Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Ugh. Manic return after half term - the usual teacher wasn't in for my year 8 class so I took them with a supply teacher in the room and they were just nothing like they usually are. To be fair it was last lesson and my lesson wasn't the greatest it could have been but I had rudeness, silliness, had to move one girl and even those that I can always rely on started to be a bit chatty.

11 days and counting.
    First day back after a holiday is always tricky. They want to tell each other what they've been doing. Tomorrow will be better.

ReputationRep:
    You're in the home stretch now, guys! :rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggsil)
    You're in the home stretch now, guys! :rave:
    Yeah but yet to secure a job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Started my new job today. Being eased in by the teacher who is leaving, who is also my old mentor, so it's not too bad. Slightly terrified about the amount of information about exam boards etc that was given to me today though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Started my me job today. Being eased in by the teacher who is leaving, who is also my old mentor, so it's not too bad. Slightly terrified about the amount of information about exam boards etc that was given to me today though.
    Have you finished your PGCE course already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Have you finished your PGCE course already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup, my Schools Direct course finished before May half-term.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, my Schools Direct course finished before May half-term.
    Oh yeah, you're on Schools Direct. Lucky you. I still have a week at school, to write an essay and then a few days at uni which includes having to deliver a presentation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a really bad day today - was observed by my PLC and I thought the lesson went well but I was given a 3. It was to do with not sequencing the activities right and a lack of differentiated outcomes. My lowest grade since placement 1. I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking things through/making silly judgements.

Sat in the staff room after it really deflated and doubting myself about my NQT year!

10 days to go.

ReputationRep:
    Excluding weekends, 2 uni days, a residential trip and a couple of days at my new school, I have 12 days left until I'm done.

I finished being assessed before Easter though, so don't actually have any teaching responsibilities and haven't for weeks. Feel like I'm just killing time most days....

ReputationRep:
    If I can't find a job before the summer, would be going into TA be a suitable idea? I'd probably prefer that over supply as it's fixed. It'll allow me recoup the PGCE money, apply for jobs at the same time and consider the next step.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Assessment finished yesterday. So now another 6 weeks of just teaching, and then looking forward to a different school from September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Assessment finished yesterday. So now another 6 weeks of just teaching, and then looking forward to a different school from September!
    You've still got six weeks?!?! How comes? I finish mine next week and I know a couple of others who are ending in 7-10 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You've still got six weeks?!?! How comes? I finish mine next week and I know a couple of others who are ending in 7-10 days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm School Direct (Salaried). We stay to the bitter end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    I'm School Direct (Salaried). We stay to the bitter end.
    Oh ok, makes sense. At least you get paid tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I can't find a job before the summer, would be going into TA be a suitable idea? I'd probably prefer that over supply as it's fixed. It'll allow me recoup the PGCE money, apply for jobs at the same time and consider the next step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would be an option and I always thought I'd prefer that to supply. However, remember that supply isn't necessarily agency type work being phoned up on the day and going in to a strange school. A lot of people do regular supply for schools that they know, for example, your placement schools or a school that a friend works in. So they get to know the school, routines, the children know them etc.

Also longer term jobs come up part way through the term. In my school:

I started Sept 26th due to long term sick leave and am staying till the end of the academic year.
    A colleague is covering maternity leave from Xmas till just before summer, and she started at October half term doing full-time intervention/cover etc for half a term first.
    A colleague stepped in to cover a break (the one where you go to work for someone else temporarily - I forget the word!) from Xmas till the end of the academic year.
    A colleague started team teaching/sharing a class, and now takes mostly the whole class, since Mid-autumn as the class teacher was given more management responsibility.
    A teacher who started as part time to allow someone else to cut down after Easter.
    A teacher who started after Easter as someone moved away.

Admittedly my school has a very high staff turnover, but still! It shows that lots of things do come up and starting on supply will keep you free to take up any offers that may appear! I guess it depends a lot on how much you need a steady income though.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Another week over.

7 teaching days to go!

Essays passed, standards all 1s and 2s. Just need to improve differentiation or assessment in my last week to come out outstanding.

Nothing planned for next week yet though...

ReputationRep:
    Finally I'm making strides in finding that job! I've got three interviews over the next week or so, two on the same day. Any tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally I'm making strides in finding that job! I've got three interviews over the next week or so, two on the same day. Any tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make sure you show progress in your lesson and have a range of engaging activities for the kids. Ensure you can reflect on what went well and what didn't. Research possible questions and the school. They want to know why you want to work at that school so show a passion for it.

You are on interview from the minute you enter the school. If you are taken on a tour by the children they will be asked for their opinion of you, reception staff may also be.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Shelly - everything you do is being judged. I arrived for an interview in the pouring rain and held the door open for an elderly gentleman who got there at the same time as me. He turned out to be the chair of governors.

I got the job, but suspect even if everything else had happened exactly the same way, but I let that door slam in his face I never would have got the position.

Also look up the school's aims and ethos and be prepared to show that your beliefs match their beliefs. I read every policy the school published online and was able to subtly make it clear that I'd done that when being interviewed.

In your lesson, try to assess prior knowledge, teach something new, give them the chance to use that and then use a plenary (and mini-plenaries) to assess if they've got it.

Get your lessons ready asap and practise them if you can. I totally ditched one of my interview lessons after testing it out at school!

I did 3 interviews in one week and it is quite exhausting, so be as prepared as possible so that you aren't sitting there after interview 1 trying to prepare lesson materials for interview 2.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you show progress in your lesson and have a range of engaging activities for the kids. Ensure you can reflect on what went well and what didn't. Research possible questions and the school. They want to know why you want to work at that school so show a passion for it.

You are on interview from the minute you enter the school. If you are taken on a tour by the children they will be asked for their opinion of you, reception staff may also be.
    Yeah deffo. And I need to show I can work with the TA. Another thing I got criticised for in my first interview, way back in March, was too much teacher talk. What should be the ratio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.