Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    ...Well...I like to think I fall into several of those categories (or will at the time I wish to emigrate) :mmm: I fully intend to gain a Ph.D/D.Phil (same thing) :lol:

Well Canada it is then :lol: (I don't know if moving there is any easier, that was a joke, although I do want to move to Canada )
    Canada is currently under-populated -compared to their land mass - so they are aggresively promoting immigration, especially within the highly sought after professions.

Gah, I sound like a spokesperson for Canada

ReputationRep:
    Schools getting more and more emotional as the days come to an end. :/

On a high note... The sociology exam was so easy. I was actually confused and thought they gave us a past paper. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    My Uncle and Aunt moved to Canada before moving to the US...perhaps you could go down that route?

I'll just be moving to Hong Kong. I'm going to see if I can get a US green card though.
    Through the DV lottery, marriage or employment? If your immediate family - i.e. not cousins, uncles, or aunts - are citizens/green card holders you can get them to sponsor you.

ReputationRep:
    Glad GCSE German is out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Through the DV lottery, marriage or employment? If your immediate family - i.e. not cousins, uncles, or aunts - are citizens/green card holders you can get them to sponsor you.
    Marriage it is.... Just need to find the taylor swift singing bugger now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    random question..But, if in an exam the question says:
    Give 1 reason why ....etc
    What happens if you put 2 reasons, but they're both correct? Or if you put 2 reasons and the first is wrong/not mentioned on the mark scheme, but the second is correct?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Likely through the DV lottery. Green Card isn't a priority for me as Hong Kong has the likes of Jane Street Capital, speaks Cantonese (:woo:) and have excellent ties with the mainland.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jina)
    Marriage it is.... Just need to find the taylor swift singing bugger now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha yeah!. Don't forget to check your snail mail, you never know what surprise might be there
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Unlikely through the DV lottery. Green Card isn't a priority for me as Hong Kong has the likes of Jane Street Capital, speaks Cantonese (:woo:) and have excellent ties with the mainland.
    ^ There you go! Seriously though, the odds are not great. I've been doing it for 3 years and still nada

EDIT: Do you speak Mandarin as well? Hong Kong is awesmazing! I lived there for a year when I was younger.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ^ There you go! Seriously though, the odds are not great. I've been doing it for 3 years and still nada
    Which is why I'd go through the lottery anyway?

Like I said, it's not of much importance. It'll just be nice to have.

If I wanted to move permanently to the United States, I'd look to pursue employment or marriage (you never know ) sponsorship but Hong Kong is more suited to how I want to operate. (Urban lifestyle, huge connections to mainland for family and friends, Asian markets which are traditionally more volatile, access to the world's most resourceful continent etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Aww... I wish my school was like that so it would be easier to leave. :/ my form tutor is so cute he took pictures of us secretly and made a video and everyone teared up... Girls schools are too emotional... Hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww that's so sweet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Aww... I wish my school was like that so it would be easier to leave. :/ my form tutor is so cute he took pictures of us secretly and made a video and everyone teared up... Girls schools are too emotional... Hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what my teacher did in Year 6... he expected all of us to cry but only 1 person ended up crying

ReputationRep:
    Wish I learnt how to sing when I was younger/could sing naturally :c

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Which is why I'd go through the lottery anyway?

Like I said, it's not of much importance. It'll just be nice to have.

If I wanted to move permanently to the United States, I'd look to pursue employment or marriage (you never know ) sponsorship but Hong Kong is more suited to how I want to operate. (Urban lifestyle, huge connections to mainland for family and friends, Asian markets which are traditionally more volatile, access to the world's most resourceful continent etc.)
    Check out my edit.

What about Tokyo or Singapore? I've made a thorough list of cities I want to live in throughout my career - I know, I know. I've always wanted to live like my dad did; travelling to a new city every 3 - 6 years, learning new customs and languages, making use of the opportunities within emerging markets etc..

I can post my list if you want? (I have lists for literally everything it's insane)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    EDIT: Do you speak Mandarin as well? Hong Kong is awesmazing! I lived there for a year when I was younger.
    My intention is to learn how to write simplified Chinese and as much of Mandarin as possible whilst I'm studying at University (i.e. It'll take up the time not occupied with devising an investment strategy)

ReputationRep:
    My intention is to learn how to write simplified Chinese and as much of Mandarin as possible whilst I'm studying at University (i.e. It'll take up the time not occupied with devising an investment strategy)
    Do you speak Cantonese?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Check out my edit.

What about Tokyo or Singapore? I've made a thorough list of cities I want to live in throughout my career - I know, I know. I've always wanted to live like my dad did; travelling to a new city every 3 - 6 years, learning new customs and languages, making use of the opportunities within emerging markets etc..

I can post my list if you want? (I have lists for literally everything it's insane)
    See my reply

Tokyo - Nope for political reasons as well as my lack of knowledge of the stock market there. Singapore - Nope for lack of any prominent Propietary Trading firms having an office there, nor would I have any connections.

Yeah, let's have a look! Post the list of firms you're looking at joining as well.

(Original post by Meliss)
    Do you speak Cantonese?
    The most awesome, epic dialect in China? Yes, I do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Meliss)
    Wish I learnt how to sing when I was younger/could sing naturally :c

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You still can because if you didn't know, everyone can sing. :ninja: I could teach you

It's really down to your breathing technique and awareness of your range.

ReputationRep:
    this is quite random, but basically in the future i would like to go travelling (im year 11) and thinking about it i don't seem to have any time until i graduate fro uni, id like to go to uni and not take a gap year, is there anyway i could fit travelling anytime during the sixth form/uni period? or do i basically just have to wait till the end of uni?

ReputationRep:
    In a tiz, how do you know the position of an image from a lens? I've only just got my head around real and virtual images

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.