This discussion is closed.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Yes. He's the best statesman on the programme tonight by some margin. It would be a crying shame if he loses his seat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here here. He's probably the most likeable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Well like I said having been to sandwich and broadstairs there is a lot of anti-UKIP there.

FPTP...
Shy tory/Shy UKIP voters will swing it I think.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Come May 8th, he'll be crying.
Most likely. Ah well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
In an ideal world, we would revert to the old course and have a minimal government that had little purpose other than in balancing the books and upholding the rule of law. In the ideal world, it would be the duty of the rich to look after the poor. One nation conservatism will always be the way forward in my mind, and this can be achieved by providing financial incentives for the rich, i.e tax breaks, for providing properly for employees. This leads to increased profits, increased profits - business growth. Business growth - more jobs. More jobs - less people on benefits - less expenditure on benefits, which can result in government retrenchment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In an ideal world we would have a bigger state and indeed a global one.
and the rich shouldn't do the right thing because they are paid to, capitalism will fail and profits especially on vital services are immoral.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cleggers is doing quite well. He's responded decently to the questions on his decision to go into coalition and that unemployment question was just plain nasty. Genuinely hope he keeps his seat in Sheffield.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoeL1994)
Shy tory/Shy UKIP voters will swing it I think.
Seeing how the average UKIP voter is I can't see there being a shy-UKIP.
anyway it seems like labour voters might vote Tory to block farrage,
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I may be a Tory, but Cleggers actually talks a lot of sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I think your sweeping generalisation of over a quarter of the electorate that voted in the Euro election are as biased and closed to change as your extreme left wing views.
jmdubz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I disagree. I think ukipperS will vote Tory to block labour, seeing as ukipperS don't pose a real threat
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Cleggers is doing quite well. He's responded decently to the questions on his decision to go into coalition and that unemployment question was just plain nasty. Genuinely hope he keeps his seat in Sheffield.
Here here. It would be a terrible pity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I may be a Tory, but Cleggers actually talks a lot of sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's because the rational side of the right is liberalism.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think your sweeping generalisation of over a quarter of the electorate that voted in the Euro election are as biased and closed to change as your extreme left wing views.
And how much of that was media fuelled? How much of that was protest? Most of the people voting UKIP I know (from school) say that they are "doing it for the lol'z" I think my writing of UKIP is the same as writing off the greens, but UKIP can't last without farrage.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
And how much of that was media fuelled? How much of that was protest? Most of the people voting UKIP I know (from school) say that they are "doing it for the lol'z" I think my writing of UKIP is the same as writing off the greens, but UKIP can't last without farrage.
Does that matter? As you so rightly stated this is FPTP and the votes (no matter how they are gained) will swing it in a constituency.

Suzanne Evans. That is all.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Drink? Hug? Anyone?
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Comparing the UK to Greece may have been hyperbole but apart from that, a very good performance by Clegg. He won the audience's respect which is something that both Cameron and Miliband didn't particularly achieve.

Clegg: A
Cameron: B
Miliband: B-

All three parties will probably be happy with how their respective leaders faired.

Credit to Question Time for mostly getting the mix right with the audience as well. The right amount of toughness and assertiveness achieved. QT would be more watch-able if this could be maintained every time.

Here here. It would be a terrible pity.
I believe the Ashcroft Poll for Sheffield had a quarter of Tory voters tactically voting for Clegg there. It should enough to keep him in.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Comparing the UK to Greece may have been hyperbole but apart from that, a very good performance by Clegg. He won the audience's respect which is something that both Cameron and Miliband didn't particularly achieve.

Clegg: A
Cameron: B
Miliband: B-

All three parties will probably be happy with how their respective leaders faired.

Credit to Question Time for mostly getting the mix right with the audience as well. The right amount of toughness and assertiveness achieved. QT would be more watch-able if this could be maintained every time.

I believe the Ashcroft Poll for Sheffield had a quarter of Tory voters tactically voting for Clegg there. It should enough to keep him in.
Completely agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
In an ideal world we would have a bigger state and indeed a global one.
and the rich shouldn't do the right thing because they are paid to, capitalism will fail and profits especially on vital services are immoral.
And how will this bigger state be funded? By taxing the richest, presumably. The rich should do the right thing anyway, but they won't, people need incentives and that is exactly why your idea that 'capitalism will fail' is fundamentally flawed. If you remove financial incentive for people, they will not work. If you have a system of communism where those with the intellect and ability to perform vital roles, (doctors, lawyers etc) that require a certain calibre of person, have no incentive to perform those roles and work hard, they simply won't do the work. That means that the country is less efficient, as there are gaps in vital areas that provide vital services. The reality is, people do not work hard in particular jobs because they feel like it, in most cases, they work hard because they will earn more. If you dispute this point, you need only look at Russia under the communists; it crumbled because its economy was stagnant, and Gorbachov's movements closer to capitalism, through Glasnost and Perestroika, failed. People, fundamentally, work for their own gain, and therefore, capitalism is the only way forward.

Whilst I agree that there is a morality issue with profiting from vital services, at least those vital services are being provided.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Drink? Hug? Anyone?
Both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Drink? Hug? Anyone?
Both please.

Thatchers for me and another for thehistorybore if he's having another one, as well as whatever you're having.

:hugs:
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does that matter? As you so rightly stated this is FPTP and the votes (no matter how they are gained) will swing it in a constituency.

Suzanne Evans. That is all.
It makes me wonder if it's likely but I'd really rather he doesn't get it.

who?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads