Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Scotland has a Labour swing of only 5% with the Tories standing still so that will reduce it a bit. I think the Tories stand in NI.

Yup, they run on my street I think.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, now that these trifling elections are over... we can turn our attention to the important one: The Speakership

Anyone got any thoughts on who may or may not be running?
    Could be an interesting one I think!

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant night for the Tories. Labour are paying the price of playing politics too much. I think it's a shame to see the Lib Dems eradicated, I'd much sooner see them a force in the EU than Westminster.

As for the Greens, a mixed night. We were targeting 4-6 MEPs and 'only' ended up with 3 with a decreased vote share. However, beating the Lib Dems is an incredible achievement for a party with next to no media coverage. I thought the BBC coverage was really bad, where the only green conversation in the first few hours was a dismissal of a Green vote as nothing more than a protest, and that the Greens don't say anything on Europe.

Spare a thought for us living in the East of England - 3 Tories, 3 Kippers and 1 Labour. Four of the 7 MEPs are climate deniers in the region most susceptible to sea level rise.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by bun)
    Sooo, now that these trifling elections are over... we can turn our attention to the important one: The Speakership

Anyone got any thoughts on who may or may not be running?
    Could be an interesting one I think!
    I think that the Speakership election will be rather interesting and I've got to be honest and say that I can't immediately bring to mind any obvious candidates. This is rather good for anyone who runs though because they won't be competing against someone who's seen as the perfect candidate so to speak (for example when TCIT was elected as Speaker).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I think that the Speakership election will be rather interesting and I've got to be honest and say that I can't immediately bring to mind any obvious candidates. This is rather good for anyone who runs though because they won't be competing against someone who's seen as the perfect candidate so to speak (for example when TCIT was elected as Speaker).
    That's a good point. I think there are some very able candidates on all sides of the political spectrum, and I reckon I can guess at 3 people who'll be standing, all of whom would make excellent Speakers. And one who may stand, who I think would be pretty bad haha.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by bun)
    That's a good point. I think there are some very able candidates on all sides of the political spectrum, and I reckon I can guess at 3 people who'll be standing, all of whom would make excellent Speakers. And one who may stand, who I think would be pretty bad haha.
    I think that we'll have lots of capable candidates, but the key thing in this vote will be who is the most capable and who has the best vision for the House. That said, I've got very little idea of who is putting themselves forward as everyone is keeping their cards close to their chest.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a good idea of about 3 people who will be standing. May be completely wrong but pretty sure of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    x
    Great night for the Greens- Liberals beaten, job done.

So glad that the UKIP seat in Scotland wiped the smile of Salmonds face. He should have won that.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say that i find the economics of the movie industry really interesting for some reason. It's taken the new Xmen movie just 3 days to smash its budget (by the end of tonight it will have breached $300m globally).

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry to bother everyone, but I have a quick query !

I've never been 100 pcnt certain of where I stand in terms of any political party. If you'd ask me a few months ago I would have told you that I support UKIP, but in the past few weeks I've started to believe they're too right-wing for what I believe (e.g. I don't support privatisation of the NHS). I did a political spectrum test last night and an "isidewith" test to see where I stand:

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Was similar to this, only a margin more to the right and down:

I'm given to believe the result on the spectrum is close to where the Liberal Democrats lie (?) and I am genuinely astounded as I've never imagined myself agreeing with them due to their Pro-EU beliefs.

Anyone, can someone read through my basic principles and see what TSR Party & IRL Party I relate close enough to?:

Spoiler:
    Show

Taxation: I support raising the minimum threshold to protect the poorest and then implementing a flat rate of tax for all incomes up to 80,000. After that, a 10pcnt increase for all incomes 80,000+.
    NHS: Don't support privatisation at all, but I do support the charging of certain services (e.g. Dentistry).
    Environmental issues: I encourage giving businesses incentives to become more 'environmentally' friendly and also the increased use of nuclear power alongside other renewable energy sources, but provided it is an economically viable option and does not restrict business & individual freedoms.
    EU: I would support a referendum provided a reform of the EU was at least attempted first in order to bring the focus back on trading partnerships as opposed to the legislative side. If the reform proved invaluable, then a referendum should be offered.
    Immigration: Tighter restrictions, implement a system similar to Australia essentially.
    Education: Halt Michael Gove's ridiculous interference in the education system and reverse his damage. Alongside this, emphasise the importance of the arts, "modernise" English Literature, make foreign languages compulsory once again and allow students to resit their exam the same year (i.e. If you sit an exam in June 2014, find out your result early August 2014 and decide to resit, you should be able to resit late August 2014 as opposed to waiting an entire year). Also, reduce tuition fees very marginally.

