Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANippyWinger)
    Don't mean to come across in a bad way but do you not think that you're more than capable in an attacking sense as it stands? Of course if injuries should come then there could be problems, but Sanchez is exceptional, Giroud will score goals, Walcott as well and your midfielders are more than capable of chipping in. Schneiderlin would have been a brilliant signing for you, you've sorted out the keeper problem now but if you could get a good holding midfielder then you would have a very good squad.

Of course you watch Arsenal more than I do but a holding midfielder should be priority IMO.
    The way I see it (and I'm probably in a minority) I split the team into the central 3 (cdm, dlp/b2b, cam) and the front 3 (rw, lw, st).
    For the central 3 we have 5 top players, 1 of which is world class (Ozil) and then 1 who can play central if needed (ox), then flam and Arteta who are **** but bring experience. Against the bottom half a Wilshere-Ramsey-Ozil or Coq-Santi-Ozil will win every game, and against the 5-10 teams we could play Coq-Wilshere-Ozil and be more defensive. Sneiderlin would have been wonderful to play alongside Coq against the top 4 but we already have players there so can see why he wasn't signed. What I'm trying to say is he didn't improve the squad by £25mil.

Up top we have only 4 top players, 1 of which is class (Sanchez), and 4 players who can play poorly out of position on wing if needed, then Welbeck, Campbell, Gnabry who are all pretty poor. Because of that I think a ST or winger would be much more important for us especially as 2 injuries and we're down to playing welbeck. Benzema, Reus etc. Would add £40mil in quality up top imo.

Basically, if it's a choice between st/winger and cdm (which I personally would think it is) then I'd be choosing the st/winger all day long

ReputationRep:
    How can you write Campbell Welbeck and Gnabry out of the discussion because you think they're not good enough to warrant it, but then include Arteta and Flamini?

I'm not arguing that we don't need a better striker, but If one of our forward players gets injured, we have various options for cover, plus plenty of creativity throughout the midfield to try to ride out a bad spell. Whereas our only properly defensive-minded CMs are Flamini and Coq. Flamini is hopefully and probably on his way out, leaving just coquelin. Even if you argue that Arteta could play deep against lower teams, we still have a much more severe lack of quality at DM than we do in attacking positions.

Anyway I'd say both positions are important to any title aspirations really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    How can you write Campbell Welbeck and Gnabry out of the discussion because you think they're not good enough to warrant it, but then include Arteta and Flamini?

I'm not arguing that we don't need a better striker, but If one of our forward players gets injured, we have various options for cover, plus plenty of creativity throughout the midfield to try to ride out a bad spell. Whereas our only properly defensive-minded CMs are Flamini and Coq. Flamini is hopefully and probably on his way out, leaving just coquelin. Even if you argue that Arteta could play deep against lower teams, we still have a much more severe lack of quality at DM than we do in attacking positions.

I was actually saying both lots should be discounted. Wilshere can play dm too and if coq gets injured we can drop Santi and play Ramsey instead. There are definitely options there.

Tell me what do we do when Sanchez gets injured, or Walcott gets his annual 3 month lay off?
    I've never denied we need another cdm, but st is a priority imo.

On a sidenote good to see jenko has signed a new 5 year deal and been loaned to west ham again, big future at this club if he's patient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)

Watch when Wenger makes Santi our new CDM. swirly Predicted this first in fairness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Lolwut? Chelsea have bought a no. 2 keeper and loaned a flop striker (who may turn good but may not). City have just spent £45mil in a player who's worth half that and have an aging squad, I agree with jam I'd be stunned if they compete
    I guess I should have said: what I expect them to spend rather than what they have actually spent up to now.
    Of course, I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Edit: also, about falcao. Mourinho isn't an idiot, I think he was confident that he could get falcao back to at least decent form before he decided to loan him.

ReputationRep:
    I still think we should get rid of Mertesacker... We need a centre back to partner Koscielny, Jose Fonte?? And a decent left back, plus a big name striker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Don't see the need for another attacking player unless someone exceptional become available. We're pretty well equipped up front and in the wings.

Another DM is absolutely essential in my eyes. I'd have no complaints if Cech and another DM was our only business
    What happens if Giroud becomes injured? Apart from a few moments of genius near the end of last season, Theo doesn't have the capability of height and physical presence to warrant playing for ST. Wouldn't place Alexis there either aswell as the guy cannot be tracking back so many times during a match and then play that position. Welbeck isn't reliable enough.

Ngl, i'd be over the moon if we make CDM signing in this window, whether it be Vidal Carvalho etc, but I still think we need that clinical beast upfront who's gonna bang them in and out for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    What happens if Giroud becomes injured? Apart from a few moments of genius near the end of last season, he doesn't have the capability of height and physical presence to warrant playing for ST. Wouldn't place Alexis there either aswell as the guy cannot be tracking back so many times during a match and then play that position. Welbeck isn't reliable enough.

Ngl, i'd be over the moon if we make CDM signing in this window, whether it be Vidal Carvalho etc, but I still think we need that clinical beast upfront who's gonna bang them in and out for us.
    This is where wenger got it all wrong.
    He bought wellbeck as cover for Giroud when in fact he should have bought someone to replace Giroud in the starting 11 entirely, leaving Giroud as the back up.
    No offence to either Giroud or Wellback but neither belong in a starting 11 which is capable of winning the premier league.

Edit: Of course, Giroud can prove people wrong in the same way Van persie proved everyone wrong but we all know how that ended up and how long do we need to wait for that, assuming it does happen?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/com...g_to_is_marco/

lol

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be suprised if the top signing would be bring infamous Lord Bendtner back

ReputationRep:
    It's Benzema

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gonna take me a bit to get used to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Gonna take me a bit to get used to

I like it, reminds me of the Dreamcast outfit the legends donned a decade back

ReputationRep:
    It's a kit ffs, why do your media team hype these irrelevant things up so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    It's a kit ffs, why do your media team hype these irrelevant things up so much?
    We never did this with Nike so Puma probably behind it

This is Puma's biggest deal in club football. Arsenal is the biggest club they're currently manufacturing kits for. You can forgive their marketing guys for wanting to hype their brand up a bit especially considering they don't have the presence at the top end of the tables across Europe compared to Adidas and Nike.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool fans starting a petition to get their owners to sign Reus. Just ****ing looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooool.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool fans starting a petition to get their owners to sign Reus. Just ****ing looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooool.
    Haha, Reus will watch and boy them off by signing for a rival club .

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Reus will watch and boy them off by signing for a rival club .
    We aren't their rivals , Sanchez MKII.

In all seriousness I would be astounded if he moved, there's' more chance of me getting a 1st when my results are released in an hour and the chances of that are pretty much zilch

ReputationRep:
    We aren't their rivals , Sanchez MKII.

In all seriousness I would be astounded if he moved, there's' more chance of me getting a 1st when my results are released in an hour and the chances of that are pretty much zilch
    LOOL oh ****, I hope you get a decent set of results bro - possibly 2:1? What you planning after this, find a job?

ReputationRep:
    LOOL oh ****, I hope you get a decent set of results bro - possibly 2:1? What you planning after this, find a job?
    Haha thanks mate I'd take a 2:1 right now tbh. It's only first year results so they don't matter much, just need to pass all to get into next year so it's quite chilled tbh

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.