Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Damaged by inexcusable behaviour.
    It is disgraceful. As much as I dislike Man Utd, smashing up their bus is completely out of order.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Letter in the telegraph from former NATO chiefs that basically says "these things that we can do without being in the EU that are good things? Yeah, because of those we should stay"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just saw a fox outside, sadly it didn't like the flash so ran away before I could get a picture to post and say "release the hounds"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Just saw a fox outside, sadly it didn't like the flash so ran away before I could get a picture to post and say "release the hounds"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It probably just didn't like you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    It probably just didn't like you.
    Who does...?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Evening,

What are we all drinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Who does...?
    Fair point.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Who does...?
    Me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    Evening,

What are we all drinking?
    Me... Just beer!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yeh, that's one. Don't need to be able to count any higher :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Been so ill since it's gotten hotter, me and the heat really do not mix, even today with the rain was too hot and muggy for me. Hopefully this weather can clear up soon.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just read a coupleof articles that cite studies that have us as the second strongest nation (second only to America and the only global power) and the strongest when it comes to soft power. Apparently also in the Chinese system we are in the top few and we'll ahead of China itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just read a coupleof articles that cite studies that have us as the second strongest nation (second only to America and the only global power) and the strongest when it comes to soft power. Apparently also in the Chinese system we are in the top few and we'll ahead of China itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting. What articles?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I'll link them later, in the bar atm so it's inconvenient

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I could have sworn you were here at Christmas.
    No, it was definitely the end of February.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    And we're global vs France only a few points behind us in third (only regional power) because we have substantially greater force pojection and better logistics. Every important region we could easily fight in due to the strength of the navy and particularly marines, along with all our overseas bases. On paper we should beat anybody but America in a war outside our regional theatre if the other side is also equally far away from the theatre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'You and Me' by Penny and the Quarters is a beautiful song.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H8rumyup0Os
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And we're global vs France only a few points behind us in third (only regional power) because we have substantially greater force pojection and better logistics. Every important region we could easily fight in due to the strength of the navy and particularly marines, along with all our overseas bases. On paper we should beat anybody but America in a war outside our regional theatre if the other side is also equally far away from the theatre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think through time we've always had a strong naval presence. That and the legacy of where our empire was has probably set us up in a comfortable position - but I don't really know an awful lot about this subject ; even with a slight interest in it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cBay)
    Interesting interview with Yanis Varoufakis with regards to the EU: https://www.facebook.com/theguardian...4112914426323/

I have so much time for this guy, always speaks a lot of sense and I nearly always agree with him. Here he pretty much says the reasons why I'm swayed towards voting in, and also speaks about how the clear move away from the center-right consensus (both leftwards and rightwards) across Europe and indeed the western world in general (ahem, Sanders and Trump) will likely lead to the EU disintegrating anyway, which is why I have been saying that the referendum is almost pointless.
    Personally i don't buy this collapse and believe that those who think it will happen don't understand the mentality of most European nations. The fate of the Euro-zone is further integration while probably losing a handful of members in a probably messy way. The end result though will be a federal core which then expands across the med and probably into North Africa.

(Original post by Whiggy)
    Your analogy isn't relevant to this debate: if a building collapsed it could cause imminent death for those inside it. Should the EU disintegrate, it's highly improbable that we will all die directly from its collapse.
    Strictly speaking collapse of the Euro-zone would be a horrid thing for the UK. Germany for example would see a rapidly appreciating currency and probable recession and they are our largest trading partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Strictly speaking collapse of the Euro-zone would be a horrid thing for the UK. Germany for example would see a rapidly appreciating currency and probable recession and they are our largest trading partner.
    Of course there'd be some issues should the Euro-zone collapse, although the probability of us being wiped out due to the collapse is close to zero. Prices would rise, but I believe we'd pull through.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.