Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzfail)
    Do non-UK but EU applicants pay more than UK applicants?
    UK and EU applicants are pretty much equal in terms of admissions.

ReputationRep:
    Got the rejection 2 days ago but only just made it official by unwatching this thread... *sob*

Name:  go on.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  23.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzfail)
    Got the rejection 2 days ago but only just made it official by unwatching this thread... *sob*

Name:  go on.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  23.8 KB
    http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ee/ee97...b7e47ae49a.jpg

Sorry to hear about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puella_optima)
    http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ee/ee97...b7e47ae49a.jpg

Sorry to hear about that
    Haha thank you Still waiting to hear back from Oxford which is my No 1 anyway, and still got KCL for the opportunity to study in London so the game is not over yet

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know about the social life at LSE , heard it's not great (but don't want to let that put me off so persuade me otherwise please)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chester1995)
    Anyone know about the social life at LSE , heard it's not great (but don't want to let that put me off so persuade me otherwise please)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've read this a lot of times on the internet, but don't worry some people also say that it is not as bad as many put it. I had many doubts last summer whether LSE should really be my first choice. What is true I think is that they are going to make you work very hard and the social life might not be as good as in Cambridge. But still LSE is in London in one of the most amazing cities in the world and the Student's Union is known as one of the most politically active in the UK and in addition there are a lot of societies and sports clubs like in every other uni in the UK. Above all it all depends on your attitude If you go there with the feeling that you gonna meet lots of new people, make new friends and have great fun, then your time there is going to be amazing I think
    I can remember how I felt about it and I was quite frustrated but then I just thought about all these things and like you I didn't want anything to put me off. Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinaawesome)
    Agreed! I am still waiting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    me too! fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsamaS)
    A*AB- The average ums over my top 3 (further maths, maths and physics) was 91, if i remember correctly. But history brought it down to 88. ( I got A* because my school did the whole of maths a-level in a year rather than do further maths modules.)
    oh great! so what was your predicted? Also, is LSE your firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected for Intl History on Friday - absolutely gutted

9A*s and 3As at GCSE, 4As at AS (inc. History 190/200 UMS & Politics 200/200 UMS) with A* in EPQ and predicted 3A*s at A2. I've got conditional offers from Durham, Exeter and UEA and have had an interview at Oxford. Also got the 'you are among the strongest applicants in your cohort' email from LSE 2 weeks ago.

I was under the impression I had a strong PS (with a good focus on international history!) but obviously not, as the justification for the rejection was that my personal statement was not as 'compelling' as others applying for the course. Obviously I'm really pleased with my other offers and have got my fingers crossed for Oxford, but I really really loved the course at LSE

I probably just sound bitter, but it surprises me that LSE place so much weight on the Personal Statement when I know so many people (some with LSE offers!) who have had significant assistance from teachers and parents in writing theirs. Oh well, life goes on :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squid-)

9A*s and 3As at GCSE, 4As at AS (inc. History 190/200 UMS & Politics 200/200 UMS) with A* in EPQ and predicted 3A*s at A2. I've got conditional offers from Durham, Exeter and UEA and have had an interview at Oxford. Also got the 'you are among the strongest applicants in your cohort' email from LSE 2 weeks ago.

I was under the impression I had a strong PS (with a good focus on international history!) but obviously not, as the justification for the rejection was that my personal statement was not as 'compelling' as others applying for the course. Obviously I'm really pleased with my other offers and have got my fingers crossed for Oxford, but I really really loved the course at LSE

