ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    Click on the -_- here.
    k c00l
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    he's a stubborn soul. He'll take a lot of forcing.
    That's what she said! :rofl: :lol:

*cough*

(Original post by Jina)
    Erm I translated it as:

Amar habi gooshti nizore mariliba thumar shamne. (My family will kill themselves in front of you)...
    Perfect. Now we just need to convince him to say it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Here you go peeps: TSR Accent Challenge - Princepieman

ReputationRep:
    That's what she said! :rofl: :lol:

*cough*

LOOOOOOOL... I'll pretend I'm oblivious to that.......

Perfect. Now we just need to convince him to say it.
    Haha... I put bude up to the task....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Did you have an American background?

ReputationRep:
    LOoOoOoOl! If you said those words in a sentence while speaking to me i'd just be *lost*.... Aluminum, that's so American! Are you American?!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes and throw in some time spent in Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia. I ALWAYS get the american thing though, I only lived there for 4 years.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes and throw in some time spent in Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia. I ALWAYS get the american thing though, I only lived there for 4 years.
    Makes sense. People generally retain the first accent of their childhood and never lose it, no matter how long they stay somewhere else.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    LOoOoOoOl! If you said those words in a sentence while speaking to me i'd just be *lost*.... Aluminum, that's so American! Are you American?!
    Mind you, scottish ones are worse! Try going up to inverness and asking for directions it's a NIGHTMARE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Most OP film ever

Where?
    Meh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Makes sense. People generally retain the first accent of their childhood and never lose it, no matter how long they stay somewhere else.
    True.. I guess going to american international schools didn't help my case either.

ReputationRep:
    Oh great, I'm an anomaly. As if my accent is Australian!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Oh great, I'm an anomaly. As if my accent is Australian!
    Yes you are.

ReputationRep:
    Mind you, scottish ones are worse! Try going up to inverness and asking for directions it's a NIGHTMARE!
    Hahaha I'll put it on my bucket list! I love american/scottish/irish accents.

How was it living in KSA btw?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    Hahaha I'll put it on my bucket list! I love american/scottish/irish accents.

How was it living in KSA btw?
    Quite fun actually, you'd be surprised when I say: I lived next to a pond full of fish that I would feed and a massive GREEN field to play on.

We were somewhat secluded from the normal Saudi, in that we lived in a compound the size of a small city with generally similar type of people e.g. expats working for large companies. Though, I did get to to travel down to Riyadh (the Capital) a few times - travelling through hours and hours of desert wasn't exactly fulfilling.

Weather was bearable for 3 - 5 months out of the year otherwise you risk catching a heat stroke (June would be up to 40 degrees!)

T'was a good experience and I could go on and on about it but I don't want to bore you all to sleep.

Here's a pic of the pond: Name:  2311450-Dhahran_Hills_Duckpond_Dhahran.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  102.8 KB and a typical house: Name:  LRHouse+922.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  196.5 KB

Forgot to say, I lived in Dhahran, which is in the north-east or more specifically the Al-Khobar Region

ReputationRep:
    Quite fun actually, you'd be surprised when I say: I lived next to a pond full of fish that I would feed and a massive GREEN field to play on.

We were somewhat secluded from the normal Saudi, in that we lived in a compound the size of a small city with generally similar type of people e.g. expats working for large companies. Though, I did get to to travel down to Riyadh (the Capital) a few times - travelling through hours and hours of desert wasn't exactly fulfilling.

Weather was bearable for 3 - 5 months out of the year otherwise you risk catching a heat stroke (June would be up to 40 degrees!)

T'was a good experience and I could go on and on about it but I don't want to bore you all to sleep.

Here's a pic of the pond: Name:  2311450-Dhahran_Hills_Duckpond_Dhahran.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  102.8 KB and a typical house: Name:  LRHouse+922.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  196.5 KB

Forgot to say, I lived in Dhahran, which is in the north-east or more specifically the Al-Khobar Region
    Ahhh sounds like a dream! Well looks like one too by the sounds of it! My sister was there a few weeks ago and she said the same thing, heat was unbearable. Roads aren't safe either for much of it, my uncle who moved there to teach died in a car crash. :/
    Your parents must have the coolest job ever!

And i'm never bored by talking, i just talk on and on and on... All day long. Lol

Was it hard living as a non-Muslim in an Islamic state?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    Ahhh sounds like a dream! Well looks like one too by the sounds of it! My sister was there a few weeks ago and she said the same thing, heat was unbearable. Roads aren't safe either for much of it, my uncle who moved there to teach died in a car crash. :/
    Your parents must have the coolest job ever!

