Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How often are people refreshing their emails?
    I'm currently at a rate of one refresh/3 mins.
    It's exhausting SOMEONE TELL
    ME SOMETHING ALREADY

ReputationRep:
    Got my rejection from Cambridge GEM - the email said no one without an A* at A Level was invited to interview unless they got a first in their degree, and I got AAA and a 2:1. Oh well! Congrats to all those who got an interview!

But I got an interview for Leicester 5 year course for 7th Jan so I'm very happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got interview from Cambridge graduate course in medicine. I know the competition is high and that it is far away from being a done deal but I am still happy that they have taken me into consideration. I wish they could have given us more time to prepare. Less than two weeks is not much, at least not enough for the level of difficulty I expect and for which i think i should be better prepared. Advise and suggestions are more than welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanaUS)
    Got interview from Cambridge graduate course in medicine. I know the competition is high and that it is far away from being a done deal but I am still happy that they have taken me into consideration. I wish they could have given us more time to prepare. Less than two weeks is not much, at least not enough for the level of difficulty I expect and for which i think i should be better prepared. Advise and suggestions are more than welcomed.
    I think they probably give that little notice deliberately to keep people on their toes, classic tricky cambridge. And they did say what dates the interviews would be. But I'm sure you'll do great and congratulations for getting an interview!

ReputationRep:
    I got a rejection too, but did have A*AA at A-level and a 1st in my degree (although I did just scrape it so maybe that's why)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from sgul or Notts yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottemc1234)
    Anyone heard from sgul or Notts yet?
    I saw somewhere Notts are publishing their cut off tomorrow.

A friend phoned George's and they said they're still calculating scores and the confirmation email they sent us said early december and knowing george's that means mid december...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by macarenafc92)
    oxford says it on the webpage.... but cambridge takes graduates from all fields (they believe nursing is not a proper degree). Are you also a nurse??

Well I offered two years hand in experience, a publishes article, loads of post grad trainning, volunteering since the age of 14.....I think they just tagged me because of my nursing degree,

Tbh I found this year exam more difficult than previous papers but I don't know how I did.
    Oxford are all about research experience. They believe that doctors learn far too much from observation and word of mouth and far too little from peer-reviewed primary research papers, and that the way to tackle that is to get people who are familiar with reading papers day in day out and have produced it themselves. A nursing degree alone probably would not cut it no (even with a publication or two).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Googy)
    I saw somewhere Notts are publishing their cut off tomorrow.

A friend phoned George's and they said they're still calculating scores and the confirmation email they sent us said early december and knowing george's that means mid december...
    Just called Nottingham and they're aid Monday for the cutoffs. I got very confused on their website As thought they had already published. Do we expect them to be higher or lower or similar to last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got my first rejection today from Cambridge feel like I've been winded!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuceeeeeT)
    Just called Nottingham and they're aid Monday for the cutoffs. I got very confused on their website As thought they had already published. Do we expect them to be higher or lower or similar to last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No idea to be honest but very roughly I'm thinking the same as my GAMSAT score from last year puts me on the same percentile point this year so doesn't look like the grading curve has changed significantly (and it had last year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Oxford are all about research experience. They believe that doctors learn far too much from observation and word of mouth and far too little from peer-reviewed primary research papers, and that the way to tackle that is to get people who are familiar with reading papers day in day out and have produced it themselves. A nursing degree alone probably would not cut it no (even with a publication or two).
    well it depends on the type of nurse you are (as well as the type of biochemists or other profession)

i spoke with them (oxford) and the reason they gave me is that nursing is not science based. Probably in this country but were I trainned it was more science than social.

