Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Where's your sense of risk?
    I've already exhausted it. Bricking it is no longer an appropriate term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I've already exhausted it. Bricking it is no longer an appropriate term.
    How long have you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Oh God.
    ?

(Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    Which medical school do you go to?

Is it common for people to have no timetable? I am SO JEALOUS!!

In Peninsula 3rd and 4th year we have a ridiculously over complicated timetable. We have stupid weeks called e.g. 'Chest Pain' or 'Abdo Pain' and then have a selection of placements based around that e.g. for abdo pain, there was half a day in A&E, half a day in general surgery, half a day in the early pregnancy unit, and assessment of GI exam and case presentation. I hate all the restrictions they put on us, we never get to know anyone or any ward. By far the best experiences I have had have been when I have gone to the ward in my own time, found an enthusiastic doctor, and hung around with them for a bit. SSUs are also really good, because you get to stay with one team for 3 weeks, and just see what they do. No 'academic day', no rushing off to another department to learn about some 'service' that won't exist by the time we graduate. I really haven't appreciated the way they overcomplicate everything this year. I can't wait till 5th year, I think finally then we just get attached to a team with no timetable.
    Leicester medical school

Well we're full time in clinical attachments now. We still have an odd lecture or two a week but the rest of the time each clinical pair is attached to a consultant so we just do what they do (luckily this block me and my clinical partner got our own consultant which makes life a lot easier). My consultant atm has no inpatients so that leaves me plenty of time to sit in with hepatology consultants and nephrology etc as med school has decided to put gastroenterology, renal and endocrinology all in this same block leading to mental chaos for me as I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of renal medicine. But its all good have managed to see quite a bit of renal medicine so far! I've been in a lot of endoscopy and outpatients which I feel quite helpful as on the wards the registrars are a bit too busy to teach properly but its a lot more relaxed in outpatients. Am on the gastroenterology ward all of this week though *happy*

Hmm thats a bit odd they do things like 'chest pain' etc rather than attach you to a speciality in Medicine, I imagine there's a lot of cross over in illnesses though such as patients with back pain and abdo pain etc

ReputationRep:
    I feel physically sick about an exam in a couple of days. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    ?

If i had no timetable i'd spend the entire time in bed.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Musty_Elbow)
    I feel physically sick about an exam in a couple of days. Anyone else?
    Yep! Tomorrow, Weds and Fri :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I have really like the preclinical years actually, like a 'proper' university experience rather than clinics where I think it will be a bit more restricted (was for my 3 weeks this year although I really enjoyed my on call stuff and would happily do it more). I also fear not utilising my time well...

I think I am insane for getting myself treasurer for one of the biggest uni societies when I won't be at main campus alot. Huzzah for online banking! I will be running around like a madman next year. Particularly if I try and ram yachting in there too....well you only go to uni once....

Really liking these few weeks to far. Not looking forward to paper writing...
    Haha, I'm events rep for our Medsoc. Only over 1200 people to show a good time to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Yep! Tomorrow, Weds and Fri :eek:
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    :hide:
    Bless. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Bless. :p:
    Cute, ain't it?

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to put a little plug for St George's National Plastic Surgery Day. We still have small number of places up for grabs.

it's going to be held next Saturday 21st May and will consist of a day of lectures and an afternoon or workshops in Aesthetic suturing, tendon repair, local flap design and burns management.

Just go to http://www.sgsu.org.uk/socs/society/ois/plasticsday/ for more info and a copy of the application form

Thankooo

ReputationRep:
    ****in
    progress test. what are you?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid progress test this morning. :sigh:
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Good luck!!
    Thank you! You too are your exams this week too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    **** me theres alot of stuff in 3rd year! Time to just crack on methinks. Its just a big step up from preclins, now, the skills you pick up and the cases you see arn't for someone elses' benifit, they're to add to your own experience. The benifit I guess might be down the line with a sickie. Oh to be a fresher again.
    Don't say that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billet-doux)
    Thank you! You too are your exams this week too?
    I've got my OSCE on Wednesday, they're running throughout the week for the year group; then next monday, weds and friday are the written papers. The fear is certainly here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Haha, I'm events rep for our Medsoc. Only over 1200 people to show a good time to
    Good luck mine isn't quite that big (300 so not bad :P)

My fear is being responsible for the pay of some truly terrifying Russians and Eastern European instructors now that the union wants us to stop using cheques... If I disappear without reason...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    Ah that sounds good! Do you know any more specifics? You seem to be really up on what the plans are for improving the course, I'm really impressed. Are you involved with student parliament?

I'm really unsure what I think about PMS overall, I do really enjoy it here and I think there are many, many great things about the course, but there are also a lot of big things I have problems with.
    No, not on student parliament - no time for that. We just had our plenary attendance lecture (to which the lecturer was 30 mins late) and it was covered in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaz_197)
    Just wanted to put a little plug for St George's National Plastic Surgery Day. We still have small number of places up for grabs.

it's going to be held next Saturday 21st May and will consist of a day of lectures and an afternoon or workshops in Aesthetic suturing, tendon repair, local flap design and burns management.

Just go to http://www.sgsu.org.uk/socs/society/ois/plasticsday/ for more info and a copy of the application form

Thankooo
    Omg that looks really good. Wish I could go but have a compulsory first aid course that day.
    lame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    If i had no timetable i'd spend the entire time in bed.
    Hehe you'd think a lot of people would do so but no one does, I guess you realise its your learning and however much clinical exposure you put yourself in, is going to be beneficial to your learning alone. (Although when you do mental health - you waste so much time doing nothing at all. Once I was in from 9 to 5 and saw one patient the entire day wish I had just had a lie in on most days back then)

My hayfever has gotten so bad it only came on last year and now I have to take antihistamines daily gah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.