Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    x

Posted from TSR
    Year 11! Seems everyone does maths early

(Original post by Robbie242)
    y
    Some people (like myself) didn't get the moments at all! At least you got it, even if it took you awhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Not a clue precisely how competitive, but unless it's Medicine anything >90% usually nabs you an interview at least.
    Yeah, I still have a 90% average even with the M1. So I'll slowly bring it up I hope... If not :dontknow: worst case, I apply to "the other place" :mmm:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ah that's good! I'd pretty nearly much equally like to go Warwick as well so that certainly is good news! and cheers that is reassuring, just need to smash FP1 to pieces to breach 90ums in further maths as an average
    Yeah and it's quite a nice university too, I'm curious to see what the course is like considering the fact people on TSR say its incredibly challenging and will take over your life, but I'll just have to wait a few months to find out

Also that's very capable because I only concentrated on FP1 last year for the week before the exam as I had it in my head that I'd be dropping Further Maths and I came out with 93, so it wasn't too bad really but I could've got 100 as I know the exact place I made my stupid mistake!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    It was only D1 and I felt like I had some time to kill alongside doing the GCSE in Maths too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAyman12)
    I know proof by induction (I've been self-teaching FP1 for about two weeks now) but what I meant is the approach itself and the ideas.
    Practice. :P

ReputationRep:
    It's weird because before the exam I was smashing all the questions to pieces but in the exam my mind froze on suvat, I don't know how I even mustered up a suitable solution for moments however, it took me ages !
    Same

But with other questions... 10 raw marks, POOF! :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Not a clue precisely how competitive, but unless it's Medicine anything >90% usually nabs you an interview at least.

M1 will likely raise an eyebrow, but will not destroy an application. S1 will matter less if you've performed better in S2. 100 in C2 is infallible and 98 in C1 (Am I remembering correctly?) is also excellent. My guess? The scores would be sufficient to get to interview, but will be a bit lower than average in total so you'd be looking to rock the interview.

I do not know precisely what averages Physical Natsci would be expecting, but I would imagine they're expecting fairly high (Although not as high as Maths as they auto-pool). Again, they may ask you to explain M1 but it's highly unlikely to damage your application on its own, especially if your other modules go fine. How is the Physics going?

To both of you: a single module is not sufficient to break an application. One of the people on the STEP school I met (So a successful Maths applicant) did not have an A in FP1, which is significantly more damaging than what either of you two are expecting. You may well be asked what happened with M1 if it's an outlier with respect to your other scores and it will bring down your average slightly in comparison to other applicants but it is not going to break your application. Most people have an off day with a certain module or two.
    Thanks for the solid advice DJ, would you think Cambridge would deliberately see my scores to then impose tough mechanics qs at the interview perhaps, is each interview based on an individual or is it just ''questions from a hat'' kinda thing?. My initial thoughts are the former.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It was only D1 and I felt like I had some time to kill alongside doing the GCSE in Maths too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see. How did it go?

ReputationRep:

I do not know precisely what averages Physical Natsci would be expecting, but I would imagine they're expecting fairly high (Although not as high as Maths as they auto-pool). Again, they may ask you to explain M1 but it's highly unlikely to damage your application on its own, especially if your other modules go fine. How is the Physics going?

To both of you: a single module is not sufficient to break an application. One of the people on the STEP school I met (So a successful Maths applicant) did not have an A in FP1, which is significantly more damaging than what either of you two are expecting. You may well be asked what happened with M1 if it's an outlier with respect to your other scores and it will bring down your average slightly in comparison to other applicants but it is not going to break your application. Most people have an off day with a certain module or two.
    Well, I'm still going to start "A level Physics" this summer.

Hopefully, I can still perform well in my other modules and average quite well. There is a big chance however, that I'll redo AS maths because I would have to complete my A2 on CIE. The school I'm going to next year doesn't offer Edexcel.

ReputationRep:

Some people (like myself) didn't get the moments at all! At least you got it, even if it took you awhile.
    Yeah true! about taking moments approximately 4 times I finally reached my second simultaneous equation, in my first taking of moments I immediately got mx=100, the second one was very much more harder to get

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the solid advice DJ, would you think Cambridge would deliberately see my scores to then impose tough mechanics qs at the interview perhaps, is each interview based on an individual or is it just ''questions from a hat'' kinda thing?. My initial thoughts are the former.
    It's possible. I remember reading a user called 'Hassi94' or something say:
    "Interviewer: So...you haven't done any mechanics modules in maths. Let's do some mechanics!"
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I see. How did it go?
    I got 90 UMS in it so wasn't the best but not the worst either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    "Interviewer: So...you haven't done any mechanics modules in maths. Let's do some mechanics!"
    Ahah! That must've being torture :P, I suppose they will base mechanics in my interview around M1 concepts (I watched the mock interview and the girl was doing a lift problem and acceleration/speed time graphs )
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I got 90 UMS in it so wasn't the best but not the worst either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice score .

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think so. Based on discussions with LotF, Georgie, and others who applied to Pembroke this year we all got a similar set of questions (Which I am not going to divulge, before anyone asks) despite having covered different things and going in with different modular scores. The questions are switched around a bit (e.g. I got a couple LotF didn't get, and he got a couple I didn't get) but the core of it was the same, so I don't think you should be worrying about this.

(Original post by MAyman12)
    Well, I'm still going to start "A level Physics" this summer.

Hopefully, I can still perform well in my other modules and average quite well. There is a big chance however, that I'll redo AS maths because I would have to complete my A2 on CIE. The school I'm going to next year doesn't offer Edexcel.
    Or you could self-teach the A2. If you're planning on making a realistic application to Cambridge for Maths this shouldn't be a sufficiently daunting prospect.

ReputationRep:
    Ahah! That must've being torture :P, I suppose they will base mechanics in my interview around M1 concepts (I watched the mock interview and the girl was doing a lift problem and acceleration/speed time graphs )
    I'm sure your interview will be a lot harder than that Emma girl's interview, though. xD But yes, I would've thought it was some basic mechanics. A lot of the time in interviews, they'll introduce you to new concepts and see how you adapt.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Nice score .
    Thanks, I just wish I could say it was my lowest but that's far from the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahaha I would like to know his reaction:rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks, I just wish I could say it was my lowest but that's far from the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rolleyes: Is it just maths you have left now?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure your interview will be a lot harder than that Emma girl's interview, though. xD But yes, I would've thought it was some basic mechanics. A lot of the time in interviews, they'll introduce you to new concepts and see how you adapt.
    I was watching the interview and I was like, really? dy/dx a few logs and some speed time graphs, it was dated 4yrs ago or so and I suppose they put it up on the website so they didn't scare candidates :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.