Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Soderling plans to come back next year - bet Rafa's ****ting himself for RG 2016!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyJ)
    Soderling plans to come back next year - bet Rafa's ****ting himself for RG 2016!
    Would be great but he's getting on a bit. It'll take 2 seasons probably to be back at the top and then age will start dragging him.

That said, the big 4 are not as strong as 2011.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Would be great but he's getting on a bit. It'll take 2 seasons probably to be back at the top and then age will start dragging him.

That said, the big 4 are not as strong as 2011.
    True, though the circumstances of his illness is probably giving him the motivation to get back up there. He's not that old to be fair, '84, I believe? Plenty of players around that age still doing really well - he's not that much older than Rafa/Djokovic/Stan. It seems to be quite common right now for players to peak later in their careers - Lopez, for example.

I'd like to see him back, I quite liked him too.

ReputationRep:
    Great win for Safarova and now we'll definitely have an interesting final on our hands with Ana Ivanovic the only person to have been in a slam final before in the bottom half of the draw. Williams has looked vulnerable too so if she's knocked out the title will be anyone's for the taking!

ReputationRep:
    Good win for Safarova, finishing off the match with 2 fantastic forehands

Federer sweeps past Monfils to face Wawrinka in the Quarters tomorrow - he looked very solid today, and Gael faded in the 4th set

Murray and Chardy currently engaged in a 3rd set battle - tough match, but Murray should come through.

ReputationRep:
    A bit poor is the Murray vs Chardy match.

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable that on the second Monday of a Grand Slam my two babes, Ana & Gasquet are still both in it, although for the latter I'm expecting it's a matter of hours..

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic Gasquet

NOVAK-RAFA time though!!

ReputationRep:
    Novak-Rafa and Murray-Ferrer could both go 5 sets.

My Quarter Final Picks: Federer in 4, Tsonga in 5, Djokovic in 4, Murray in 5

ReputationRep:
    So thrilled that Rafa and Novak made it to the quarters, finished my kast exam today so I can give their match my full and undivided attention! My heart says Djokovic but my head says Rafa, we'll see what happens on Wednesday. Murray's playing ok but against Ferrer, who's beaten him at this stage before he may come unstuck so if Murray wins it's likely to be anything but 3 sets. Federer was very solid today and didn't allow Monfils anything but then again Monfils didn't exactly help his cause, I'll give Federer the edge over Wawrinka but that depends strongly on which Stan turns up for the match. I'm hoping Tsonga pulls through more because I've always had a soft spot for him and it'd be nice if the French have a home favourite to cheer on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Novak-Rafa and Murray-Ferrer could both go 5 sets.

My Quarter Final Picks: Federer in 4, Tsonga in 5, Djokovic in 4, Murray in 5
    Would agree with that although i think that Nikishori vs Tsonga will go to 5. Should be a good spectacle given Tsonga's power vs Nikishori's line shots and agility.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to all these QFs, should be good with the Rafa vs Nole match taking top billing. From here on in we should see some top quality tennis on show, bring it on!

ReputationRep:
    I envisage Djokovic delivering the crème de la crème of chokes against Rafa this time. Yes, even greater than his choke 2 years ago, which was already astounding. I hope he proves me wrong, Rafa just might not be playing well enough this year to take advantage of Novak's inevitable mental struggles.

ReputationRep:
    After that test from Sock Rafa's hot now. Is he hot enough to take out Djokovic? I think he's up for this fight, and you can't imagine Djokovic is not going to have some nerves, even with his peerless performances in the first 4 rounds. I feel like this time the first set is going to be crucial for Rafa - if he loses it I'd say Djokovic in 4, if the other way round, Nadal in 4. Either way, massively excited! I'm going to try and get out of work early just to catch this one.

ReputationRep:
    Sharapova out, Wozniacki out, Halep out.. Serena will win another tournament playing average tennis. Boring!

Men's side look far more interesting. For the QFs, I predict Novak to beat Rafa in 5 marathon sets. Murray in 4 tight sets. Clownga to win in 4 and Federer in straight sets.

ReputationRep:
    If Rafa loses here, he might not win another slam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    I envisage Djokovic delivering the crème de la crème of chokes against Rafa this time. Yes, even greater than his choke 2 years ago, which was already astounding. I hope he proves me wrong, Rafa just might not be playing well enough this year to take advantage of Novak's inevitable mental struggles.
    I hope to God that Djokovic doesn't choke, it's acceptable to lose if Rafa is the better guy on the day but if Djokovic helps Rafa along the way that'd be hard to take. Hopefully the fact that this is just a QF and not a final will help Djokovic to focus more from a mental perspective. He came closest to beating Rafa in a semi, not the final so if he's fired up and really goes after Rafa it could be his time.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's got some free time, I recommend watching the Federer-Wawrinka match. Insanely high-quality start with Stan hitting the **** out of the ball.

ReputationRep:
    How has Federer lost so much power on his FH? He can't seem to hit through any opponent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    How has Federer lost so much power on his FH? He can't seem to hit through any opponent.
    Wawrinka's just outhitting him - absolute beast mode.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.