I probably just sound bitter, but it surprises me that LSE place so much weight on the Personal Statement when I know so many people (some with LSE offers!) who have had significant assistance from teachers and parents in writing theirs. Oh well, life goes on :rolleyes:
    That isn't fair at all. Even if your PS wasn't that good, you had great grades and that is MUCH harder than writing a good PS. I had ABBB at AS and I was made an offer for the same course. I really you'll get that place in Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    That isn't fair at all. Even if your PS wasn't that good, you had great grades and that is MUCH harder than writing a good PS. I had ABBB at AS and I was made an offer for the same course. I really you'll get that place in Oxford.
    The annoying thing is, I KNOW my PS was 'good'. Clearly not the best, but I invested a huge amount of time writing it, and even attempted to model it around what LSE said they looked for in a PS when I went to their open day! The UCAS coordinator at my school (they have to look through for spelling errors haha) said it was one of the best statements she'd read I guess I'm just wondering what I was missing, because I was clearly missing something

ReputationRep:
    Just shows how much emphasis they place on personal statements, quite ridiculous to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing is, I KNOW my PS was 'good'. Clearly not the best, but I invested a huge amount of time writing it, and even attempted to model it around what LSE said they looked for in a PS when I went to their open day! The UCAS coordinator at my school (they have to look through for spelling errors haha) said it was one of the best statements she'd read I guess I'm just wondering what I was missing, because I was clearly missing something
    its a little subjective as well. Maybe the tutor didn't like it. Or maybe they just cant figure out how to choose 1 out 10 candidates.
    But don't you remorse over it bro, you still got Oxford which is better than LSE. And you really deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say writing a good PS is much harder than getting great grades, but that's just because I had a lot of difficulties thinking of what to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Just shows how much emphasis they place on personal statements, quite ridiculous to be honest.
    and imagine they have to read 10 personal statements and choose which one is the best. Than is just impossible when I think about it:confused:. I dont get why don't they use interviews or tests.

ReputationRep:
    its a little subjective as well. Maybe the tutor didn't like it. Or maybe they just cant figure out how to choose 1 out 10 candidates.
    But don't you remorse over it bro, you still got Oxford which is better than LSE. And you really deserve it.
    Hmm, I guess. Well, hopefully I was able to show a passion for history in my interview that I clearly didn't show in my PS :rolleyes:

(Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I'd say writing a good PS is much harder than getting great grades, but that's just because I had a lot of difficulties thinking of what to write.
    I worked hard for those grades!! But yeah, how anyone is meant to show their passion for a subject in about 700 words is beyond me...the amount of activities and books you have to omit just to keep to the bloody word limit! The first PS draft I did was 3 pages long haha

ReputationRep:
    and imagine they have to read 10 personal statements and choose which one is the best. Than is just impossible when I think about it:confused:. I dont get why don't they use interviews or tests.
    Interviews work best for the people with the most confidence and the most practice- also as LSE don't do a tutorial system like Oxbridge it isn't as necessary to be able to discuss your ideas in the way that an interview tests.
    However I have to agree there should be some sort of test- I think that the Oxford History Aptitude Test was a genuine test of how good you were (on the day, obviously) at History - source analysis, essay writing, interpreting sources etc. In my opinion LSE should do something like that rather than choosing based on personal statements.

ReputationRep:

Wow, I also applied for I.H at LSE. My grades are nowhere near as good as yours either, GCSE's included. My 2 weeks was up also on Friday, but have heard nothing. If someone like you got rejected, there's not much hope for me really....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did your interviews go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelich)
    Wow, I also applied for I.H at LSE. My grades are nowhere near as good as yours either, GCSE's included. My 2 weeks was up also on Friday, but have heard nothing. If someone like you got rejected, there's not much hope for me really....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, if you survived the culling of last Friday, that's got to be encouraging And as my case probably proves, it's not the grades that LSE are looking for- they must feel that the personal statement is a far better indicator of someone's potential to do well at their degree. They eliminated people with too low grades a while back in the application process, so the fact you're still in the running should be a confidence boost!

(Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    How did your interviews go?
    No idea, one better than the other. There were a lot of History applicants at my college, so not really expecting anything. I think this LSE rejection has prepared me mentally for the Oxford one, if that's how it's going to end

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.