Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just passed both of my skills tests!

If anyone is struggling with the numeracy aspect, i suggest to go onto the G & A Numerical Youtube videos, without this guy i doubt i would've passed

by the way, do you find out the percentage score of your tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahM94)
    I just passed both of my skills tests!

If anyone is struggling with the numeracy aspect, i suggest to go onto the G & A Numerical Youtube videos, without this guy i doubt i would've passed

Congratulations. Unfortunately or fortunately we don't get to see the marks. It's just pass

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasrin9494)
    Congratulations. Unfortunately or fortunately we don't get to see the marks. It's just pass

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks Nasrin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahM94)
    (Original post by nasrin9494)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your ITT provider can see the percentage scores so you can ask them. (I have seen mine through my SCITT.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *tango*)
    Your ITT provider can see the percentage scores so you can ask them. (I have seen mine through my SCITT.)
    Hi,

Do you know if your training providers see the result of your skills tests or do you need to notify them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The providers seem generally to ask you to let them know either way, and then they can access your result to verify it for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    What do u guys think about the white paper? Will that affect us in any way (2016 - 2017)? I know they mentioned that new rules will come into play by 2020 but I'm just wondering...
    Also will the qts lose its value by 2020?

ReputationRep:
    After reading the proposal for the new teacher standards, the QTS will not lose its value. It shouldn't affect us other than they'll be bringing it in a couple of years after we've graduated and become teachers ourselves. It won't impose a threat on our qualification in anyway. It's just a way of the Government trying to make teacher training harder. 3 years of studying like accountants is a bit much isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my university to let them know if completed and passed them so that I could progress with my application. It might be an idea to let them know as then they can go and search your results ready for the next step of your application to.

ReputationRep:
    Still haven't heard back from UCL about my application. I really want to do a PGCE but I absolutely despise London with a passion so I feel so torn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADCtotheX)
    Did you have to look into/ ask about funding for this yourself or was it just given to you automatically??

If you had to apply for it, who did you speak to?

Thanks!
    I didn't applied for it. They said that it will be given to the eligible candidates automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by actingninja)
    After reading the proposal for the new teacher standards, the QTS will not lose its value. It shouldn't affect us other than they'll be bringing it in a couple of years after we've graduated and become teachers ourselves. It won't impose a threat on our qualification in anyway. It's just a way of the Government trying to make teacher training harder. 3 years of studying like accountants is a bit much isn't it?
    Thank god it doesn't affect us. 3 years of studying is just crazy on top of bachelor's degree. I'd rather do a master

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get the full student loan of 10,139? I applied for that but they gave me less as they said its reduced if applied for a grant? What grants could they be on about?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbles)
    Did anyone get the full student loan of 10,139? I applied for that but they gave me less as they said its reduced if applied for a grant? What grants could they be on about?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much is the PGCE? Haven't applied yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    How much is the PGCE? Haven't applied yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

£9,000 but you might be eligible for a bursary.

Ugh, I applied last week and got denied at Sheffield. Got this feeling that they didn't even read my email explaining why I don't have some of the qualifications yet. I want to ask why I was unsuccessful but if they haven't replied to my last two emails I don't think they will do this time. So disappointed right now, really wanted to do Spanish and Japanese. For all you MFL people, do you guys know any other places that offer Japanese as a second language? The only one listed at UCAS was the uni of Sheffield, but in most of the programmes it just says "modern languages" and the websites only specify the "main" languages (which makes me unsure about if there are other secondary languages or not).

For people that are going to study at London, I just assumed it was a very expensive city to live in. Are there particular universities located in not so expensive areas? I clearly need to review my options. I would have to spend less than £500 pcm for a room and I don't have a car so I'd have to live closeby...

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blanshdivua)
    £9,000 but you might be eligible for a bursary.

