Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    It's been made official: I spend too much time on here. Have passed the 50,000 posts mark :headfire: :awesome: :king1: :banana: :yeah:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :getmecoat:
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Congratulations!
    Thank you. I think I ought to be in the Queen's Bday Honours List, for services to education :smartass:

:teehee:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    It's been made official: I spend too much time on here. Have passed the 50,000 posts mark :headfire: :awesome: :king1: :banana: :yeah:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :getmecoat:
    Aww yay! I think I'm very far off... :giggle:

Thank you for your lovely comment earlier btw. It won't let me rep you! :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Aww yay! I think I'm very far off... :giggle:

Thank you for your lovely comment earlier btw. It won't let me rep you! :hide:
    I'm a lot older than you, remember! I turn 28 in just over 2 weeks!!! :shakecane:

No worries

I'm a lot older than you, remember! I turn 28 in just over 2 weeks!!! :shakecane:

No worries
    28????? :eek:
    omg that is amazing :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    28????? :eek:
    omg that is amazing :eek:
    Indeed. I am older than the Internet :shakecane:

that is amazing.
    i admire you so much <3

ReputationRep:
    that is amazing.
    i admire you so much <3
    So you should! They were tough times, the pre-Internet/pre-smart phone days :sadnod: :nopity: :sadnod:

So you should! They were tough times, the pre-Internet/pre-smart phone days :sadnod: :nopity: :sadnod:
    no i just mean because you have made it to 28 and that is amazing because it is hard enough rn to want to survive the night nevermind get to 28
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    My 6 yr old nephew was marvelling at the fact that I'm older than the Harry Potter series today. Turns out I'm 10 years older

But I like being old enough to remember no computers and dial up connection. And being told your download would take 27 years and just giving up lol

ReputationRep:
    no i just mean because you have made it to 28 and that is amazing because it is hard enough rn to want to survive the night nevermind get to 28
    There have been plenty of times when I've thought I wouldn't make it to this age, tbh. It can be very hard to keep going! But I live in hope that I can somehow, someday, live a better quality of life

(Original post by ~Tara~)
    My 6 yr old nephew was marvelling at the fact that I'm older than the Harry Potter series today. Turns out I'm 10 years older

But I like being old enough to remember no computers and dial up connection. And being told your download would take 27 years and just giving up lol
    Dial up connection :afraid: :hide: :ahhhhh:

Those were the days! :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hun, I appreciate you writing and showing your support, always :lovehug:

I'm guessing you have heard of schemas in your therapy/in your own training? It sounds like this person has activated some of yours in quite a strong way. I am concerned about the impact reuniting with this person may have on you and your recovery It's ultimately your decision but maybe you should bring this up in your next therapy session?

Absolutely no judgement from me though, coz I do the same thing with people all the time. I can't seem to get away from people who treat me badly or trigger my schemas. In fact, I seem to be really drawn to them in a really alarming way :sigh: So I really DO understand, even though the situations may be different :console: :sadnod: :jumphug:
    I can imagine my therapist reminding me that I can't heal whilst I'm re-triggering the thing to heal from. Probably put better than that because he has a better way with words.

This week is so long. I really want therapy and to be with therapist, the only person who seems to be able to talk to real me. I spent time with my dad today, whom therapist and I are uncovering dark memories about, and he was normal. I got no weird vibes and now I feel like a liar. But then today I can't remember some stuff i know happened for definite so...memory sucks.

--

Had hospital app today. Now have to have hearing aids. Gonna be strange

ReputationRep:

No worries
    I turn 18 in just over two weeks. (Roughly. I have a basic rota which means it's like two weeks away lol)

I'm older than Google!

ReputationRep:
    Also I really appreciate your posts and support too TLG x

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine my therapist reminding me that I can't heal whilst I'm re-triggering the thing to heal from. Probably put better than that because he has a better way with words.

This week is so long. I really want therapy and to be with therapist, the only person who seems to be able to talk to real me. I spent time with my dad today, whom therapist and I are uncovering dark memories about, and he was normal. I got no weird vibes and now I feel like a liar. But then today I can't remember some stuff i know happened for definite so...memory sucks.

--

Had hospital app today. Now have to have hearing aids. Gonna be strange
    I don't know your therapist, obviously, but I can well imagine he would say something to that effect. Because it is the truth :sadnod: (I'm such a hypocrite for lecturing you about this, I know, but I'm honestly concerned )

The time in between therapy appointments can really drag and be hard, isn't it?

You're not a liar! :hugs: Not too sure of the history there but I'd wage that your dad is in the wrong here, NOT you :hugs: Hold on to that knowledge that he did whatever he did, and that it was not your fault :hugs:

You're very welcome x

I turn 18 in just over two weeks. (Roughly. I have a basic rota which means it's like two weeks away lol)

I'm older than Google!
    18, pffffft. I was 18 ten years ago :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know your therapist, obviously, but I can well imagine he would say something to that effect. Because it is the truth :sadnod: (I'm such a hypocrite for lecturing you about this, I know, but I'm honestly concerned )

You're not a liar! :hugs: Not too sure of the history there but I'd wage that your dad is in the wrong here, NOT you :hugs: Hold on to that knowledge that he did whatever he did, and that it was not your fault :hugs:

You're very welcome x

Not a hypocrite at all. If I sit and do what I help others to stop doing..and somehow still not be one then you're definitely not one

It seems silly to be like I can't stop..after a day. But, I can't. I need him. I'll find a way to be more level headed about it.

----

Id argue it was my fault but probably wouldn't win.

ReputationRep:

You're very welcome x

You old fart! :giggle: (no offence is meant by this!!!)

When's your birthday? Mines the 20th... I wanna see how close yours is to mine now you don't have to give it to me though!

ReputationRep:
    Not a hypocrite at all. If I sit and do what I help others to stop doing..and somehow still not be one then you're definitely not one

It seems silly to be like I can't stop..after a day. But, I can't. I need him. I'll find a way to be more level headed about it.

----

Id argue it was my fault but probably wouldn't win.
    It's not silly at all. Try not to be so hard on yourself. It's hard to keep level-headed when different personalities are involved.

TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE

Spoiler:
    Show
    I understand how you feel about your dad, even though I don't know what happened with him. I have wildly veering/ambivalent feelings towards my abuser. Even though I know it wasn't my fault deep down, Infant TLG is still convinced it was all her fault, somehow, and that I abused my abuser Try and think of it this way, though: if you read the cold hard facts about your life and your dad in, say, a newspaper article that was about someone else. What would you think? What would you say? Who would you say was to blame? I find that strategy helpful sometimes

You old fart! :giggle: (no offence is meant by this!!!)

When's your birthday? Mines the 20th... I wanna see how close yours is to mine now you don't have to give it to me though!
    YOUTH OF TODAY, NO RESPECT FOR ELDERS, GRRRRRR :shakecane: :mob: :security:

Mine is the 23rd :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Love my TSR friends :grouphugs:

(Original post by iEthan)
    Love my TSR friends :grouphugs:
    i hope i count if not this is awkward :rofl:
    love u too :cube:

----------
    sometimes i dont want them to go bc it is my own world. i can think whatever and i dont have to be ashamed of the things that come up because no-one can see them.
    i suppose in that way it is liberating although it is hard to think that when u wake up in some panic thing with palpitations at 4am.
    i would miss them in a strange way tho as they are constant when everything else is not.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.