Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MATHSPOW!!)
    Hey there I'm currently in year 11 shall be starting sixth form in September I'm really keen on doing a degree in secondary education with maths to become a maths teacher... What would u reccomend I do in terms of trying to boost my chances of a successfully application... I should be doing a weeks work experience in a primary school soon but what else would u recommend any advice would be great... Thanks !
    At the risk of being facetious, all you need to do is just keep on breathing. However, I'd do a straight maths degree instead. Keep your options open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    At the risk of being facetious, all you need to do is just keep on breathing. However, I'd do a straight maths degree instead. Keep your options open.
    But the uni that does this course Canterbury Christ Church is really nearby to me and it seems like such a good way to get into this career in like 3 years rather than doing a degree then pgce... Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    But the uni that does this course Canterbury Christ Church is really nearby to me and it seems like such a good way to get into this career in like 3 years rather than doing a degree then pgce... Hmmm
    Choosing a university on the basis of it being near your house is not a recommended strategy, especially when it's not a good university.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there I'm currently in year 11 shall be starting sixth form in September I'm really keen on doing a degree in secondary education with maths to become a maths teacher... What would u reccomend I do in terms of trying to boost my chances of a successfully application... I should be doing a weeks work experience in a primary school soon but what else would u recommend any advice would be great... Thanks !
    Hi there, I think it is really good that you are already thinking about your future. I think that getting some experience in a school is a wise move if you have the time.

Does your school of a buddy/mentor scheme? If not maybe you could volunteer to set one up and work with year seven? I used to be a reading buddy when I was in sixth form and it helped with my application later on.

I do think that doing an education degree is good- if you are 100% sure you want to teach. However, I knew I wanted to be a primary teacher from sixth form, but I took a year out as a teaching assistant to check I was sure. I was offered the opportunity to do the education degree, but instead decided to do an BA degree in Ancient history and Archeology to keep my options open. I think to qualify at 21 as a teacher, especially a secondary school one is hard. Your won't be much older then the sixth form, and so by doing a PGCE instead you have that extra year to mature.

However, it is your choice! I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing a university if it is close to you. I did the same thing for my undergrad degree. Good luck with your future. Oh one final note- work hard with your A-levels. That is your priority right now! x

ReputationRep:
    Choosing a university on the basis of it being near your house is not a recommended strategy, especially when it's not a good university.
    Canterbury is renowned for it's teaching courses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Hi there, I think it is really good that you are already thinking about your future. I think that getting some experience in a school is a wise move if you have the time.

Does your school of a buddy/mentor scheme? If not maybe you could volunteer to set one up and work with year seven? I used to be a reading buddy when I was in sixth form and it helped with my application later on.

I do think that doing an education degree is good- if you are 100% sure you want to teach. However, I knew I wanted to be a primary teacher from sixth form, but I took a year out as a teaching assistant to check I was sure. I was offered the opportunity to do the education degree, but instead decided to do an BA degree in Ancient history and Archeology to keep my options open. I think to qualify at 21 as a teacher, especially a secondary school one is hard. Your won't be much older then the sixth form, and so by doing a PGCE instead you have that extra year to mature.

However, it is your choice! I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing a university if it is close to you. I did the same thing for my undergrad degree. Good luck with your future. Oh one final note- work hard with your A-levels. That is your priority right now! x
    The course is Secondary education with Mathematics with QTS, so you spend the first year studying degree level maths and then the last two carrying out placements ect... So it's kinda like a PGCE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)

I read that the sixth form I'm going to has a maths homework club and so I'm going to try and volunteer to help out with that as I think that would look good...

ReputationRep:
    Canterbury is renowned for it's teaching courses...
    It is nowhere near as good as doing a straight maths degree from a respectable redbrick university. You would be unlikely to be short-listed at the school where I teach.

ReputationRep:
    You're not even in 6th form yet so I wouldn't worry at all just yet (though it's good you are thinking of your future - I didn't know I wanted to be a teacher until 2nd year of Uni).

It's hard to say what the teacher training routes will look like in 3 years time or so, the PGCE as we know it is starting to be phased out and it looks like Schools Direct will usurp it. I don't know too much about Schools Direct so someone else could fill you in there.

