The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had my interview for Greenwich Science with Biology, and got an offer today! Can't believe it - just a week ago I was lamenting how long my second referee was taking. I have an interview with IoE in January but I can't decide whether to go or not, I really like Greenwich and the programme.... First world problems I know!

I was told they have only had 8 science applicants so far, so if anyone is doing science and thinking about where to apply I would probably apply there.....
Original post by Ilovescience01
Had my interview for Greenwich Science with Biology, and got an offer today! Can't believe it - just a week ago I was lamenting how long my second referee was taking. I have an interview with IoE in January but I can't decide whether to go or not, I really like Greenwich and the programme.... First world problems I know!

I was told they have only had 8 science applicants so far, so if anyone is doing science and thinking about where to apply I would probably apply there.....

Congratulations! Did you have to do a presentation? I have an interview there for Secondary Maths next week and dreading that part! How long did the day last?
Anyone else applying for School Direct anywhere in Somerset? :smile:
Original post by thomasawdry
Congratulations! Did you have to do a presentation? I have an interview there for Secondary Maths next week and dreading that part! How long did the day last?

They day started at 11am and I left at 3:30pm, but I was the only science person being interviewed so could take a bit longer. Didn't need to to a presentation, just a group task which was basically a discussion on an educational topic, which they use to see your interpersonal skills. There were two maths people at my interview and I know it was the first round of interviews. I had to do a skills audit, maths people had to do something else - not sure if I am meant to say any more. There was also a written task to check your written communication skills which contained a few normal interview questions. Overall it was really casual and friendly, my tutor chatted to me for ages after she told me she had enough information.

I really liked Greenwich, and the Science tutor told me they are bringing in a option to go to a Pupil Referral Unit or SEN school for 2 out of 5 days a week, in your B placement, which I am really interested in.
Reply 3444
Where can we find educational issues/changes informations? Any recommended websites?
Original post by sandyN91
Where can we find educational issues/changes informations? Any recommended websites?

I was just about to post about this. I'm finding it the hardest bit to prepare for! It's all well preparing my presentation and reading about my subject and thinking of questions I might be asked, but it's hard to read up on educational issues when there are so many. Plus my interview is next Tuesday and I've only just started preparing. I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and read the TES because I think that's the best place, but I've just been reading news articles online about random things :dontknow: A website I was reading summed the issues up as :
National curriculum
GCSE/A-Level reform - examinations and assessment
Free school and academies
SEN

Although that is for secondary.
Original post by Melmac
Is it Tuesday the 17th? I still havent hear from them, think thats a bad sign :frown:

It is. I'm sure it's not a bad sign- no news is also good news! They'll definitely have other interview dates after Christmas lined up.

I've heard nothing from Glasgow, on the other side of the coin.
Original post by tory88
Pretty much. I can't say anything else without giving too much away, but it's nothing taxing at all.

Thanks for your help, have been ill the last few days but just finishing my presentation today so thankfully feeling more confident. :smile:
Original post by Ilovescience01

Congrats on your offer! I applied to do biology also and I'm so annoyed that I didn't apply to Greenwich now :redface: I have an interview also at IoE on Wednesday though so fingers crossed!
The current issues I've been looking at
- curriculum for excellence/ active learning (Scotland, but maybe could be an interesting point in England/ Wales?)
- SEN
- EAL
- class sizes debate
Another good educational issue is the achievement difference between genders. Boys notoriously don't do as well as girls in Literacy and various statistics have shown this, I seem to remember the National Literacy Trust bringing out something about this not long ago. Anyway, you could talk about that and say how you would make sure your teaching methods addressed these issues etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bumpadaisy
I hope you get it soon. I had the same problem and one of my choices closed. Explain that courses are closing and you are getting anxious

Thank you so much.

The waiting is the most tedious part. As each day passes, I feel less motivated and kinda get cold feet...

cos nobody cares anymore :mad:
Reply 3452
Original post by JungleeBilli
Thank you so much.

The waiting is the most tedious part. As each day passes, I feel less motivated and kinda get cold feet...

cos nobody cares anymore :mad:

Tell me about it, hate the waiting!
Ah I've done something stupid. At my interview last Tuesday, they said we would hear the outcome within a week. So today I decided to email them and ask if they'd made a decision yet. They're going to think I'm sooooo impatient!!!! But I just can't handle another weekend of waiting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeffercake
Ah I've done something stupid. At my interview last Tuesday, they said we would hear the outcome within a week. So today I decided to email them and ask if they'd made a decision yet. They're going to think I'm sooooo impatient!!!! But I just can't handle another weekend of waiting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i emailed Brighton a day or so ago as we were told we'd hear really quickly, to ask when we would hear, and they haven't replied! The waiting is doing my noggin in too!!!!
Reply 3455
Original post by steph_cook92
Yeh it came through the post last week, maybe give them a call today? Just say you were making sure they received your application. It's weird you haven't got a letter? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Roisinkelly94
I'm from Ireland and only received my welcome letter yesterday, even though I applied last Tuesday! So you might get it soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soooo...i emailed Greenwich a while ago and they said they sent the letter out on the 3rd of December...the letter must be lost or taking aaages to get here :tongue: is there anything on it of particular note or interest?
Offer from the Solent SCITT! Waiting for the letter to say what the conditions are, but yay!!! Interview at Chichester was...interesting..?
Reply 3457
Hi sbxox, I have my interview on Monday too at Trent! Are you in the morning or afternoon slot?
Reply 3458
Just got feedback there from UCAS (nerve racking stuff when that email appears with a notification alert!)

University of Glasgow have given me an interview for the 10th January 2014 - so happy! :biggrin:
Original post by Bethharris1993
Hi, sorry to butt in!

Where did you hear they only have 15 places this year? That seems an incredibly small number! Got an interview there next week.

beth

Hey, quite a few pages back, there's a link which shows how many places each institution has :smile:

best of luck for your interview

Latest

Trending

Trending