Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango93)
    I'm so confused: with regards to current educational issues/debates, how does this come up in the interview? Do they just say 'Can you tell us about any recent educational debates that caught your eye?' or something or will they just mention a specific thing and ask you to comment???
    They asked me, "Is there anything about the current education system that you would change?", which I thought implied that I should probably bring up a current educational debate. I personally spoke about testing, there's quite a few you can choose from

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_x)
    Is PISA pronounced as PISA or as the individual letters?
    As in PISA, when I've heard my lecturers talk about it they all pronounce it like that, so I assume that's correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    Yeh it came through the post last week, maybe give them a call today? Just say you were making sure they received your application. It's weird you haven't got a letter? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm...im from Ireland, so maybe that's why?? Hopefully we'll hear their decision soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_disney)
    Soryr to hear about sussex,they only have 15 places this year so I don't feel very confident about them, I haven't heard anything yet, but my lecturer only finished my ref this morning so I paid and sent then, so will hopefully hear something next week! That's exciting about chi though! Let me know if you have anymore updates
    Hi, sorry to butt in!

Where did you hear they only have 15 places this year? That seems an incredibly small number! Got an interview there next week.

beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.of)
    Hmmm...im from Ireland, so maybe that's why?? Hopefully we'll hear their decision soon!
    I'm from Ireland and only received my welcome letter yesterday, even though I applied last Tuesday! So you might get it soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I finally sent my application of yesterday!! Turns out my secondary referee has been ill. So I sent it to another teacher I had worked with she did it on the day! She sent me what she wrote and although good, it's very short....only 16 lines .

Now the wait!!! I hope I manage to get interviews and the delay sending it off hasn't hindered my chances.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mango93)
    I'm so confused: with regards to current educational issues/debates, how does this come up in the interview? Do they just say 'Can you tell us about any recent educational debates that caught your eye?' or something or will they just mention a specific thing and ask you to comment???
    I've had both. One of my interviews said "what do you think is the biggest issue specifically facing a school in an impoverished area?", whereas another just said "can you talk about an educational issue that interests you?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethharris1993)
    Hi, sorry to butt in!

Where did you hear they only have 15 places this year? That seems an incredibly small number! Got an interview there next week.

beth
    How many places did you think there would be? 20 seems to be around the average offered so 15 isn't massively unusual. I know it's really small though . Especially with so many applicants!

In terms of how she found it, someone posted a PDF a while back with allocations for unis. I've googled it but I can't find it for you, sorry. It is on this thread somewhere though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    They asked me, "Is there anything about the current education system that you would change?", which I thought implied that I should probably bring up a current educational debate. I personally spoke about testing, there's quite a few you can choose from

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by tory88)
    I've had both. One of my interviews said "what do you think is the biggest issue specifically facing a school in an impoverished area?", whereas another just said "can you talk about an educational issue that interests you?".
    I'm guessing some of these questions don't have a right or wrong answer, and as long as you've done some reading you could then use your opinions based on what you've read?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm guessing some of these questions don't have a right or wrong answer, and as long as you've done some reading you could then use your opinions based on what you've read?
    I believe so. My general impression is that they want to see that you know what you're talking about, and don't care a whole lot about what you think about it. I think, really, that it's just there to make sure you aren't going into teaching with your eyes closed as to the wider issues and interferences.

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview for Greenwich Science with Biology, and got an offer today! Can't believe it - just a week ago I was lamenting how long my second referee was taking. I have an interview with IoE in January but I can't decide whether to go or not, I really like Greenwich and the programme.... First world problems I know!

I was told they have only had 8 science applicants so far, so if anyone is doing science and thinking about where to apply I would probably apply there.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovescience01)
    Had my interview for Greenwich Science with Biology, and got an offer today! Can't believe it - just a week ago I was lamenting how long my second referee was taking. I have an interview with IoE in January but I can't decide whether to go or not, I really like Greenwich and the programme.... First world problems I know!

I was told they have only had 8 science applicants so far, so if anyone is doing science and thinking about where to apply I would probably apply there.....
    Congratulations! Did you have to do a presentation? I have an interview there for Secondary Maths next week and dreading that part! How long did the day last?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else applying for School Direct anywhere in Somerset?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasawdry)
    Congratulations! Did you have to do a presentation? I have an interview there for Secondary Maths next week and dreading that part! How long did the day last?

They day started at 11am and I left at 3:30pm, but I was the only science person being interviewed so could take a bit longer. Didn't need to to a presentation, just a group task which was basically a discussion on an educational topic, which they use to see your interpersonal skills. There were two maths people at my interview and I know it was the first round of interviews. I had to do a skills audit, maths people had to do something else - not sure if I am meant to say any more. There was also a written task to check your written communication skills which contained a few normal interview questions. Overall it was really casual and friendly, my tutor chatted to me for ages after she told me she had enough information.

I really liked Greenwich, and the Science tutor told me they are bringing in a option to go to a Pupil Referral Unit or SEN school for 2 out of 5 days a week, in your B placement, which I am really interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Where can we find educational issues/changes informations? Any recommended websites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandyN91)
    Where can we find educational issues/changes informations? Any recommended websites?
    I was just about to post about this. I'm finding it the hardest bit to prepare for! It's all well preparing my presentation and reading about my subject and thinking of questions I might be asked, but it's hard to read up on educational issues when there are so many. Plus my interview is next Tuesday and I've only just started preparing. I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and read the TES because I think that's the best place, but I've just been reading news articles online about random things :dontknow: A website I was reading summed the issues up as :
    National curriculum
    GCSE/A-Level reform - examinations and assessment
    Free school and academies
    SEN

Although that is for secondary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melmac)
    Is it Tuesday the 17th? I still havent hear from them, think thats a bad sign
    It is. I'm sure it's not a bad sign- no news is also good news! They'll definitely have other interview dates after Christmas lined up.

I've heard nothing from Glasgow, on the other side of the coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Pretty much. I can't say anything else without giving too much away, but it's nothing taxing at all.
    Thanks for your help, have been ill the last few days but just finishing my presentation today so thankfully feeling more confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovescience01)

Congrats on your offer! I applied to do biology also and I'm so annoyed that I didn't apply to Greenwich now I have an interview also at IoE on Wednesday though so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    The current issues I've been looking at
    - curriculum for excellence/ active learning (Scotland, but maybe could be an interesting point in England/ Wales?)
    - SEN
    - EAL
    - class sizes debate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.