ReputationRep:
    well it depends on the type of nurse you are (as well as the type of biochemists or other profession)

i spoke with them (oxford) and the reason they gave me is that nursing is not science based. Probably in this country but were I trainned it was more science than social.
    I couldn't agree more. The undergraduate nursing degree even in oxford is a 3 year degree covering not science modules like:
    • Introduction to Person-Centred Care (double)
    • Development of the Human Body and Mind
    • Partnerships I: Introduction to Using Evidence in Professional Practice
    • Developing Person-Centred Care (double)
    • Life Science for Health Care Professionals
    • Applied Life Science for Adult Nurse
    • Experiences of Health and Illness: Adult Nursing Practice I
      • Experiences of Health and Illness: Adult Nursing Practice II
      • Complex and Challenging Issues in Adult Nursing Practice
      • Partnerships II: Developing Effective Working Practices
      • Medicine Management for Adult Nursing
      • Integrated Professional Practice
      • Partnerships III: Managing Collaboration
      • Making Decisions and Using Evidence
      • Nursing Management: Adult Nursing Consolidation (double)
      • Research Awareness and Critical Appraisal
      • Optional Module (from a range of choices)
      • Dissertation (double).

On the other hand my nursing degree was a 4 years undergraduate degree that covered all very much science based modules like:

Microbiology and Parasitology
    Anatomy, Physiology and Physiological Chemistry
    Psychology I
    Anatomy, Physiology and Physiological Chemistry II
    Body Mechanics and prevention of muscle-skeletal l
    Pathology
    Pharmacology
    Research in Nursing
    Antropology and Sociology II
    Psychology II
    Approaches to emergencies: first aid and basic life support

Plus all the "nursing type" modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bianacarol)
    I couldn't agree more. The undergraduate nursing degree even in oxford is a 3 year degree covering not science modules like:
    On the other hand my nursing degree was a 4 years undergraduate degree that covered all very much science based modules like:

Microbiology and Parasitology
    Anatomy, Physiology and Physiological Chemistry
    Psychology I
    Anatomy, Physiology and Physiological Chemistry II
    Body Mechanics and prevention of muscle-skeletal l
    Pathology
    Pharmacology
    Research in Nursing
    Antropology and Sociology II
    Psychology II
    Approaches to emergencies: first aid and basic life support

Plus all the "nursing type" modules.
    amen!
    include dissection, micro lab and diagnostics!
    Parhology in my uni was 3 years long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikingkermit)
    If you're an ACP why not continue with that?
    Now that the Royal collage of emergency medicine have got to gether with the RCN and made a proper portfolio to complete that is transferable from hospital to hospital why not continues with that?

I only ask as if I don't get in this cycles rom the next cycle that's the path I'm thinking of going down.
    To be honest with you, in my opinion we should follow a career that we feel complete and most of all that we enjoy fully.

I can be good in what I do and I know I am otherwise I wouldn't have the good feedback I have from peers, patients and superiors. Nevertheless, I believe we can excel in something if we truly enjoy it.

I don't want to be good, I want to excel. Plus, what I like the most in nursing is the medical point of it, finding out the etiology of diseases, being able to understand it, to explain to patients, to rationalise and solve a problem. Is problem solving, pathology...

In summary, I could still be a good ACP but I want to be an excellent doctor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Yes - in that it is unlikely to include lots of primary research. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no matter how scientific the nursing degree is, it's still going to be very broad. You probably didn't delve into the animal experiments and randomised control trials much (by necessity - you had other things to focus on).

The difference between grad entry and undergrad at Oxford is that they compress the first two (well 1.7) undergrad years into 1, and they fully skip the 3rd year. Trust me when I say that that third year is primary literature, primary literature, primary literature. It's all they talk about! So if you're skipping it, they need to know you've done it elsewhere.

I'm mentioning this ad it might be relevant to anyone who does have an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    only 350? when I applied last year it was more like 2000? from what you are saying, you have 1 in 5 chance to be selected for an interview - which is unbelievable for cambridge!
    I think it was about 400 last year, so not that many more really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    only 350? when I applied last year it was more like 2000? from what you are saying, you have 1 in 5 chance to be selected for an interview - which is unbelievable for cambridge!
    477 applied last year.

ReputationRep:
    BTW has anyone received any letters from UCAS? I was expecting them to send an acknowledgement letter for having sent off my application etc...hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzleLight)
    BTW has anyone received any letters from UCAS? I was expecting them to send an acknowledgement letter for having sent off my application etc...hmmmm
    I was wondering about that earlier today as I haven't received anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.