Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ContraryRhyme20)
    I can only speak for Magdalene College but my email confirms that the whole decision process and correspondence from the admissions office, regarding their decision, should be complete before 6pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah great! Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    I was contacted about setting it prior to arriving, but for some it wasn't until they got there. You'll get sent something between now and October, likely in September if I remember right, for setting it up, don't panic.
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Current Cambridge student here, just checking in to say a massive CONGRATULATIONS to you all

I didn't until I'd actually moved in, but that was a couple of years ago. They may have changed that since... but I doubt it...
    What do you get access to through the Raven system?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ContraryRhyme20)
    I can only speak for Magdalene College but my email confirms that the whole decision process and correspondence from the admissions office, regarding their decision, should be complete before 6pm
    That's what Peterhouse Admissions said too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Elcor)
    What do you get access to through the Raven system?
    Pretty much everything you'll need on various websites - uni emails (Hermes), lecture notes if you're lucky (CamTools / Moodle), your results and contact info etc. (CamSIS), it also lets you login to access journals, research papers, etc. from various external websites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    You're paying money to be 'remarked' not buying higher marks.

Edited to add:
    Yup. All they guarantee is that a new marker will look at it. They also charge if the grade doesn't change but the marks go up!!! Boo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzletazzle)
    Yup. All they guarantee is that a new marker will look at it. They also charge if the grade doesn't change but the marks go up!!! Boo
    Markers have to get paid somehow :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    Markers have to get paid somehow :P
    True, but of roughly £40 per paper about £2 goes to marker ... GREEDY exam boards and their profit margins are at fault. EDEXCEL are among the worst. Most expensive exam entries and remarks and highest profits...

ReputationRep:
    True, but of roughly £40 per paper about £2 goes to marker ... GREEDY exam boards and their profit margins are at fault. EDEXCEL are among the worst. Most expensive exam entries and remarks and highest profits...
    I'm not sure you can really blame greed for the size of profit margins 😄

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Can one of you smart lads post a pic of your offer letter so I can just see what it looks like? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    You don't need to do anything - your college will allocate you a room for first year, if you are able to give a preference then they will contact you before you arrive in October with the information for it
    (Original post by Paralove)
    Whether you get any choice on your room depends entirely on the college, but there will be a room for you, it isn't like sorting halls elsewhere. They should be getting in touch with you in the next few days though with information regarding stuff like accommodation afaik.
    Thank you both for you're help. That's such a relief

ReputationRep:
    I'm in!! Medicine at Christ's anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly......but they have to set at a level that won't encourage too many people to request remarks or they'd be inundated with millions and millions of requests, probably more for humanities/arts subjects because the answers can not be as objective as maths/science.
    It has to be the level which makes you think very carefully if it's worth the price or not. A bit like the admission fee for the viewing floor of The Shard (though I think that's a proper rip off. )

But if it's true a re-marker is getting such a small proportion, that's unfair....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EYPHKA)
    Did Warwick accept the C?
    I also have an A from last year so I only needed 2As this year, which I got and the C didn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

Hmmmm... I'd never have thought law would be specified. Especially seeing as it's one they prefer less
    No, my offer was for Law and I got full UMS in that (and in c3 and c4) but I got a C in English literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done everyone! I'm going to be studying MML at Girton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulLawyerHG)
    I also have an A from last year so I only needed 2As this year, which I got and the C didn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you got A*A*A? How come Cambridge didn't accept this? Is it because they wanted the three a-levels in one year?

ReputationRep:
    So you got A*A*A? How come Cambridge didn't accept this? Is it because they wanted the three a-levels in one year?
    They usually do as they want to make sure an applicant can cope with the amount of work they'll need to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    They usually do as they want to make sure an applicant can cope with the amount of work they'll need to do.
    I know that is usually the case, I just wondered if it was the reason in this particular case

ReputationRep:
    Yep- my offer explicitly stated it was for English lit, law and maths so I presume that was the case

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulLawyerHG)
    Yep- my offer explicitly stated it was for English lit, law and maths so I presume that was the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh so I thought - that's pretty tough, but at least Warwick is lovely as well good luck there!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.