Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Half my week planned for next week and some files looking a bit more organised, slowly but surely!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else drowning in a sea of paperwork, trying to get standards files sorted out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Anyone else drowning in a sea of paperwork, trying to get standards files sorted out?
    Yep me, however I've been so lazy and ill that I feel guilty for not doing anything. My aim was one standard a day just feel as if ive over worked and it's going to take a while to get back to myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I wonder if I could have some advice? i'm starting a PGCE in September (Primary) and i'm maid of honour at my cousins wedding in Feb. Feb 1st which is a Sunday, but I was going to stay the night in the hotel there. Do you think I would a) be on placement b) if not do you think it would be possible to take this day off? :-/ xx

ReputationRep:
    No idea re placement dates, but I wouldn't expect you can take the Monday off.

You'll be able to manage things so you can enjoy the day and maybe even give yourself the Saturday free too, but even if you weren't on placement, I imagine university would frown on an absence for any reason other than illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Hi guys, I wonder if I could have some advice? i'm starting a PGCE in September (Primary) and i'm maid of honour at my cousins wedding in Feb. Feb 1st which is a Sunday, but I was going to stay the night in the hotel there. Do you think I would a) be on placement b) if not do you think it would be possible to take this day off? :-/ xx
    Of course you can! I missed days from uni and school for reasons other than illness. Don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably would be on placement then, depending on your uni. I started my second placement at the end of Jan this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will likely be on placement and no it isn't likely that you an take the Monday off.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I guess it really depends on the uni- I did think it would probably be difficult. I guess I can enjoy the first bit of the wedding at least! There is always sparkling water ;-)

ReputationRep:
    On my PGCE last year we were in university at the start of February, and it normally started at 9:30/10am. So if that was the case, you could probably stay over at the wedding and still make it to uni (unless it's a really long way away).

If you're in university you can probably get away with a day off anyway. They did track our attendance (we had sign-in sheets in the lectures) and I imagine that if you hardly ever turned up then questions would be asked, but if it's a one-off it would be OK.

If you're on placement, however, it's a definite no. You are expected to act professionally and as much like a real teacher as possible. A real teacher can't just take a day off like that (maybe a day off would be OK if the wedding was on a weekday and it was a close relative, if the head agreed to it) so you shouldn't either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    If you're on placement, however, it's a definite no. You are expected to act professionally and as much like a real teacher as possible. A real teacher can't just take a day off like that (maybe a day off would be OK if the wedding was on a weekday and it was a close relative, if the head agreed to it) so you shouldn't either.
    I think if she informs her mentor in advance her professionalism isn't diminished in any way. I did that during my training and my mentor was fine with it. The sticky point would be if you've just started a new placement school and haven't built that relationship with your mentor yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Qwerty_mad :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm with myrtille on this. Your placement reports on include your attendance record, and when you're applying for jobs they want to know that info.

Even if that wasn't the case, I just don't think that reflects well at all. Seems really unprofessional, especially as the wedding itself is actually on the weekend.

It's your decision at the end of the day, but I wouldn't have done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    I'm with myrtille on this. Your placement reports on include your attendance record, and when you're applying for jobs they want to know that info.

Even if that wasn't the case, I just don't think that reflects well at all. Seems really unprofessional, especially as the wedding itself is actually on the weekend.

It's your decision at the end of the day, but I wouldn't have done it.
    For the record, I'm not intending on doing it... and I certainly wouldn't do anything unprofessional. I've worked in a school for three years so understand professionalism. I just wanted to know if it is possible to take a day off if I happened to be in lectures instead of placement. I had already told my family that if I was on placement, I wouldn't be able to take time off. This thread has kind of made me feel terrible for even asking the question :-/ but I appreiciate the feedback from everyone! It has clarified it for me. :-)

Oh, also I should have put this to begin with. The only reason I thought about taking the Monday off is because it is three hours away from where I will be studying! Not just so I can drink a few.... maybe that is the way my question came across?

ReputationRep:
    People are scaremongering a bit on here to be honest.

