Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessSLT)
    Hi
    Thank you for your help and advice
    Yes it's level 3 healthcare sciences :-)
    I have a level and also a gnvq int. health and social care and also the needed maths and English gcse c , so it should be enough .

I have 4 children but yes if during school time I could maybe pay a childcare provider a couple of hours to have the two younger children ;-) .

It would be for sept 2016 as access will take me a year . So I have a few months till I apply to gain the work experience ... May start emailing a couple of organisations this week and see what they say I would love to shadow a SLT for a week but I'm not sure they do this ??

I may start reading books and online courses I think . As don't need childcare for that lol

Thank you

Hiya,

Getting shadowing experience is difficult as they prioritise NHS students already going the course for placements.

Therefore, I'd recommend volunteering for local charities associated with speech disorders. The most common are stroke association, headway, home start (but more so dealing with families with extra needs), and dementia cafe. Id recommend buying an introductory book to speech and language therapy from Amazon, as you might not source them at your local library. Also getting help and advice leaflets for parents and carers, which are free from doctors and hospitals, to give you more of an insight.

As for the childcare, theres a part time option at BCU, which you may find more suitable than full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naimah_786)
    Hi, bit random to ask but I know that last chance to do student finance is end of may but does that mean for myself to have sent it and received back confirmation before the end of may?
    Nope, as long as you've submitted it you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, bit random to ask but I know that last chance to do student finance is end of may but does that mean for myself to have sent it and received back confirmation before the end of may?
    I'm sure the deadline isn't the end of may as this is what it say on there website,

The deadline for applying is 9 months after the start of the academic year.

Plus if it was the deadline then how do people in clearing apply to student finance, well at least I hope its not may as I'm leaving my application till after my exams :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audiology-Med)
    I'm sure the deadline isn't the end of may as this is what it say on there website,

The deadline for applying is 9 months after the start of the academic year.

Plus if it was the deadline then how do people in clearing apply to student finance, well at least I hope its not may as I'm leaving my application till after my exams :P
    Yes that's what I though to. And my plan was to leave it after my exams as well as they are starting next week but so I don't know how I'm supposed to fit in- I left too late.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I though to. And my plan was to leave it after my exams as well as they are starting next week but so I don't know how I'm supposed to fit in- I left too late.
    If you're from England, Student Finance is easy - takes half an hour as you're only eligible for the minimum maintenance loan so you won't need to faff around with proof of income etc however you must meet the deadline of end of may if you want the student loan in September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    If you're from England, Student Finance is easy - takes half an hour as you're only eligible for the minimum maintenance loan so you won't need to faff around with proof of income etc however you must meet the deadline of end of may if you want the student loan in September

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

How is bonny Scotland? Can you believe we have almost done a whole year??? Its crazy how fast its gone.

You in the middle of exams? One down and three to go here (plus one more assessment and piece of coursework still to do). It's been a bit crazy since Feb/March time but fun too. Finish off the year with clinical placement at the end of June and am looking forward to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayeowen90)
    Sorry it took me soooo long to reply to this! You'll have to show me the bus route i could definitely use a quicker journey, it's going to take me about 1.45 door to door (at least it did when i went for the interview), i live in wem so about half hour from shifnal! I must be mad, haha yes i count on doing loads of reading on the train
    I haven't tried the bus yet, but plan on having a dummy run before so will let you know how I get on. Shifnal's quite a bit nearer but unfortunately the trains aren't as frequent as the more mainline stations. I don't know if you have discovered it yet but there is a student ticket you can get that covers the West Midlands, which seems to work out cheapest if we have to go in most days. I'm just hoping for local placements-in the 2nd and 3rd year!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm getting a bit confused with NHS bursary/student finance application... Firstly i can't actually verify my nhs bursary for some reason? the page just won't load! However for student finance do i need the completed nhs bursary outcome because doesn't that take some time once you've sent off everything you need to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aderyn96)
    Hi, i'm getting a bit confused with NHS bursary/student finance application... Firstly i can't actually verify my nhs bursary for some reason? the page just won't load! However for student finance do i need the completed nhs bursary outcome because doesn't that take some time once you've sent off everything you need to?
    Hey this is the correct link for the NHS bursary:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3942.aspx

I'm not sure why it might not be loading...Have you actually created an account yet?

And as far as I can remember from last year you don't need to have completed your NHS bursary application to be able to do your student finance application. There should be an option on the student finance application to say that you receive an NHS bursary and then it knows that your course is NHS funded.