I'm not really after a debate right now, just which party I'd suit :P If you need me to state anything else just ask. Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    As for the Greens, a mixed night. We were targeting 4-6 MEPs and 'only' ended up with 3 with a decreased vote share. However, beating the Lib Dems is an incredible achievement for a party with next to no media coverage. I thought the BBC coverage was really bad, where the only green conversation in the first few hours was a dismissal of a Green vote as nothing more than a protest, and that the Greens don't say anything on Europe.
    But on the plus side, I believe 3 seats is the best result for the Greens to date? And I know the result in Scotland is the highest the Scottish Greens have ever achieved in a national election!

Spare a thought for us living in the East of England - 3 Tories, 3 Kippers and 1 Labour. Four of the 7 MEPs are climate deniers in the region most susceptible to sea level rise.
    I remember watching that result come in and being so very thankful I don't live in that region... My thoughts are with you!

(Original post by meenu89)
    So glad that the UKIP seat in Scotland wiped the smile of Salmonds face. He should have won that.
    On the other hand, it's pretty remarkable to still be winning the most votes in a traditionally anti-establishment election after seven years in government. Something neither Labour nor the Conservatives have achieved in the last twenty-five years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    x
    Hello there is a thread for this, but this works too!

The TSR Liberal Party is much like the Lib Dems (that you are close to) and in concern with the EU I think I am right in saying that most of our party would support some kind of ratification or referendum n Europe (me being one of then) Taxation, Education and Environmentally you fit very well in the Liberal Parties beliefs!

Feel free to join the Liberals or any other party by clicking HERE

ReputationRep:
    Well done UKIP & Farage!

The earthquake has struck and it has sent the other parties trembling.
    Despite all the slander, negative press and biased propaganda UKIP were able to rise above it and gain lots of new MEPs.

The Green 'surge' was non-existent, the leader now denies saying she expected 6 new MEPs and the lib dems were essentially wiped out.

It is also the first time, since 1910, that a nationwide election hasn't been won by Labour or the Conservatives.

A brilliant result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Hey sorry to bother everyone, but I have a quick query !

I've never been 100 pcnt certain of where I stand in terms of any political party. If you'd ask me a few months ago I would have told you that I support UKIP, but in the past few weeks I've started to believe they're too right-wing for what I believe (e.g. I don't support privatisation of the NHS). I did a political spectrum test last night and an "isidewith" test to see where I stand:

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Was similar to this, only a margin more to the right and down:

I'm given to believe the result on the spectrum is close to where the Liberal Democrats lie (?) and I am genuinely astounded as I've never imagined myself agreeing with them due to their Pro-EU beliefs.

Anyone, can someone read through my basic principles and see what TSR Party & IRL Party I relate close enough to?:

Spoiler:
    Show

Taxation: I support raising the minimum threshold to protect the poorest and then implementing a flat rate of tax for all incomes up to 80,000. After that, a 10pcnt increase for all incomes 80,000+.
    NHS: Don't support privatisation at all, but I do support the charging of certain services (e.g. Dentistry).
    Environmental issues: I encourage giving businesses incentives to become more 'environmentally' friendly and also the increased use of nuclear power alongside other renewable energy sources, but provided it is an economically viable option and does not restrict business & individual freedoms.
    EU: I would support a referendum provided a reform of the EU was at least attempted first in order to bring the focus back on trading partnerships as opposed to the legislative side. If the reform proved invaluable, then a referendum should be offered.
    Immigration: Tighter restrictions, implement a system similar to Australia essentially.
    Education: Halt Michael Gove's ridiculous interference in the education system and reverse his damage. Alongside this, emphasise the importance of the arts, "modernise" English Literature, make foreign languages compulsory once again and allow students to resit their exam the same year (i.e. If you sit an exam in June 2014, find out your result early August 2014 and decide to resit, you should be able to resit late August 2014 as opposed to waiting an entire year). Also, reduce tuition fees very marginally.

