Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

Giants +3
      Cruz anytime TD
      Bradshaw UNDER 62.5 rushing yards

Evens at best (and 11/10 on Cruz) on the bets above but I don't see the logic in throwing away money on guise like Ochocinco or a coin toss. Though I do keep getting the urge to bet on meaningless props.

Thinking of putting some money on Giants to score first and over 6.5 total TDs but I'm not sure. :bandit:

Seahawks to lift the Lombardi trophy next year. :smug:

ReputationRep:
      MvP - BRADY BRADY BRADY

ReputationRep:
      My bets:

First TD Jacobs @ 12/1

MVP Hernandez @ 20/1
      MVP Jean-Pierre Paul @ 50/1

ReputationRep:
      I'm going to look for a dummies guide to American Football. May as well watch it tonight, as I've never before.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stevo112)
      Probably... I'm new to this nfl lark.

My reasoning (whether correct or not!) was that ridley was dropped for 2 games previously for a fumble. I think this is a big game for him, and he is out to prove something.

But then again i'm not sure how the MVP is determined... Does it rely on the superbowl only or the whole season? If the whole season, i'm truly ****ed.
      Only on the Super Bowl. But he won't have the chance to be redeem himself as he will barely get the ball. He is the 3rd running back, and other non-running backs will probably run with the ball more.

Saying that, he may have an impact on special teams. But him getting MVP for special teams play would require a very big kick return TD. Only 1 special teams players has ever won MVP.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OxfordGoBrach)
      Marginally the Giants are favourites according to a lot of people, but it's pretty close as you can't ever count out the Patriots.

I still think the Pats will win though, as no huddling and Brady getting the ball away quickly to Welker/Hernandez/Gronkowski (if fit) or a RB on short routes should somewhat neutralise the Giants' impressive pass rush. The bigger question is how well will the Giants offense do against the Pats defense. I think the Pats' defense is better than it was in the regular season and Bellichick as a defensive mind will scheme well and have prepared them well, plus I've heard the player lining up against Wilfork isn't the Giants' regular starter, so that could be a problem for New York and Eli Manning particularly there.

I really really hope I'm wrong though and that it'll turn out that what I've said is utter rubbish. Cmon Giants!
      Betting wise, I think the Pats are actually favourites (well in the UK at least). Agree with everything you say though.

But I'm a pats fan

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fudgesundae)
      Only on the Super Bowl. But he won't have the chance to be redeem himself as he will barely get the ball. He is the 3rd running back, and other non-running backs will probably run with the ball more.

Saying that, he may have an impact on special teams. But him getting MVP for special teams play would require a very big kick return TD. Only 1 special teams players has ever won MVP.
      Who knows, gotta speculate to accumulate I will just have to do 2 hours of overtime in work to cover my idiocy

ReputationRep:
      Betting wise, I think the Pats are actually favourites (well in the UK at least). Agree with everything you say though.

But I'm a pats fan
      Ah right, well I'm just going off what I've seen from fans on a US forum I look at and reading/watching some of the stuff on NFL.com. It's very close though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JulietAlphaGolf)
      MVP - Aaron Rodgers
      Fixed! It's very likely he could end up with the Superbowl MVPaward though as i'm sure you actually meant, yeah.

ReputationRep:
      New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will be active for Sunday's Super Bowl, according to the list of inactive players posted on the team's official Twitter feed.

Neither Gronkowski nor receiver Chad Ochocinco are on the list, meaning they will be active for the game.

NFL Network's Alex Flanagan had been told by Patriots coach Bill Belichick earlier in the day that Gronkowski would definitely play.

Running back Kevin Faulk, who has played in four previous Super Bowls with the team, is listed as inactive.

Linebacker Mark Herzlich is among the inactive players listed by the New York Giants, according to team spokesman Pat Hanlon.
      - NFL.com

Good news for Pats fans, unfortunately for me, Gronk plays!

ReputationRep:
      Fixed! It's very likely he could end up with the Superbowl MVPaward though as i'm sure you actually meant, yeah.
      Whilst league MVP is brilliant, I reckon Rodgers would give it all up to be playing tonight and having a chance to be Super Bowl MVP again.

ReputationRep:
      Whilst league MVP is brilliant, I reckon Rodgers would give it all up to be playing tonight and having a chance to be Super Bowl MVP again.
      Sure, I agree. But regardless of who wins tonight, I still think he's better than both QBs right now. I'd rather have him on my team than anyone else. Not that that could ever happen with the Dolphins. Such as is our luck since Marino retired, we seem unable to get that kind of star QB which is vital nowadays.

ReputationRep:
      I've placed a couple of bets.. 4/1 for NY giants to win by a margin of up to 7 points.. and for either Ellis or Gronkowski to score the first touchdown . Just a couple of quid here and there

ReputationRep:
      Sure, I agree. But regardless of who wins tonight, I still think he's better than both QBs right now. I'd rather have him on my team than anyone else. Not that that could ever happen with the Dolphins. Such as is our luck since Marino retired, we seem unable to get that kind of star QB which is vital nowadays.
      Really? Even after what Matt Flynn did?

I don't think he could carry a team like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

ReputationRep:
      Really? Even after what Matt Flynn did?
      What are you asking? Would I rather have Rodgers or Flynn on the Dolphins (basically, is Flynn better?) or are you asking if I think the Phins can get Flynn?

ReputationRep:
      What are you asking? Would I rather have Rodgers or Flynn on the Dolphins (basically, is Flynn better?) or are you asking if I think the Phins can get Flynn?
      I mean after Flynn came and in and did what he did for the Packers in one game. Devaluing Rodgers achievements a little bit IMO.

I just don't think he could carry a team like Manning or Brady.

ReputationRep:
      I mean after Flynn came and in and did what he did for the Packers in one game. Devaluing Rodgers achievements a little bit IMO.

I just don't think he could carry a team like Manning or Brady.
      I don't think it takes anything away from Rodgers at all to be honest, he had an exceptionally high QB rating all year and regardless of the system, he got the wins and the stats are impressive. I don't know, to be fair it was one game at the end of the season

Plus, Brady's first 3 SB seasons weren't exactly him carrying the team either. He had a top 3 defense for a few years. Brady grew into the role over time, and I see no reason why Rodgers can't/isn't growing into that kind of player now. I rate Peyton Manning possibly the most out of any QB ever (hard for me to say as I think Marino would get about 6000 yards today if you had today's rules back then). The guy carried the team from day one - as did Marino, but Manning has the ring, a lot of career wins and brilliant stats every single year he played - more consistent in my view than Brady over the years as an individual player. Without him they were awful. Without Brady, they've done ok in the past, though they might not again if Ryan Mallett waiting in the wings doesn't develop right.

I'd prefer Manning (if healthy) in Miami to Flynn (a free agent coming up) obviously, but I imagine we'll consider him as we have the Packers OC Joe Philbin in as Head Coach, so he knows him well. If Flynn came and we gave him a good system in the West Coast Offense like Green Bay have, he could thrive too. There's potential there, but it was just one game so I'm not getting overexcited.

ReputationRep:
      Hey guys, I know it's a bit of a crappy question, but what time does the game kick off UK time?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rural_boy)
      Hey guys, I know it's a bit of a crappy question, but what time does the game kick off UK time?
      No problem, the coverage on BBC just started but the game begins in about 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rural_boy)
      11.29(in theory)

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.