Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tamara98)
    I got allocated to St Anne's !
    LOOOOL, the same college as the one I applied to - how insane!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to my why you would possible make an open application? I mean sure, you might not care which college you go to, and you there is a chance you might not even go to the college you apply for, but you are supposed to have an equal chance of getting into Oxford regardless of which college you apply to, so you surely must like one college just a little bit more than the others?! It just seems a bit pointless to me

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for christ church to send their acknowledgement. Stressing this out :||||

ReputationRep:
    How long has everyone been preparing for the admissions tests?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    By any chance, are you currently studying there ?
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Can someone explain to my why you would possible make an open application? I mean sure, you might not care which college you go to, and you there is a chance you might not even go to the college you apply for, but you are supposed to have an equal chance of getting into Oxford regardless of which college you apply to, so you surely must like one college just a little bit more than the others?! It just seems a bit pointless to me
    International applicant here. I didn't really know what to opt for. When I visited Oxford as tourist, I had no idea I'd apply and I really don't remember a lot of it anyway. So instead of choosing something randomly, I let Oxford choose for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    LOOOOL, the same college as the one I applied to - how insane!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my god you

(Original post by Eux)
    I'm an extremely flexible person and I simply couldn't make a choice. Although I did like some colleges more than the others, I know that in the end if I get an offer I'll like it wherever I am. I did get lucky with St Anne's though !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    I'm from Spain, so I had no idea about the different colleges, nor have I ever been to Oxford.

Therefore, I decided that I would rather be allocated to a random college than choosing one based on nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I've been allotted Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    I haven't done much for the PAT, but going through a few past papers, methinks the maths section isn't much to worry about. I'll be revising for the Physics section soon, though that's going to be difficult since I'll be writing my final CIE boards starting the 28th.

ReputationRep:
    + I'm also an international applicant !

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    Yep!
    That's incredible, what's your course ? Is the atmosphere as friendly as what it seems like, judging by the website and student testimonies ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    x
    x
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    x
    Thats fair enough and I understand why you made that choice, but surely you must know whether you want to spend 3 years in a college close to town, with a large number of students, big grounds, cheap or expensive accomodation, large number of tourists? I went to visit Oxford on one of their open days and I ended up applying to a college I haven't even been inside before, despite visiting Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    As I said before - I'm an extremely flexible person. Had I been the type of person that easily gets annoyed at little things I wouldn't have sent an open application.

Also, anyone knows if people get a randomly allocated college or do they read through your personal statement and grades a bit ? Like is there a giant hat with our names in it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Thats fair enough and I understand why you made that choice, but surely you must know whether you want to spend 3 years in a college close to town, with a large number of students, big grounds, cheap or expensive accomodation, large number of tourists? I went to visit Oxford on one of their open days and I ended up applying to a college I haven't even been inside before, despite visiting Oxford!
    There's also the fact that I was planning to apply to Cambridge (Christ's) until two days before I submitted my application. As I said before, I'm neck deep in preparation for my finals and I didn't really want to spend my time over this. While I get that it's a pretty important choice, I've lived in a (near) third world country all my life and while I'm used to comfort, I don't think other factors would affect me that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    International applicant here. I didn't really know what to opt for. When I visited Oxford as tourist, I had no idea I'd apply and I really don't remember a lot of it anyway. So instead of choosing something randomly, I let Oxford choose for me.
    I am an international applicant too and I have never even been to Oxford. So I based my decision on the information available online ( I visited all official college homepages etc.). This is also how I found thestudentroom - I ended up here when I was searching for pros and cons of different colleges. Btw, this article is really great and helped me a lot. :-)
    I also had some criteria I searched for - like I wanted accomodation for all years, nice rooms (based on the pictures), low prices for accomodation, decent food (could not know about this but again - internet helped), not too far away from the city centre etc.

I finally applied to Merton college. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Since July.

ReputationRep:
    As I said before - I'm an extremely flexible person. Had I been the type of person that easily gets annoyed at little things I wouldn't have sent an open application.

Also, anyone knows if people get a randomly allocated college or do they read through your personal statement and grades a bit ? Like is there a giant hat with our names in it ?
    As far as I know, it all happens by chance. I remember reading somewhere that it was made by a computer randomly.

I am now thinking that it might just be done in a way that those colleges that receive less applications are compesated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliverdobbs)
    Since July.
    Subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    I am an international applicant too and I have never even been to Oxford. So I based my decision on the information available online ( I visited all official college homepages etc.). This is also how I found thestudentroom - I ended up here when I was searching for pros and cons of different colleges. Btw, this article is really great and helped me a lot. :-)
    I also had some criteria I searched for - like I wanted accomodation for all years, nice rooms (based on the pictures), low prices for accomodation, decent food (could not know about this but again - internet helped), not too far away from the city centre etc.

I finally applied to Merton college. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seem really thorough, wow. I probably would have done something similar had I had time before submitting my UCAS. Too busy revising, unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's incredible, what's your course ? Is the atmosphere as friendly as what it seems like, judging by the website and student testimonies ?
    Earth Sciences and yes, it's really great here. I understand why some people might find the grander, older colleges more exciting but personally I think St. Anne's is a breath of fresh air. It's completely unpretentious, relaxed, down to earth and absolutely friendly - everyone is very approachable here. I've stayed in several other colleges for residential summer schools and stuff and whilst they might have been prettier than St. Anne's (although we do have some nice gardens down the back), St. Anne's is by far the place I'd be happiest actually living in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.