And i'm never bored by talking, i just talk on and on and on... All day long. Lol

Was it hard living as a non-Muslim in an Islamic state?
    I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle When did it happen?

Well, I'm Christian so that also ramified the situation, but it was alright for the most part. In Dhahran, because people are from a whole mish-mash of backgrounds no one really cares, so long as you don't go too overboard with the clothing like wear a string bikini for example. You're also not allowed to carry religious jewellery so it is generally kept at home when travelling outside of Dhahran.

Outside, especially in large shopping malls, it is generally recommended that women wear the abaya - which I think is completely sexist but better to be safe than sorry. The shari-a police are quite active and can enforce a visit to the jail if you don't comply.

These kinds of things are generally out of my control so what I can do is hope and pray things get a little more lenient in the future. This said, Saudi is a very safe country and if you respect the beliefs and customs things will definitely be good for you.

I just heard, the queen (i think?) of saudi has now been allowed to drive so there is hope!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle When did it happen?

Well, I'm Christian so that also ramified the situation, but it was alright for the most part. In Dhahran, because people are from a whole mish-mash of backgrounds no one really cares, so long as you don't go too overboard with the clothing like wear a string bikini for example. You're also not allowed to carry religious jewellery so it is generally kept at home when travelling outside of Dhahran.

Outside, especially in large shopping malls, it is generally recommended that women wear the abaya - which I think is completely sexist but better to be safe than sorry. The shari-a police are quite active and can enforce a visit to the jail if you don't comply.

These kinds of things are generally out of my control so what I can do is hope and pray things get a little more lenient in the future. This said, Saudi is a very safe country and if you respect the beliefs and customs things will definitely be good for you.

I just heard, the queen (i think?) of saudi has now been allowed to drive so there is hope!
    :/ Around two years ago... But I'm muslim and I believe every soul has its given time, so it was his time to leave us.

Ahh I'm surprised you didn't have too much of a hard time there. Yeah, KSA can be very contradictory on some things. Lol I saw the shari'a police on a youtube video, they went round during prayer times in a shopping mall and made everyone go pray. Did you have churches where you lived?

Ahh... I'm glad you had a relatively easy time living there. I hope to go someday, obviously with a male relative haha.

Really? That's great.... I hope things do change for the better. Its a great country with amazing history. Did you manage to see any of the Princes/Kings palaces... I heard they're massive...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    :/ Around two years ago... But I'm muslim and I believe every soul has its given time, so it was his time to leave us.

Ahh I'm surprised you didn't have too much of a hard time there. Yeah, KSA can be very contradictory on some things. Lol I saw the shari'a police on a youtube video, they went round during prayer times in a shopping mall and made everyone go pray. Did you have churches where you lived?

Ahh... I'm glad you had a relatively easy time living there. I hope to go someday, obviously with a male relative haha.

Really? That's great.... I hope things do change for the better. Its a great country with amazing history. Did you manage to see any of the Princes/Kings palaces... I heard they're massive...
    Aw, may his soul rest in peace ...

Yeah, for the near future a male companion would be pretty beneficial. Saudis are generally nice people though and you should definitely go. Do you intend on going to a Haaj one day?

Ohh, I've driven past a few but never actually visited any... Man, that oil wealth makes me jelly They're HUGE, made with decorated with actual gold, hordes of sports cars surrounding them... I wish someone put Sheikh next to my name so I could join in... haha

ReputationRep:
    Aw, may his soul rest in peace ...

Yeah, for the near future a male companion would be pretty beneficial. Saudis are generally nice people though and you should definitely go. Do you intend on going to a Haaj one day?

Ohh, I've driven past a few but never actually visited any... Man, that oil wealth makes me jelly They're HUGE, made with decorated with actual gold, hordes of sports cars surrounding them... I wish someone put Sheikh next to my name so I could join in... haha
    Amen!

Haha a male relative will always be the ruling, it's the shari'a.
    Saudi's tend to treat my ethnic group a little badly, Bangladeshi's are like their workers and I've heard horrid stories of arab treatment of other ethnic groups. I intend to go on the smaller Hajj, the main one is a massive commitment but all in good time. I'd also love to visit all the historical sites and desert areas... Non-muslims arent allowed in Makkah and medina though are they, those places are beautiful (from pictures )

The oil wealth makes me water haha. Ahh i saw a TV show on "billionaire boy racers" (spoilt arab guys basically buying al these amazing cars)... I'm a girl and I drooled! Haha they certainly struck gold with all the oil. Haha Sheik is just the title, my name could have been Sheik jina and I'd still be ... Poor me. My actual dream (shh) is to go to the Arab countries and just snag an oil rich guy... -_- Don't judge! Lol

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.