Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, if you find a pattern between set a and b for one question within that scenario, is it the same pattern relevant between all the other questions within that section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doculmc7171)
    Did any currency questions come in the real exam? I really struggle with those. I don't know how to convert currencies.
    it isnt the same questions in every persons exam. best bet is to have a look on GCSE bitsize and re-familiarise yourself with them. i wasnt but im much better now

ReputationRep:
    GUYS,,,,Exam is tomorrow and I'm still finding AR so difficult and confusing!! I was getting really good scores on medify but Im doing really badly on the official ones.....HELP!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I sat my ukcat today and got an 717 average:

VR 640
    QR 900
    AR 610
    SJT- Band 1
    Total 2150

I just wanted to reassure everyone that's freaking out that the QR is easier in the actual exam and using the number pad on the keyboard really speeds you up so it's not so time pressured. AR is harder than medify definitely but I guessed most of them and still got a decent score so don't panic. I revised using medify for 2 weeks so you definitely don't have to go on any of these expensive courses to do well- just do practice questions as much as you can and you'll be fine.

Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Don't be silly, it's a good score and you're within a shot for an interview at any London Uni that uses the UKCAT. KCL and Queen Mary don't have a strict cut off point and many people have been interviewed with similar/lower scores before. Well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much i was worried about london unis not thinking it high enough.

ReputationRep:
    Which unis don't care that much about the UKCAT? Making a list of prospective unis depending on what score I get aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elishchambers)
    Hi guys,

VR 640
    QR 900
    AR 610
    Total 2150

I just wanted to reassure everyone that's freaking out that the QR is easier in the actual exam and using the number pad on the keyboard really speeds you up so it's not so time pressured. AR is harder than medify definitely but I guessed most of them and still got a decent score so don't panic. I revised using medify for 2 weeks so you definitely don't have to go on any of these expensive courses to do well- just do practice questions as much as you can and you'll be fine.

Good luck everyone.
    what kind of scores were you getting on each of the sections when practicing?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

VR 640
    QR 900
    AR 610
    Total 2150

Good luck everyone.
    How did you find VR? Was it texts with lots of subject-specific terminology that its hard to skim read? Was it similar to Medify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettwinters)
    what kind of scores were you getting on each of the sections when practicing?
    On the medify mini mocks I got VR 770 QR 650 AR 670, then on the medify mocks I was getting anywhere in the range from VR 600-700 QR 500-700 AR 600-700. In one mock I remember getting a 520 in QR so after that I focuses a lot on quick fire maths and it really helped drag my score up. In SJT I got a band 1 in the actual UKCAT but I hadn't been getting above band 2 in the mocks so I think it just went well for me on the day.

ReputationRep:
    Is average 620 too low a score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Vr:670
    AR:590
    QR:770
    average 677 total 2030
    Is this good enough for any london unis. St george maybe

Hi,
    How the uni decide the test. Do they look for each section ,average, or band.
    I am worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    How did you find VR? Was it texts with lots of subject-specific terminology that its hard to skim read? Was it similar to Medify?
    It's almost the same as medify thankfully- some of the real UKCAT passages were shorter than medify I would say. I got about 4 true/false/can't tell questions that were quite easy to skim read and find keywords. There were 2 really difficult comprehension question passages with lots of strange and misleading terminology with no keywords so I ended up having to take an educated guess I those. But all in all it was pretty fair as the really difficult passages were balanced out by the easier ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Which unis don't care that much about the UKCAT? Making a list of prospective unis depending on what score I get aha
    If your GCSEs are good Cardiff only use UKCAT as a tie breaker so that might be worth considering. Again if your GCSEs are good then Birmingham puts a much higher % score in academics than UKCAT.

Bristol are very personal statement heavy (80%) and your UKCAT only accounts for 10% of your total score there so it's worth a shot if your UKCAT doesn't go amazing and you've got a tonne of work experience to put on your personal statement.

You could also look at some BMAT unis like Lancaster or Brighton and Sussex Medical.

