the rejection btw
    But by adding 2 weeks to the deadline they've told you it will be at least another 2 weeks until you hear, which means 3rd January at the very earliest. So of course you won't hear until the new year, your OP suggested you still thought there was a possibility (albeit a small one) that you could hear by the end of this year.

ReputationRep:
    But by adding 2 weeks to the deadline they've told you it will be at least another 2 weeks until you hear, which means 3rd January at the very earliest. So of course you won't hear until the new year, your OP suggested you still thought there was a possibility (albeit a small one) that you could hear by the end of this year.
    no because my 5 weeks ended nearly 2 weeks ago, so adding 2 weeks to that deadline of 5 weeks means i technically should hear by monday (they said they were closing on next monday). but since they dont stick to deadlines for most people, it is unlikely theyre going to start now.... (so there is a possibility, but its obviously unlikely and its only LSE so theres no point expecting a decision when i can just wait till next year)

ReputationRep:
    Haha you should never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game! If you never try you'll never know, yeah I got rejected and so won't be studying that course but at least by applying I gave myself the chance. There were no other courses that interested me as much as that one did at LSE. Nah not E and M, PPE
    True that. You should always go with what you enjoy.
    You did an amazing job getting the interview for PPE, by the way. Only 45% are shortlisted.I really hope you'll get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    That's a fair point, but 1) I know a good amount of people currently in the industry which include a sibling who is an IBD analyst at one of the American banks. They all tell me that LSE's reputation is not the massive 'differentiating' tool that some people try to suggest.

You have completely misinterpreted what I've said. If you look back to my original post, I was placing emphasis on social factors, rather than 'IB prospects'. Academic prestige/reputation are essentially the same thing, so I've no idea why you felt the need to mention both separately. You seem to agree that LSE and UCL provide very similar job prospects, hence why I've said applicants should look into the social aspects of both universities more prior to choosing.

Difference between UCL and LSE is way smaller than LSE v Bath. Generally speaking, most people strive to get into the best university possible. There's really not that much to suggest that Bath or Bristol have a better social life than UCL broadly speaking. My perception of UCL has it as a fairly normal 'top' Russell Group university in terms of the social life.
    Tbh no uni gives a differentiating tool. Good uni + grades are a given when you have a ridiculous amount of applicants.

That wasnt clear, I meant academic reputation for the subject and overall academic prestige of university which isnt necessarily the same thing. For instance UCL Mech Eng isnt anywhere near top5 but the uni as a whole might be considered to be.

Last point is debatable but most would agree Bristol social > UCL social.

ReputationRep:
    True that. You should always go with what you enjoy.
    You did an amazing job getting the interview for PPE, by the way. Only 45% are shortlisted.I really hope you'll get in.
    Aw thanks so much, best of luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    It seems like all the rejections were due to the PS, I really don't buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meekayla)
    Same here! Besides, I think using just the PS for making decisions is extremely unfair. I know some people who literally had their parents or tutors write theirs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unfortunately that happens, people get an unfair advantage. I know an LSE Law applicant who has quite a few connections. He's had a Law student look over and edit his personal statement. LSE will never know that, they would just assume he has a good interest in Law. His grades will support his statement since he can afford private tutors to aid him. That's just how it is and there isn't much we can do about it. All we can do is go that extra mile on our own grades and personal statement and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    It seems like all the rejections were due to the PS, I really don't buy it.
    People shouldn't take it personally, do you really think the admissions people should give a complex analysis of why each and every person was rejected as it is probably down to a combination of grades and PS being not as good as the other people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.