Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    Ditto with getting the e-mail address. On that note:

http://ox.ac.uk/applications/contact...find_email.y=8

Yea...the third-last contact should give you full assurance of your new college-mate. For all those who already got their e-mail addresses, try searching your names on that search function.
    For some reason it feels good to know that my email is on the oxford website

Makes it seem strangely real when you're publicly listed on the main site =S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fang_RedDragon)
    WTF? No fair! I hope that we do have cool stuff but that its being hidden away on the totally-evil-social-networking-site-that-shall-not-be-named, which I don't have. Anybody wanna go sneak around for me and bring it back and post it on here? Cmon, be my net-ninja! Pleeeeeeeeease??

(Keble College)
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/

Plenty of free Bibles on there.

ReputationRep:
    I just received an email from Student Information telling me about registration. I'm guessing this is a generic email as I have not yet received my login details. Or does this email mean that I should have received information regarding my login details and I need to hunt them down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muddybike)
    I just received an email from Student Information telling me about registration. I'm guessing this is a generic email as I have not yet received my login details. Or does this email mean that I should have received information regarding my login details and I need to hunt them down?
    For Merton we can only register once we've returned the contracts and stuff, but since I haven't been able to do that yet I don't know what the process looks like. From what I've heard the different systems seem to run at different speeds, so it might be they're just badly coordinated and you'll receive login details soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    For Merton we can only register once we've returned the contracts and stuff, but since I haven't been able to do that yet I don't know what the process looks like. From what I've heard the different systems seem to run at different speeds, so it might be they're just badly coordinated and you'll receive login details soon.
    Thanks. I thought I might as well check but I assumed it was due to a lack of coordination somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Back to school tends to be school-uniformesque things, I think. White shirt, school (or other schoolish) tie?
    yeah, I was thinking the same, but it seems slightly bland for a bop, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeeNinja)
    yeah, I was thinking the same, but it seems slightly bland for a bop, don't you think?
    I think you're allowed to have shirts untucked and top buttons undone for the bop, though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeeNinja)
    Go as something completely ridiculous, it'll be more appreciated. Like a calculator or a school dinner.

ReputationRep:
    HI chaps

Regarding the dinner suit/dj it's a must have,the majority of the colleges require you to wear black tie,well whilst I was studying at Oxford we had to have one. My father kindly offered to by me a tailored one as in his words if your going to use it all the time you might as well get something of good quality. So I found this tailor in London and had one made by them for 900! but still have it today and still use it for function I have to attend.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematicians: Algebra Exercises 2, problem 3i - any ideas? I just multiplied out A^5, but that's just got me a page of ridiculous algebra which looks distinctly unsolvable (or maybe I'm just too lazy to solve 4 simultaneous equations, each of which is too long to fit on a single line).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually bought their gown etc yet? Shepherd and Woodward have a package offer online for £25 (gown, mortarboard, bow tie/ribbon) reduced from £40. This sounds like a really good deal, tempted to go for it now to get buying it out of the way, was just wondering whether anyone else has purchased this yet from Shepherd&Woodward? I was a bit worried that as it's so cheap the quality might not be great...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mai-)
    Has anyone actually bought their gown etc yet? Shepherd and Woodward have a package offer online for £25 (gown, mortarboard, bow tie/ribbon) reduced from £40. This sounds like a really good deal, tempted to go for it now to get buying it out of the way, was just wondering whether anyone else has purchased this yet from Shepherd&Woodward? I was a bit worried that as it's so cheap the quality might not be great...
    The options are basically the £25 deal, which three companies do identically (they seem to trade under three names, but sell the same stuff, down to using the same photos on their websites), a slightly more expensive deal on the OU shop (someone here said the quality on that's terrible though), and Ede & Ravenscroft, who don't sell undergrad gowns online, but have a shop in Oxford (I'd assume they're more expensive but good quality). Despite getting a bit fanatical over the topic I'm going to have to wait until I get to Oxford, since I'm only in the country four days before I go up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    That's what ours is at Queen's. I actually can't think of anything beginning with M though - except 'magnet', and I don't think wearing a red hoodie and blue jeans would be putting enough effort in
    http://www.fancydresspanda.co.uk/cos...FZQMfAodDl-43A

http://www.partypants.fsnet.co.uk/fa...ancy-dress.htm

These might help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mai-)
    Shepherd and Woodward are probably the best, I ordered mine from there before I came up and it's still intact so... Also better to get it before you come up to save yourself any panic.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the internet. Yes, getting a few ideas now, thanks!
    erm how did you put the logos on your sig?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mai-)
    Everyone gets it from S&W, it's perfectly fine and should see you through no problem. They're very nice about sorting you out with all the stuff too, you can tell they do it a lot

That's a brilliant site, I am so using it next year!

That's what ours is at Queen's. I actually can't think of anything beginning with M though - except 'magnet', and I don't think wearing a red hoodie and blue jeans would be putting enough effort in
    Well in our fresher's Entz a guy memorably dressed up as 'Madonna', but knowing how that went I am definitely not advising it...

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure that all the gowns are the same quality. I've got mine and I love it; I've been wearing it around the house and done the washing-up in it just for the sake of it. I'm wearing the mortar board now actually ...

The options are basically the £25 deal, which three companies do identically (they seem to trade under three names, but sell the same stuff, down to using the same photos on their websites), a slightly more expensive deal on the OU shop (someone here said the quality on that's terrible though), and Ede & Ravenscroft, who don't sell undergrad gowns online, but have a shop in Oxford (I'd assume they're more expensive but good quality). Despite getting a bit fanatical over the topic I'm going to have to wait until I get to Oxford, since I'm only in the country four days before I go up anyway.
    Thanks for the help guys I'll definitely go ahead and buy from Shepherd &Woodward then
    Nag o ma Scylla, I will be doing the same as you shortly! (though I am probably a bit too nervous to try on the mortar board :P )

Thank you so much for posting these links! My name begins with an M too, only thing I'd thought of previously was 'meerkat', and I'd had suggestions for Mad Hatter and Marge Simpson from family members! So tempted to get a Mario outfit...

ReputationRep:
    No worries guys, they were just the first couple of websites google provided me with after searching "fancy dress costumes beginning with [insert letter here]" plus now if I ever have a fancy dress bop like that then I now know I'm going as a flamenco dancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahbroad)
    Go as something completely ridiculous, it'll be more appreciated. Like a calculator or a school dinner.
    School bus it is! yeah! http://www.ehow.com/how_7795334_make...s-costume.html

ReputationRep:
    Beats slutty schoolgirl anyhow. Plus people remember bop outfits so at least it'll stand out...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.