Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    what do they have instead?
    They just have a standardised permanent contract. It's to encourage you to think long-term about a career with GS and them being able to invest more in you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    They just have a standardised permanent contract. It's to encourage you to think long-term about a career with GS and them being able to invest more in you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    for longer period then two years? gs sounds great... is it still a sweatshop culture?

ReputationRep:
    for longer period then two years? gs sounds great... is it still a sweatshop culture?
    Well I mean you can leave but there is none of that renewal or switching to permenant ****. Once you're employed, you actually have a job.

You'll have to ask Aenigma. They brought in new policies like other places to make junior banker life better but I imagine it still very much like it was before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Well I mean you can leave but there is none of that renewal or switching to permenant ****. Once you're employed, you actually have a job.

You'll have to ask Aenigma. They brought in new policies like other places to make junior banker life better but I imagine it still very much like it was before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hypothetically if gs do that would most banks follow

ReputationRep:
    hypothetically if gs do that would most banks follow
    Well, other places have brought in policies. JPM has some vulgar Excel spreadsheet thing called 'block weekends' or something that tracks your working hours but like I say, I think it's all PR, I don't think it's enforced properly. No idea about the contract thing though.

I think GS has a particular problem in the US for instance with losing talent to PE, HF, VC and Tech which is why they did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do any firms not interview for their SW schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    Do any firms not interview for their SW schemes?
    Haven't heard of any that do not interview. I know ICAP has an integrated AC/final round interview. Is there any reason you don't want to interview, assuming that you're concerned about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Haven't heard of any that do not interview. I know ICAP has an integrated AC/final round interview. Is there any reason you don't want to interview, assuming that you're concerned about it?
    Thanks, I thought that would be the case.

I'm only concerned with finding the time to invest the necessary effort into preparing for any such interview. On that note, do you know of any good resources (Economist/FT and generic interview help websites aside)?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I thought that would be the case.

I'm only concerned with finding the time to invest the necessary effort into preparing for any such interview. On that note, do you know of any good resources (Economist/FT and generic interview help websites aside)?
    Investopedia, Wall Street Oasis, Glass Door (good for finding out the specific questions ea bank is likely to ask).

YouTube would be a good place to start with interview advice. Generally you're expected to use the STAR technique when answering competency questions.

S - Situation
    T - Task
    A - Action
    R
    - Result

Most interviews at this stage will include Competency/Motivation/Commercial awarness questions with some firms (DB/CS/MS/ICAP) possibly asking some technicals.

To best prepare for this, keep up to date with the news throguh FT/Economists or if you don't have a subscription download the BBC News app on your phone.

It's better to find the time to invest in first year as 2nd year your uni work ramps up and the process is a lot longer than if you can convert a spring weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Investopedia, Wall Street Oasis, Glass Door (good for finding out the specific questions ea bank is likely to ask).

YouTube would be a good place to start with interview advice. Generally you're expected to use the STAR technique when answering competency questions.

S - Situation
    T - Task
    A - Action
    R
    - Result

Most interviews at this stage will include Competency/Motivation/Commercial awarness questions with some firms (DB/CS/MS/ICAP) possibly asking some technicals.

To best prepare for this, keep up to date with the news throguh FT/Economists or if you don't have a subscription download the BBC News app on your phone.

It's better to find the time to invest in first year as 2nd year your uni work ramps up and the process is a lot longer than if you can convert a spring weeks.
    That's really helpful, thank you.

I've been to a few CS/GS/MS networking events so I'll use the notes I took from those to tailor any apps I do, and I should really try to book in for an interview session at my uni's careers service next term. That's all easier said than done, mind.

As for CVs, GS and MS both emphasised that one page is preferable, but I'm finding that impossible - in practical terms do most people submit 2 page CVs?

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thank you.

I've been to a few CS/GS/MS networking events so I'll use the notes I took from those to tailor any apps I do, and I should really try to book in for an interview session at my uni's careers service next term. That's all easier said than done, mind.

As for CVs, GS and MS both emphasised that one page is preferable, but I'm finding that impossible - in practical terms do most people submit 2 page CVs?
    Definitely use those notes!

As for your CV keep it to one page, no exceptions. I posted an old version of mine a while back, here is an example:

ReputationRep:
    As for your CV keep it to one page, no exceptions.
    Looks like it's back to the drawing board for my CV then!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it's back to the drawing board for my CV then!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
    Which college?

ReputationRep:
    is rothschild rolling? thought I read it somewhere here but not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refrigerator)
    I haven't heard a thing and I submitted it early October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refrigerator)
    I attended an insight event with them in October; the HR told me that they will (probably) start reviewing in December, after completing the summer stuff.

I called them during 2nd week on December - they said we can expect to hear back early in January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any last-minute interview advice for Pwc? Phone interview tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    Benchmark for HSBC SHL anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_fox)
    Any last-minute interview advice for Pwc? Phone interview tomorrow morning.
    when did you apply? and when did you get the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProjectNr2)
    when did you apply? and when did you get the interview?
    Applied for their Women in business programquite a while ago, maybe end of October, got the interview about two weeks ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.