In terms of boosting your application when the time comes I can only echo what others have said - get experience in schools observing teachers once you finish A level, if you can do anything else like helping pupils with their maths while you are at school yourself then that can only be a good thing as well. Your A levels should be your priority though and if you dream of being a Maths teacher then do a maths degree, enjoy being a student but work hard as well, get a first and you will have a 20,000 pound bursary

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    You're not even in 6th form yet so I wouldn't worry at all just yet (though it's good you are thinking of your future - I didn't know I wanted to be a teacher until 2nd year of Uni).

It's hard to say what the teacher training routes will look like in 3 years time or so, the PGCE as we know it is starting to be phased out and it looks like Schools Direct will usurp it. I don't know too much about Schools Direct so someone else could fill you in there.

In terms of boosting your application when the time comes I can only echo what others have said - get experience in schools observing teachers once you finish A level, if you can do anything else like helping pupils with their maths while you are at school yourself then that can only be a good thing as well. Your A levels should be your priority though and if you dream of being a Maths teacher then do a maths degree, enjoy being a student but work hard as well, get a first and you will have a 20,000 pound bursary

Good luck.
    20,000 sounds pretty nice.

ReputationRep:
    Back for the final 12 days tomorrow! Even though I know it will go quick I'm really dreading it! I have enough material to get me through this week but next week is going to be a struggle (though my year 8 class will do an assessment if all goes to plan so that should take 2 lessons). I just need another 1 in one of my standards to come out as an outstanding trainee at the final review which is in 2 weeks so going to aim to really hit the behaviour, differentiation or assessment standard in this final run in but not bothered if I come out just as good really.

We've been given an NQT starter pack which we have to fill in for Uni and it then gets passed on to our mentor in September. All becoming very real.
    Which standard do you think you're gonna focus on?

I'd go for differentiation or assessment, behaviour is ALWAYS hard! Assessment you could show very effectively as you could record things in tables and write on your plans where you've used assessment. But also diffn. is obviously easy to show in plans and annotate when you change it as you go.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    It is nowhere near as good as doing a straight maths degree from a respectable redbrick university. You would be unlikely to be short-listed at the school where I teach.
    I agree with this you are much better doing a maths degree and then going into teaching, it will benefit you in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    20,000 sounds pretty nice.
    Best in mind that the bursaries for postgraduate teacher training change every year so this isn't by any means guarenteed to be the amount you get. But I would echo the other advice you've been given. Do a maths degree first and gain a solid knowledge and understanding of your subject. If, in a few years, you don't want to teach anymore then you can do many other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Which standard do you think you're gonna focus on?

I'd go for differentiation or assessment, behaviour is ALWAYS hard! Assessment you could show very effectively as you could record things in tables and write on your plans where you've used assessment. But also diffn. is obviously easy to show in plans and annotate when you change it as you go.

xxx
    Thing is, I've focused on differentiation loads this year and had it as my observed focus countless times, I've had a few 2s for it but never a one. Behaviour I got a 1 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping that my mentor might push this standard up to a 1 at the final review.

I'll probably focus on assessment and use things like DIRT time and assessment feedback to try and push that standard up.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I've focused on differentiation loads this year and had it as my observed focus countless times, I've had a few 2s for it but never a one. Behaviour I got a 1 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping that my mentor might push this standard up to a 1 at the final review.

I'll probably focus on assessment and use things like DIRT time and assessment feedback to try and push that standard up.
    Your course seems so organised, lol. I've never been told a specific focus for any of my observations, and my final grades are just based on the general opinions of my mentor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Best in mind that the bursaries for postgraduate teacher training change every year so this isn't by any means guarenteed to be the amount you get. But I would echo the other advice you've been given. Do a maths degree first and gain a solid knowledge and understanding of your subject. If, in a few years, you don't want to teach anymore then you can do many other things.
    By the time I come to apply to uni I guess then I can make my mind up haha

ReputationRep:

Ah well if you're on the way with behaviour that's maybe the way to go, or assessment like you say. I guess it depends a lot on how much this depends on final observations, and how much on ongoing evidence etc.

Well good luck with whichever you choose

ReputationRep:
    5 days of enrichment and 2 days at uni left. Then I'm done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    5 days of enrichment and 2 days at uni left. Then I'm done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Similar here. 5 days at school, one or two at uni next week and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Manic return after half term - the usual teacher wasn't in for my year 8 class so I took them with a supply teacher in the room and they were just nothing like they usually are. To be fair it was last lesson and my lesson wasn't the greatest it could have been but I had rudeness, silliness, had to move one girl and even those that I can always rely on started to be a bit chatty.

11 days and counting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.