Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyyo)
    are we the last year that can resit modules?
    No the new syllabus doesn't start until 2017, there will be AS resits in 2018 at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Pretty much. Got the 1's and S's in mocks. Just hoping for the papers to be on my sting topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let's hope so I'm sure you'll be OK

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Pretty much. Got the 1's and S's in mocks. Just hoping for the papers to be on my strong topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not that I'm planning to sit STEP but realistically, do you have to be "born" a great mathematician to sit STEP or can you do well as AS Level, discover that you have a mathematical mind and soul, and then decide that you can handle it? I guess its similar to the question of whether ability comes from talent or hard work - the answer, I'm guessing, is that natural abiltiy counts but you need to work hard to exercise it?

ReputationRep:
    do u guys think its still possible to get an A, with 64/75 in c1 & s1, but 45/75 in c2??? if anyone has an idea please let me know, thank youu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wawasan)
    Not that I'm planning to sit STEP but realistically, do you have to be "born" a great mathematician to sit STEP or can you do well as AS Level, discover that you have a mathematical mind and soul, and then decide that you can handle it? I guess its similar to the question of whether ability comes from talent or hard work - the answer, I'm guessing, is that natural abiltiy counts but you need to work hard to exercise it?
    You can induce matural ability as I am not a genius I think. You still need a very strong understamding of work in A level. You could all the poers and still not get a 1 as almost every question has a different principle behind it or a different trick required. It is a combination of the two as natural ability alone will not get someone through adn oure hard work wouldnt either as you still need to know how to think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Really? So didn't this exam follow the other past paper's methods or patterns?
    I missed it due to my stupid asthma attack. I think exam boards are starting to have this idea that, because we have access to many many resources...compared to the previous years- we would be at at terrible advantage or something.
    Some questions where threw into that exam that i never saw before and i did every past paper available. Also, i think that may be the reason but what they are doing is just going a bit too far, if many people are doing well thats good, and they could just raise boundaries, not give a paper so much harder.
    Sorry to hear about that btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyyo)
    do u guys think its still possible to get an A, with 64/75 in c1 & s1, but 45/75 in c2??? if anyone has an idea please let me know, thank youu
    nah mate you'll be a bit off, aim for around 69 on S1

ReputationRep:
    is the unofficial mark scheme out yet?

(Original post by Mquinn)
    is the unofficial mark scheme out yet?

Came out yesterday
    Done by arsey on another thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Around what UMS mark do I need for an overall A in AS Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharaf371)
    You need exactly 240 ums or above

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharaf371)
    240/300 UMS, so an average of 80% across your 3 papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frozo123)
    nah mate you'll be a bit off, aim for around 69 on S1
    oh ite, so will 69/75 in s1 give me more of a chance of getting an A(but if grade bouandaries are set slightly lower, thatll be better right?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyyo)
    oh ite, so will 69/75 in s1 give me more of a chance of getting an A(but if grade bouandaries are set slightly lower, thatll be better right?)
    If you did get 45/75 your best case scenario is getting 58ums ( that's taking an A to be 60)

then 64/75 in C1, I have no idea what the grade boundaries will be, say if 64 was 90

that means You'll have to get 92 ums in S1 which I think is around 70

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjames)
    240/300 UMS, so an average of 80% across your 3 papers.
    is that according to last years grade bouandaries?

ReputationRep:
    If you did get 45/75 your best case scenario is getting 58ums ( that's taking an A to be 60)

then 64/75 in C1, I have no idea what the grade boundaries will be, say if 64 was 90

that means You'll have to get 92 ums in S1 which I think is around 70
    ohhh, thanks for explaining that, doubt ill be getting an A then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyyo)
    ohhh, thanks for explaining that, doubt ill be getting an A then
    If you get 73+ you could just make it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greggkn)
    your a rat m8 don't be such a **** to people who got stuff wrong
    Soz m8 dnt bang me out yo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Some questions where threw into that exam that i never saw before and i did every past paper available. Also, i think that may be the reason but what they are doing is just going a bit too far, if many people are doing well thats good, and they could just raise boundaries, not give a paper so much harder.
    Sorry to hear about that btw.
    /

Wow, every past paper? The work ethic on TSR, my goodness lol My best friend did past papers from 2002 to 2014 for C1, C2 and M1 haha. She even dived into AQA questions but no offence to her, that is insanity- who has that time...I have physics to worry about and three other subjects lool. I wish the best for everyone here seriously and I agree that edexcel is being unfair. Groove complained that the raise in those getting As over the years was because of exam boards and the current system so everything is now being considered.
    Thank you, it sucks that I'm going to have to do the paper next year I'm now terrified...it's become their habit now to give even more dreadful questions each year.

ReputationRep:
    If you get 73+ you could just make it!
    i really hope i do, these grade boundaries really need to be low thoe(fingers crossed)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.