Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Liverpool to do Law with Spanish and have received an offer and firmed up on it, has anyone else applied to Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! good luck with exams

(Original post by srai243)
    Thanks so much for replying! I was a little worried about kings due to their campus being spread out over London quite a lot, and a person I know who studied there did not enjoy the social side of things. But I guess that just depends on personal preference. Maybe see you next year then!

ReputationRep:
    After what seems lika a long wait, I've finally gotten all my decisions: rejected from Bristol and Durham, offers from Birmingham, Manchester and Southampton.
    I'd kindly ask you to help me make up my mind regarding Manchester vs Birmingham. While Birmingham requires lower grades, I'd be able to reach those required by Manchester too, and now I'm wondering whether there's a real reason for them to ask higher grades.
    Thank you, in advance, for your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from Durham this evening so now I'm having to decide between York and Nottingham and I really don't know what to do😁 any opinions on either???? please any opinions would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyABr)
    I got rejected from Durham this evening so now I'm having to decide between York and Nottingham and I really don't know what to do😁 any opinions on either???? please any opinions would be great
    I'm sorry, what time did you find out? and did they say why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    They explained to me they are comparing against others. If you havn't had a rejection you are still in the running but you are basically somewhere in a list and as someone else turns an offer down they give it to the first in the ordered list and send a rejection to the last on the list. Problem is you don't know where you are on the list and when people will make their final choices so you could go all the way to May.

I told them either give me an offer or reject me as I have accomodation to sort out at other choices and can't do it until I firm. After that they sent me a semi rejection/sales pitch trying to get me to sign up for another course. Even though I told them I wasnt interested, they didnt release me from UCAS for another week hoping I would change my mind. I certainly wasn't happy with them messing about holding me up for another week due to an enforced sales pitch.
    I suppose what they did is send you the regular rejection email which for some people also includes an offer for the Social Policy course. I doubt they did the one-week delay thing on purpose, as it may take some time for them to sort everything out.

Regardless, withdrawing is probably the most efficient thing you can do in such a case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham > York.

Nottingham is consistently being named as one of the UK's leading law schools and has a strong reputation amongst MC/SC firms and South East Asia.

York, whilst also a good university, is often said to be too focused on group work(?) and has a lesser showing of graduates at top firms.

The only reasons I'd give for choosing York over Nottingham are:
    - You want to live closer to home, assuming you live close to York
    - You prefer the idea of group work
    - You like the look of York over Nottingham
    - You have a typical offer of AAA from York, and A*AA from Nottingham = easier to get York grades

ReputationRep:
    My mum was talking to a lady involved in admissions at Edinburgh and was told there were 32000 applicants for humanities and social sciences so that other than contextual offers only offering places to those with or predicted top grades/marks as level of competition exceptionally high.

ReputationRep:
    If you can handle it, put Nottingham as a firm (A*AA) and York as your insurance

ReputationRep:
    Just got an offer from LSE! Ahh so unexpected. Now have all 5 (QMUL, Bristol, KCL, UCL and LSE)
    Stuck between UCL and LSE as my firm now- anyone have any thoughts?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Sooo.. I got A* in literature A* in philosophy and A in law, (im on a gap year) I have since been rejected from kings Bristol and Cambridge (I'm guessing because of my LNAT of 21).

Nottingham still haven't got back to me yet which I find strange as I applied early December, is there a chance of me getting in? For people who have got an offer, can you tell me your predicted grades or your LNAT score?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    Yep!
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaJBrady)
    Just got an offer from LSE! Ahh so unexpected. Now have all 5 (QMUL, Bristol, KCL, UCL and LSE)
    Stuck between UCL and LSE as my firm now- anyone have any thoughts?
    Cheers
    My son's stuck between LSE and Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesta)
    My son's stuck between LSE and Bristol
    In terms of job prospects lse is in much higher regard to leading law firms because London and reputation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    In terms of job prospects lse is in much higher regard to leading law firms because London and reputation
    I know, he visited today and loved London, loved the campus and course but a guy from LSE who was in charge of events said that the social life was limited and there was a clear divide between students.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no... Only Oxford and Cambridge are "much higher". LSE does not have the same wow factor.

ReputationRep:
    I know, he visited today and loved London, loved the campus and course but a guy from LSE who was in charge of events said that the social life was limited and there was a clear divide between students.
    Which way is he leaning?

I'd go for Bristol if I was him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Lol no... Only Oxford and Cambridge are "much higher". LSE does not have the same wow factor.
    It depends how you look at it honestly...lse has a much higher international ranking than Bristol and for some courses are higher than Oxford and Cambridge
    Also my cousin was rejected from lse this year after a prediction of 5A*s at a2, with all a* at GCSEs and 95+ ums in all 6 of his as levels! Bearing in mind this was for economics but you see where I am coming from

ReputationRep:
    The social life is what you make of it really! If I was him I would choose lse but ultimately it's up to him!

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you look at it honestly...lse has a much higher international ranking than Bristol and for some courses are higher than Oxford and Cambridge
    Also my cousin was rejected from lse this year after a prediction of 5A*s at a2, with all a* at GCSEs and 95+ ums in all 6 of his as levels! Bearing in mind this was for economics but you see where I am coming from
    LSE has a better international reputation, of course. "Much higher" - no. Only Oxbridge can claim this title. LSE does not beat Oxbridge in any course no matter what people say. The way the tutorials are conducted there makes it a lot more personal and thus a lot more effective.

Yeah but that still doesn't mean anything... I have seen of a person with 7A*s at A-Level being rejected from Oxford for Chemistry (not even the most competitive subject there).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.