Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    I'll be doing one or two of the A2 practicals on my return to college after half term. Any idea what it may be?
    With regard to maths, any tips on how to figure out what method to use for integration? That's one of my weaknesses. I've wasted quite a lot of time in the past on pursuing something that wasn't going to work!
    It's usually pretty obvious at A-level....

-If a substitution is what you need, they usually give you the sub and if not, it's pretty obvious anyway.
    -If it's a rational function with a product on the bottom, then partial fractions.
    -If it's a product of two functions (i.e. f(x).x or f(x).lnx) parts is usually the way to go.
    -Have a quick check if it's f'(x)/f(x) which is just a natural log integral or if it's f'(x).f(x) which is just a direct reversal of the chain rule.
    -Recall that integrating powers of sinx and cosx involves double angle formulae and tan^2 x = sec^2 x - 1
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    DRAW!
    Drawing graphs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    DRAW!
    Someone's on the pull. :L
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)

-If a substitution is what you need, they usually give you the sub and if not, it's pretty obvious anyway.
    -If it's a rational function with a product on the bottom, then partial fractions.
    -If it's a product of two functions (i.e. f(x).x or f(x).lnx) parts is usually the way to go.
    -Have a quick check if it's f'(x)/f(x) which is just a natural log integral or if it's f'(x).f(x) which is just a direct reversal of the chain rule.
    -Recall that integrating powers of sinx and cosx involves double angle formulae and tan^2 x = sec^2 x - 1
    Thanks FF. I'm really appreciative right now

ReputationRep:

cheers mate this is really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Drawing graphs?
    Someone's on the pull. :L
    Nevermind, your acquaintance with slang must be minimal...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'll be doing one or two of the A2 practicals on my return to college after half term. Any idea what it may be?
    With regard to maths, any tips on how to figure out what method to use for integration? That's one of my weaknesses. I've wasted quite a lot of time in the past on pursuing something that wasn't going to work!
    I'm not too sure as they change every year unfortunately, I would say its unwise to try them without first learning the content because if you're with my board OCR A then you'll only get 3 attempts at each to get your best score, so use them wisely.

Well when it comes to integration in C4 I can normally see which method to use.

I only tend to use by parts if I have 2 different functions of x and that one will become simplified when differentiating and that the other is able to integrate easily.
    If this fails me I go towards substitution for where I look at what is causing the problem in the integral and see whether a substitution will simplify things, although always be aware that you've got to rearrange to get dx as the subject of the formula.
    Finally is recognition which is the hardest I feel but just always keep a look out for the form your integral is in and if it includes the derivative over the function then it tends to be a log function, try simplifying by using the double angle formulas if trig is involved or just take a sledgehammer to it and use weirstrass substitution or however it's spelt

I hope this helps you

Edit: Got beaten to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    I'm not too sure as they change every year unfortunately, I would say its unwise to try them without first learning the content because if you're with my board OCR A then you'll only get 3 attempts at each to get your best score, so use them wisely.

Well when it comes to integration in C4 I can normally see which method to use.

I only tend to use by parts if I have 2 different functions of x and that one will become simplified when differentiating and that the other is able to integrate easily.
    If this fails me I go towards substitution for where I look at what is causing the problem in the integral and see whether a substitution will simplify things, although always be aware that you've got to rearrange to get dx as the subject of the formula.
    Finally is recognition which is the hardest I feel but just always keep a look out for the form your integral is in and if it includes the derivative over the function then it tends to be a log function, try simplifying by using the double angle formulas if trig is involved or just take a sledgehammer to it and use weirstrass substitution or however it's spelt

