Sex.
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    Nice thread name change Ape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Nice thread name change Ape.
    Name 'Eagle Eyes' Deprived.

Except then you wouldn't be deprived of a name... hm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Bloody miserable! :o: I threw in the towel when it started snowing.

Laser 3000s mainly, with one outing in a Feva which was really fun and Dart 18s when I was doing my multihull endorsement. I also used to go out in my grandparents' day-sailer which is a lovely century-old thing he restored. However, none of this is recent - I think I last sailed when I was going into S5!
    :rofl: I can see why, sitting with numb feet all day aien't fun!

Ooh awesome, the Dart 18 looks rather fun. I've done more yachting in large ocean going ketches so it's taking some getting used to on these small boats! Still fun though.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    No homo :sigh:
    Horrible word.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound too terrible. Nice one. So when were you discussing this with your DoS? And what do you think of ML as a language so far?
    I was talking about this to my DoS a week ago. I think I'll write a full explanation of how the program works this time for my tick 4*. My ticker for tick 3* failed to work out how my program worked and I had to sit there explaning it all.

He still didn't get it in the end :cry:

ML is great! I think I'm getting the hang of it too (probably because I spent so much time on it producing stuff that are not asked for :p:) - this tick for example was quite a bit easier than I thought it would be even though I didn't follow the prescribed steps :o:

Do you want a copy of the program? It's a bit contrived at the moment, I'm trying to simplify it using curried functions.

ReputationRep:
    You can print what I sent you out and scare your friends (and teachers) with it :rofl:

Ok maybe that's a bit too far :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Ooh awesome, the Dart 18 looks rather fun. I've done more yachting in large ocean going ketches so it's taking some getting used to on these small boats! Still fun though.
    The Dart was ridiculously fun. It doesn't so much have a mainsheet as a Warp Speed Rope. :p:

Oh wow! How do you go about that? And is that competitive, too?

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    He still didn't get it in the end :cry:
    Your Tick 3* was clever, it has to be said.

ML is great! I think I'm getting the hang of it too (probably because I spent so much time on it producing stuff that are not asked for :p:) - this tick for example was quite a bit easier than I thought it would be even though I didn't follow the prescribed steps :o:

Do you want a copy of the program? It's a bit contrived at the moment, I'm trying to simplify it using curried functions.
    Awesome I quite like ML, but prefer Haskell (less clunky/more polished in places, and with a much nicer type system).

Yeah, please, I'll take a look. I get the algorithm alright, since it's one of about two standard ways for representing graphs, but I'm always interested to take a peek at other people's code a) to see how they think and b) to catch any neat tricks they've used. :o:

ReputationRep:
    :puppyeyes: What did you send him?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, please, I'll take a look. I get the algorithm alright, since it's one of about two standard ways for representing graphs, but I'm always interested to take a peek at other people's code a) to see how they think and b) to catch any neat tricks they've used. :o:
    Ok I'll send you a copy within the next hour or so - I'm trying to make it take up as less space on paper as possible.

ReputationRep:
    It's a disappointment...let's just say it wasn't as large as I originally perceived it to be :awesome:
    Hang it on my wall :moon:
    :rofl: Epic.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'll send you a copy within the next hour or so - I'm trying to make it take up as less space on paper as possible.
    No probs... although I thought you wanted your ticker to understand it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's a disappointment...let's just say it wasn't as large as I originally perceived it to be :awesome:
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    No probs... although I thought you wanted your ticker to understand it! :p:
    I do! And by making it simpler I think he'll understand it better.

ReputationRep:
    I do! And by making it simpler I think he'll understand it better.
    Ah, but 'simplicity' and 'space on page' aren't linearly correlated! As an aside, consider this solution to tick 3* in Haskell:

Spoiler:
    Show
    filterM (const [True, False])

ReputationRep:
    The Dart was ridiculously fun. It doesn't so much have a mainsheet as a Warp Speed Rope. :p:

Oh wow! How do you go about that? And is that competitive, too?
    I've done it the past three summers, my local private school owns the yacht and releses it to an organisation I'm part off! I was just doing it for recreation and experience wise but the same ketch takes part in the tallship races. It's a weeks long trip sailing around the Western Isles, also got to do some night sailing which was rather epic.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but 'simplicity' and 'space on page' aren't linearly correlated! As an aside, consider this solution to tick 3* in Haskell:

Spoiler:
    Show
    filterM (const [True, False])
    :rofl:

But by rewritting some of my wrappers as curried functions it should avoid some of the working tracing what exactly that function does...

ReputationRep:
    Sent, but I think TSR may have inserted spaces at unwelcome places. :p:

ReputationRep:
    And I'm the only one on here :ninja:
    :lies:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much on the knowledge of postgraduates and masters but can you do your Masters at any university?
    Assuming they run a course and/or will accept you, then yes. (Although postgraduate applications aren't, for the most part, made through UCAS so it's not so homogeneous or streamlined a process.)

Say I was to graduate from Edinburgh with a First, could I do postgraduate or Masters at Aberdeen? Or even Cambridge? Is it doing at those universities just as hard as getting in as an undergraduate?
    I can't speak for the specific examples, but getting in as a postgraduate can often be harder than getting in as an undergraduate, and there can be additional hurdles to jump through (if it's a research degree, you may have to prepare a proposal, seek funding, etc). However, a first class degree would be a good stepping stone to getting a strong application in. What are you thinking of a Master's in?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh unit 2 chemistry<33333 :love:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.