Best of luck with your UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elishchambers;[url="tel:67305054")
    67305054[/url]]On the medify mini mocks I got VR 770 QR 650 AR 670, then on the medify mocks I was getting anywhere in the range from VR 600-700 QR 500-700 AR 600-700. In one mock I remember getting a 520 in QR so after that I focuses a lot on quick fire maths and it really helped drag my score up. In SJT I got a band 1 in the actual UKCAT but I hadn't been getting above band 2 in the mocks so I think it just went well for me on the day.
    Thanks! Also what did you find difficult about abstract? because I thought I was good at abstract until I did medify and I got 570 in one so if it was harder than medify then I'm screwed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettwinters)
    Thanks! Also what did you find difficult about abstract? because I thought I was good at abstract until I did medify and I got 570 in one so if it was harder than medify then I'm screwed!
    No worries. The only thing that was difficult about abstract was that there were lots of overlapping patterns on each set to form one big complex pattern: for example it wasn't just total sides=11, it was total sides=11 and then a fixed number of black shapes or circles etc. From medify, I got used to just looking for one single pattern and teaching myself to not over complicate it, but then it the real exam it was quite complicated and I just didn't have time to find all the patterns. I only managed to find a few partial patterns and then had to guess the rest. Also there were quite a few set A/set B questions that medify didn't have many of so I was a bit thrown by them.

As long as you manage to get a few partial patterns though you should be find, stick to whichever mnemonic you use (I used NSPC) and don't get stressed if you can't find a pattern just take a guess.

ReputationRep:
    On the medify mini mocks I got VR 770 QR 650 AR 670, then on the medify mocks I was getting anywhere in the range from VR 600-700 QR 500-700 AR 600-700. In one mock I remember getting a 520 in QR so after that I focused a lot on quick fire maths and it really helped drag my score up. In SJT I got a band 1 in the actual UKCAT but I hadn't been getting above band 2 in the mocks so I think it just went well for me on the day.

What resource did you use to help drag your score up? Going over GCSE maths or using specific questions of some sort?

And well done, your score is great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1234567)
    What resource did you use to help drag your score up? Going over GCSE maths or using specific questions of some sort?

And well done, your score is great!
    Thanks! I used medify and the 1000Q's book- but I would recommend medify more as I don't think the 1000Q's book is representative of the difficulty of the actual exam- the book is way too hard! Aside from medify I went over GCSEs bitesize and also went over GCSEs topics on mymaths. I also tried to do maths whenever I could, even if it was just little things like I'd add up prices of things mentally when shopping or work out how many hours/mins it would take to get somewhere if we were going at a set speed for a set distance etc.

Mainly I just tried to improve my mental maths speed which allowed me to spend more time to focus and understand the data in QR.

Best of luck with your UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    No worries. The only thing that was difficult about abstract was that there were lots of overlapping patterns on each set to form one big complex pattern: for example it wasn't just total sides=11, it was total sides=11 and then a fixed number of black shapes or circles etc. From medify, I got used to just looking for one single pattern and teaching myself to not over complicate it, but then it the real exam it was quite complicated and I just didn't have time to find all the patterns. I only managed to find a few partial patterns and then had to guess the rest. Also there were quite a few set A/set B questions that medify didn't have many of so I was a bit thrown by them.

As long as you manage to get a few partial patterns though you should be find, stick to whichever mnemonic you use (I used NSPC) and don't get stressed if you can't find a pattern just take a guess.
    Congrats on the great score! Did you only use medify to revise? and what does NSPC stand for?
    Thanks! !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Congrats on the great score! Did you only use medify to revise? and what does NSPC stand for?
    Thanks! !
    Thank you!

I used medify and the 1000Q's book- however I stopped using the 1000Q's book about a week ago as I don't think it is very representative of the difficulty of the questions in the actual exam- it's way too hard (especially in QR)!

NSPC stands for number, shape, position, colour- it's the mnemonic medify recommend using, I know some people use SCANS (shape, colour, angles, number, sides) but I found NSPC to work for the majority of patterns and is a lot quicker.

Best of luck with UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    Im so scared for AR. I never get more than 1 pattern in any set

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.