If you tell your mentor it will be fine, though it will count as a day of absence - you're meant to have 120 days all together in schools on the PGCE but with pre placements and additional SEN placements you can afford to miss around 3-5 days though you should aim not to miss any unless it's really important. I've missed 2 days (both through illness) but with the 4 weeks pre placements I did and the SEN placements I've done I'll probably end up having spent about 140 odd days in a school.

If you were a proper teacher there'd be complications as you'd probably have near enough a full teaching day to cover for but as a trainee you'll probably have at most 2 lessons on that day at that stage of the course so it would be simple enough to give the cover work to the required teachers on that day.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, I'm not intending on doing it... and I certainly wouldn't do anything unprofessional. I've worked in a school for three years so understand professionalism. I just wanted to know if it is possible to take a day off if I happened to be in lectures instead of placement. I had already told my family that if I was on placement, I wouldn't be able to take time off. This thread has kind of made me feel terrible for even asking the question :-/ but I appreiciate the feedback from everyone! It has clarified it for me. :-)

Oh, also I should have put this to begin with. The only reason I thought about taking the Monday off is because it is three hours away from where I will be studying! Not just so I can drink a few.... maybe that is the way my question came across?
    Someone on my PGCE took a day off during lectures to go to a convention (non education related!) because it was pre-booked. If you have lectures I think it will be doable.

Obviously missing any time is not ideal but it is done and you have to work out your priorities and what you need. You might feel at the time that you don't want to miss time, but also you might feel like you'll be OK and maintaining healthy relationships outside of work is very important!

Also bear in mind your PPA time/whatever your uni will call it. At my uni we got the same amount of time out of the classroom as an NQT was, which adds up to a whole day altogether. Again, depending on your relationship with your mentor, the school itself etc you may be able to take the Monday morning as your non-contact time and come back for that afternoon. It's something that you probably won't be able to answer until nearer the time unfortunately, probably after Christmas at least.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Back for the final 12 days tomorrow! Even though I know it will go quick I'm really dreading it! I have enough material to get me through this week but next week is going to be a struggle (though my year 8 class will do an assessment if all goes to plan so that should take 2 lessons). I just need another 1 in one of my standards to come out as an outstanding trainee at the final review which is in 2 weeks so going to aim to really hit the behaviour, differentiation or assessment standard in this final run in but not bothered if I come out just as good really.

We've been given an NQT starter pack which we have to fill in for Uni and it then gets passed on to our mentor in September. All becoming very real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Someone on my PGCE took a day off during lectures to go to a convention (non education related!) because it was pre-booked. If you have lectures I think it will be doable.

Obviously missing any time is not ideal but it is done and you have to work out your priorities and what you need. You might feel at the time that you don't want to miss time, but also you might feel like you'll be OK and maintaining healthy relationships outside of work is very important!

Also bear in mind your PPA time/whatever your uni will call it. At my uni we got the same amount of time out of the classroom as an NQT was, which adds up to a whole day altogether. Again, depending on your relationship with your mentor, the school itself etc you may be able to take the Monday morning as your non-contact time and come back for that afternoon. It's something that you probably won't be able to answer until nearer the time unfortunately, probably after Christmas at least.

xxx
    Thanks so much for your advice! Some really useful stuff to think about. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    People are scaremongering a bit on here to be honest.

If you tell your mentor it will be fine, though it will count as a day of absence - you're meant to have 120 days all together in schools on the PGCE but with pre placements and additional SEN placements you can afford to miss around 3-5 days though you should aim not to miss any unless it's really important. I've missed 2 days (both through illness) but with the 4 weeks pre placements I did and the SEN placements I've done I'll probably end up having spent about 140 odd days in a school.

If you were a proper teacher there'd be complications as you'd probably have near enough a full teaching day to cover for but as a trainee you'll probably have at most 2 lessons on that day at that stage of the course so it would be simple enough to give the cover work to the required teachers on that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Half my week planned for next week and some files looking a bit more organised, slowly but surely!
    Hey there I'm currently in year 11 shall be starting sixth form in September I'm really keen on doing a degree in secondary education with maths to become a maths teacher... What would u reccomend I do in terms of trying to boost my chances of a successfully application... I should be doing a weeks work experience in a primary school soon but what else would u recommend any advice would be great... Thanks !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.