The NHS bursary application does take some time to complete, like you said you do need to send off all the supporting evidence!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Is anyone going to, or hoping to go to, BCU? I've accepted a place there for 2015
    I'm in the middle of doing my NHS Bursary application. Does anyone know how many weeks/year we attend the BCU course?

Give me a yell if you're going to BCU. Looking forward to meeting everyone

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you so much for sending that link! Apparently they're doing some maintenance work which is why it wouldn't let me create an account earlier... But hopefully I can start it tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Hi

How is bonny Scotland? Can you believe we have almost done a whole year??? Its crazy how fast its gone.

You in the middle of exams? One down and three to go here (plus one more assessment and piece of coursework still to do). It's been a bit crazy since Feb/March time but fun too. Finish off the year with clinical placement at the end of June and am looking forward to that.
    Hey!

I know, it's mental how quick it goes!
    I start exams today XD but should be over in two and a bit weeks, and that's first year done! Have you done any placement already? We had two weeks after Easter and it was amazing, deffo the job for me in the future good luck with exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Booked my accommodation at DMU, it's all too real now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I know, it's mental how quick it goes!
    I start exams today XD but should be over in two and a bit weeks, and that's first year done! Have you done any placement already? We had two weeks after Easter and it was amazing, deffo the job for me in the future good luck with exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah doing exams now - one last week two this week and then final one the week after - then the video viva assessment (yikes) and portfolio to complete - then its post exam teaching (which is all the H&S type rubbish) then final placement w/c 22 June. Its all a bit manic at the min!

Have done a couple of placements in schools so far. Last placement is a clinical one with SLT team - looking forward to that.

Then its one year down and three to go!

Good luck in your exams too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Booked my accommodation at DMU, it's all too real now.
    Woohoo - there's no way out now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben1981)
    Hi everyone!

Is anyone going to, or hoping to go to, BCU? I've accepted a place there for 2015
    I'm in the middle of doing my NHS Bursary application. Does anyone know how many weeks/year we attend the BCU course?

Give me a yell if you're going to BCU. Looking forward to meeting everyone

Ben
    Hi Ben

I emailed BCU for this and they said 36 weeks, including induction week (w/c 21st Sept).

They also sent the term dates, which are useful to have:

Teaching starts 28th Sept until 18th Dec. Two weeks off, then back on 4th Jan. Easter holidays w/c 21st and w/c 28th March followed by a reading week. Then 11th April to 17th June. The last week is tutorials and the year finishes on 24th June.

They also said that the start date for 2nd and 3rd year is earlier, but so is the finish.

Good luck with the bursary!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah doing exams now - one last week two this week and then final one the week after - then the video viva assessment (yikes) and portfolio to complete - then its post exam teaching (which is all the H&S type rubbish) then final placement w/c 22 June. Its all a bit manic at the min!

Have done a couple of placements in schools so far. Last placement is a clinical one with SLT team - looking forward to that.

Then its one year down and three to go!

Good luck in your exams too
    We've had no January exams so we have 7 D: practical phonetics today! Then only two weeks until first year is over! Don't think we do vivas till second year...

Ahh, guessing that'll be hand washing etc? (no joke, we had three assignments on hygiene)
    Clinical placement is so good, totally know it's for me - although we had a bunch of dropouts after do you know what kind of area its in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We've had no January exams so we have 7 D: practical phonetics today! Then only two weeks until first year is over! Don't think we do vivas till second year...

Ahh, guessing that'll be hand washing etc? (no joke, we had three assignments on hygiene)
    Clinical placement is so good, totally know it's for me - although we had a bunch of dropouts after do you know what kind of area its in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Had no January exams either - my course is slightly different as I have done 3 of the 4 first year SLT modules and one Foundations of Psychology as its the joint course - next year its one SLT and three psychology units. Finish off my SLT units with 2015 intakes. Done phonetics written exam its linguistics tomorrow followed by bio sciences and ending with a psychology exam.

Weird how they all operate differently isn't it? (I know mines a little odd as its a joint honours course but even so).

Yes its hand washing, fire awareness etc. Has to be done before allowed on placement.

Placement is in a special needs school but with NHS SLT team.

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo - there's no way out now lol
    Doesn't quite feel real yet!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh! Reading all these posts about placements has me super excited! Seriously can't wait to start this course!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.