I hope this helps you

Edit: Got beaten to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my college, we get 2 attempts at each. I will be learning it in class .
    Thanks for the extended advice on integration .
    Edit: I know Felix posted beforehand, however your reply was still helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    I don't mean anything is unrealistic. I am just stating that if you're going for a mathematical subject at Cambridge then realistically you should be able to teach yourself the Maths if you don't want to redo the entire thing again, which wouldn't help anyone.
    Oh I've no problem self teaching, but I'm not sure if it's available to even sit Edexcel. I'm yr10 so I still have some time, and no problem sitting it again as I already know most of the content. Maybe I could get a better score than that of Edexcel even though CIE is harder.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    In my college, we get 2 attempts at each. I will be learning it in class .
    Thanks for the extended advice on integration .
    Edit: I know Felix posted beforehand, however your reply was still helpful!
    Okay, we'll I knew my practicals relied on the last unit information so if its the same or similar next year then I'd advise against trying them now, but it's your choice at the end of the day, just trying to say my opinion

He's a fast one and I feel his response covered more as mine was more of an overview of the different things that could appear in integration, completely left out partial fractions as I believe people should know how to simplify them then it's just working through the simple stages of integration

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Okay, we'll I knew my practicals relied on the last unit information so if its the same or similar next year then I'd advise against trying them now, but it's your choice at the end of the day, just trying to say my opinion
    Oh, it's a compulsory sitting!

He's a fast one and I feel his response covered more as mine was more of an overview of the different things that could appear in integration, completely left out partial fractions as I believe people should know how to simplify them then it's just working through the simple stages of integration
    Partial fractions are pretty obvious so you did what I requested, you answered my Question!

ReputationRep:
    How are you today Tigerz? Any maths probs that you need help with?
    Hello Reub (Is it alright if I call you that lols?) I'm good thanks you?
    Nah, i'm doing revision for f332 now, gonna be difficult! I shall let you know if I do though, there was something earlier but i've forgotten now!

OMFG! my cute niece just came over :') Gonna babysit her for the halfterm

Yeah, I find them rather pointless and a waste of my time too, so yeah that'll not happen for me I also know in my head what to get done in what time frame, I normally just ask too much of myself really and start to feel tired very easily, like right now I've got a headache but only over one eye -.-

Also just keep going and it'll all pay off on the day, you can do this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha story of my life! I do the same thing :/
    Thank you :')
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Oh, it's a compulsory sitting!

Partial fractions are pretty obvious so you did what I requested, you answered my Question!
    Oh, we'll best of luck then and I'm glad I could help with your question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tigerz)
    Hello Reub (Is it alright if I call you that lols?) I'm good thanks you?
    Nah, i'm doing revision for f332 now, gonna be difficult! I shall let you know if I do though, there was something earlier but i've forgotten now!

OMFG! my cute niece just came over :') Gonna babysit her for the halfterm
    Nice: re the niece.
    I see you do OCR salters Reubs is fine, however 'Reuben' is my second name. Keron, or some variant of it is preferable
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Oh, we'll best of luck then and I'm glad I could help with your question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is the "we'll" intentional?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Is the "we'll" intentional?
    Oh sorry, I meant well, as you probably have noticed I didn't double check what I was typing as I was writing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tigerz)
    Haha story of my life! I do the same thing :/
    Thank you :')
    It's alright, I may go and attempt some Chemistry questions in a while, first I've got to let this headache pass -.-

Also it never helps I only get about 6 hours of sleep, but I'll cope so its all good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Also it never helps I only get about 6 hours of sleep, but I'll cope so its all good

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't actually understand how you manage to live...I <3 my sleep

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with the question please?
    Integrate (x + cos2x) (9 marks)

On the mark scheme it said to expand the brackets, I got
    x^2 + 2xcosx + cos^2 2x (not sure if the last bit is right)

But the answer in the mark scheme( (of the expanded bit) was just 2xcosx :confused:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59535-m...ics-4-june.pdf
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I don't actually understand how you manage to live...I <3 my sleep
    You get use to it after a while, I don't even need an alarm anymore to wake up at 6 I just do now, although I'm not as bad as my mum as she only gets about 5-4 hours of sleep each night! I'd probably crash on that little amount of sleep!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.