Ugh, I applied last week and got denied at Sheffield. Got this feeling that they didn't even read my email explaining why I don't have some of the qualifications yet. I want to ask why I was unsuccessful but if they haven't replied to my last two emails I don't think they will do this time. So disappointed right now, really wanted to do Spanish and Japanese. For all you MFL people, do you guys know any other places that offer Japanese as a second language? The only one listed at UCAS was the uni of Sheffield, but in most of the programmes it just says "modern languages" and the websites only specify the "main" languages (which makes me unsure about if there are other secondary languages or not).

For people that are going to study at London, I just assumed it was a very expensive city to live in. Are there particular universities located in not so expensive areas? I clearly need to review my options. I would have to spend less than £500 pcm for a room and I don't have a car so I'd have to live closeby...

Thank you!
    I got rejected from Sheffield for Mandarin and French/German because there are no state schools offering placements for non standard languages (i.e. languages that aren't Spanish or French) so I've applied to UCL which I really don't want to go to. I've also applied to a training programme at a private school in Worksop, just so I can stay up north. I just hope it's successful

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm getting really nervous for my maths qts test next week.. does anyone know if it's anything like the practice ones online? heard loads of people say the written section is a lot harder in the real one!?

Any advice would be much appreciated! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I got rejected from Sheffield for Mandarin and French/German because there are no state schools offering placements for non standard languages (i.e. languages that aren't Spanish or French) so I've applied to UCL which I really don't want to go to. I've also applied to a training programme at a private school in Worksop, just so I can stay up north. I just hope it's successful
    The thing is me and a friend both applied to Spanish and Japanese (or French in his case) and just Spanish hoping for better chances of staying together. I literally wasted two of the three choices on Sheffield. They may have let me out because they have no available places for Japanese (even though in the search tool you can still see that there are available places), but they should have considered me for Spanish in that case. I guess I'm not good enough? I emailed them telling them that even though I still don't have experience I was already arranging to get one or two weeks off in May to fly to England, get experience and the tests done.

Anyway, I was wondering if I get some Japanese official test done, would that make me sort of a Japanese teacher? I mean PGCE + another language = another languages teacher? How's that transition done if in the next 10 years I decide I want to study and teach another language? Because I figure not all the Japanese teachers come from Sheffield, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blanshdivua)
    The thing is me and a friend both applied to Spanish and Japanese (or French in his case) and just Spanish hoping for better chances of staying together. I literally wasted two of the three choices on Sheffield. They may have let me out because they have no available places for Japanese (even though in the search tool you can still see that there are available places), but they should have considered me for Spanish in that case. I guess I'm not good enough? I emailed them telling them that even though I still don't have experience I was already arranging to get one or two weeks off in May to fly to England, get experience and the tests done.

Anyway, I was wondering if I get some Japanese official test done, would that make me sort of a Japanese teacher? I mean PGCE + another language = another languages teacher? How's that transition done if in the next 10 years I decide I want to study and teach another language? Because I figure not all the Japanese teachers come from Sheffield, right?
    The thing is, if you don't have a PGCE in a subject, you can't legally teach it in British schools. Schools in this country seem to have a real dislike for language learning, due to the misconception everyone already speaks English, when in fact, only 25% of the world speaks English, and that figure includes both native and non native speakers. I've applied to UCL to do Mandarin and EAL so I have the opportunity to move abroad and teach in a country which actually appreciates the value of multilingualism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    The thing is, if you don't have a PGCE in a subject, you can't legally teach it in British schools. Schools in this country seem to have a real dislike for language learning, due to the misconception everyone already speaks English, when in fact, only 25% of the world speaks English, and that figure includes both native and non native speakers. I've applied to UCL to do Mandarin and EAL so I have the opportunity to move abroad and teach in a country which actually appreciates the value of multilingualism
    That's a great idea, kawaii. I was actually thinking about moving abroad after the induction period. It really sucks that you get stuck with the one or two languages that you studied during the PGCE, hopefully they change it somehow in the future.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.