I'm not really after a debate right now, just which party I'd suit :P If you need me to state anything else just ask. Thanks in advance!!
    No party matches you completely but your a man/woman of the right and that enables you to join a moderate and pragmatic party based around capitalist principles.

Welcome to the Tory Party.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pro...editusergroups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Well done UKIP & Farage!

The earthquake has struck and it has sent the other parties trembling.
    Despite all the slander, negative press and biased propaganda UKIP were able to rise above it and gain lots of new MEPs.

The Green 'surge' was non-existent, the leader now denies saying she expected 6 new MEPs and the lib dems were essentially wiped out.

It is also the first time, since 1910, that a nationwide election hasn't been won by Labour or the Conservatives.

A brilliant result.
    The Green 'surge' - whatever that means, despite never hearing it be uttered even after campaigning with the Greens for a few weeks now. We were targeting 6 MEP's but got 3, I don't think that's anything to be disheartened about, we were close in the North West to getting a seat as well as other places.

Biased propaganda? Are you serious? UKIP get a tonne of media attention, some of it positive, some negative, some unbiased. Greens get close to nothing, there's essentially a media blackout on anything Green related so don't spout that rubbish.

You may have done well in Europe but let's not forget the local elections, UKIP won no council seats across the country, they even managed to do worse than the 'essentially wiped out Lib Dems.'

I imagine the UK will get up off their arses next year and stop UKIP getting anywhere near our national parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    The Green 'surge' - whatever that means, despite never hearing it be uttered even after campaigning with the Greens for a few weeks now. We were targeting 6 MEP's but got 3, I don't think that's anything to be disheartened about, we were close in the North West to getting a seat as well as other places.

Biased propaganda? Are you serious? UKIP get a tonne of media attention, some of it positive, some negative, some unbiased. Greens get close to nothing, there's essentially a media blackout on anything Green related so don't spout that rubbish.

You may have done well in Europe but let's not forget the local elections, UKIP won no council seats across the country, they even managed to do worse than the 'essentially wiped out Lib Dems.'

I imagine the UK will get up off their arses next year and stop UKIP getting anywhere near our national parliament.
    They achieved 50% of their target, that is poor. The media has been mostly negative towards UKIP, don't deny it. The Greens got enough coverage for their size and votes, they are -0.7% from last time. Also a reason that UKIP got more airtime is because OFCOM decided that UKIP should get the same amount of air time as the other 3 main parties.

UKIP won 163 council seats in the local elections. They had the second largest gains.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The European Election results suggest that we HAVE entered a period of 4-party politics:

UKIP
    Labour
    Conservatives
    Green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    They achieved 50% of their target, that is poor. The media has been mostly negative towards UKIP, don't deny it. The Greens got enough coverage for their size and votes, they are -0.7% from last time. Also a reason that UKIP got more airtime is because OFCOM decided that UKIP should get the same amount of air time as the other 3 main parties.
    "There is no such thing as bad publicity" - Oscar Wilde.

If the Greens were getting the same amount of publicity as UKIP, even if it was overtly negative, we'd have done much better. I do agree that UKIP's electoral victories does warrant a degree of airtime, and I'm not complaining that they're getting more than the Greens, but the sheer amount of airtime UKIP is getting is completely unwarranted, while the Greens are almost blanked out entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    On the other hand, it's pretty remarkable to still be winning the most votes in a traditionally anti-establishment election after seven years in government. Something neither Labour nor the Conservatives have achieved in the last twenty-five years.
    Yes, I admit it is, but UKIP have come out of nowhere in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    "All publicity is good publicity" - Oscar Wilde.

If the Greens were getting the same amount of publicity as UKIP, even if it was overtly negative, we'd have done much better. I do agree that UKIP's electoral victories does warrant a degree of airtime, and I'm not complaining that they're getting more than the Greens, but the sheer amount of airtime UKIP is getting is completely unwarranted, while the Greens are almost blanked out entirely.
    I think now that the greens have come ahead of Lib Dems, they will get a fairer amount of air time. If anything, this should help you gain any remaining lib dem voters.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.