Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Poor Rafa... As a Federer fan, I can empathise with his fans. He too is done winning slams. He will be out of top 10 from next week. Hopefully Federer gets Nadal in R4 at Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    That half-volley by Djokovic :sogood:
    Just shows how good you have to be to win a point against Rafa!

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic's toughest match will be against Murray or Wawrinka.

ReputationRep:
    come on nadal...

ReputationRep:
    This has been such an anti-climax. Even speaking from personal bias, I don't think Djokovic has been unstoppable today, and Rafa contributed very much to the crucial break in the second set. Both of them have been very nervous, but Rafa moreso, and that's made the difference as his shots are landing short and Djokovic is getting so many put aways.

ReputationRep:
    I've said this before and I say this again.... If Rafa is to have a successful career into his 30s like Federer, he has to improve his serve and be more aggressive. There is no point standing 20 feet behind the baseline anymore. Stand closer to the baseline and dictate the rallies, be more aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wont to agree with that. Rafa is still strong and is still capable of hitting winners from any where, but he can't keep grinding out wins all the time. I literally cannot understand why he dropped his 130mph+ serve of the USO/Winter 2010 - he played one match in Tokyo where he hit over 20 aces, which is totally unheard of for him. He needs free points by developing a flatter, ace producing serve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    I'm wont to agree with that. Rafa is still strong and is still capable of hitting winners from any where, but he can't keep grinding out wins all the time. I literally cannot understand why he dropped his 130mph+ serve of the USO/Winter 2010 - he played one match in Tokyo where he hit over 20 aces, which is totally unheard of for him. He needs free points by developing a flatter, ace producing serve.
    Apparently, he didn't like the faster serve because the return came back too quickly to him and he wasn't in a good position to hit his next shot.

ReputationRep:
    And Djokovic wins. Well done to him.

ReputationRep:
    So happy for Djokovic! So deserved and I hope this is his year to win RG!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Apparently, he didn't like the faster serve because the return came back too quickly to him and he wasn't in a good position to hit his next shot.
    Ah that's interesting, didn't know that. Surely he should have just appreciated that's the risk you take with a faster serve though, and that the benefit of free points in his career far outweighs the drawbacks. That's Rafa I guess, he's been great at adapting his game over the years, but not willing to change it because of stubborness. He literally has nothing to lose now.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to Djokovic and fans, he fully deserved it today.

As for me, my allegiances now switch to Stan the man.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's interesting, didn't know that. Surely he should have just appreciated that's the risk you take with a faster serve though, and that the benefit of free points in his career far outweighs the drawbacks. That's Rafa I guess, he's been great at adapting his game over the years, but not willing to change it because of stubborness. He literally has nothing to lose now.
    I agree. He has to go back to his faster serve now. I don't think he has any other option.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to Djokovic and fans, he fully deserved it today.

As for me, my allegiances now switch to Stan the man.
    Yeah despite the win in all honesty players like Murray and Wawrinka will be a far greater test than 2015 Nadal so Djokovic hasn't won this yet. The good thing for him is that he hasb't dropped a set yet so he should be as fresh as a daisy come his semi-final

ReputationRep:
    Well done Djokovic! Although like Lizzy said, I think Murray will be the tougher test than 2015 Nadal.

But look at Nadal's record though! 72 RG matches, won 70 and lost 2...I still think he's the king of clay after today

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic matches from Novak and Andy today! Look forward to the semi-finals.

ReputationRep:
    Novak-Murray semi final on clay - no thanks. Gonna be Djokovic beating Stan in 4 on Sunday.

I need DelPo to come back now, just to mix it up a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    I agree. He has to go back to his faster serve now. I don't think he has any other option.
    He could if it didn't give him shoulder problems. He said sometime after the 2011 Indian Wells final that he wouldn't be using the service motion for the fast serve anymore. After the 2010 US Open, where he happened to have great success with it, he tried resurrecting it during that Indian Wells tournament but it fell to pieces against Djokovic in particular - there was one period of the match (3rd set I think) where he served at under 20% of 1st serves.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal's issue is not his serve (he's got the skills to compensate elsewhere), it's that his game is so physical and predicated on 30 shot rallies in which his opponent makes the mistakes. If he's to last then he needs to learn to shorten points.

Improved net play and drop shots for example.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be Wawrinka vs Tsonga first tomorrow, followed by Djokovic and Murray. Hopefully both semis will be great matches

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.