Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    the club froze him out so they could write off his wages in the books meaning they won't count against financial fair play
    It was for tax implications. They could write off his wages, reducing the tax bill by the marginal tax rate multiplied by his annual wages. That would probably save at least 1 mill per year. If they write off his transfer fee on the balance sheet, they'd save about 2 mill.

I reckon the same thing is happening with Bebe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Whats the deal with Park cause I don't even remember watching 5 consecutive games with him playing. I don't think he got the chance to prove himself and in all honesty I can't even assess how good/bad he is cause he just hasn't played! Maybe he just wasn't good enough at training and Wenger thought it wasn't worth playing him. Although that begs the question- why buy him in the first place then?
    I think he was probably bought to increase our exposure in the Asian market. The shirt sales alone probably paid for the transfer fee.

ReputationRep:
    So with dead weight on the agenda who else Diaby? Injury prone, Wilshere? Useless injury prone. Giroud? useless. Sagna and vermarlen were pretty terrid aswell this season they can go, podolski was hit and miss but he could stay. That should free up a couple of hundred million to activate messi's release clause then we should be title contenders, world class players are what we need.

ReputationRep:
    Feel like the Jovetic situation can be related to Cahill a couple seasons back. Bolton wanted too much and we hadn't signed a defender, even though we were lacking in that department - then came deadline day and we signed Mertesacker for a much cheaper price and a lot of people criticised Wenger for it.

I don't think Arsene will change his ways, he'll go back to how he dealt with things before the stadium change, he won't fork out a lot because that's just how he works. He'll continue looking for bargains and for that reason I doubt he'll go for Jovetic unless he can get Fiorentina to halve their price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    Feel like the Jovetic situation can be related to Cahill a couple seasons back. Bolton wanted too much and we hadn't signed a defender, even though we were lacking in that department - then came deadline day and we signed Mertesacker for a much cheaper price and a lot of people criticised Wenger for it.

I don't think Arsene will change his ways, he'll go back to how he dealt with things before the stadium change, he won't fork out a lot because that's just how he works. He'll continue looking for bargains and for that reason I doubt he'll go for Jovetic unless he can get Fiorentina to halve their price.

Wouldnt underestimate that though. Wenger's built up this reputation as a tight negotiator who wont pay a penny more than he says for players and I think that helps us to get players like Cazorla for a fraction of their true value. Not very often we get bent over on transfers compared with other clubs so long term this tactic pays off.

Problem with Wenger is that he's more than willing to pay 30m on a player, but only if he reckons the player is actually worth 45m. A 31m player for 30m is not something Wenger would go for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Wouldnt underestimate that though. Wenger's built up this reputation as a tight negotiator who wont pay a penny more than he says for players and I think that helps us to get players like Cazorla for a fraction of their true value. Not very often we get bent over on transfers compared with other clubs so long term this tactic pays off.

Problem with Wenger is that he's more than willing to pay 30m on a player, but only if he reckons the player is actually worth 45m. A 31m player for 30m is not something Wenger would go for.
    In his defence, there aren't really a lot of players worth £20m - let alone £30m. There's quite a lot of people who want him to splash out that much but I'm glad he hasn't as so many of the touted players are overvalued. He's worked wonders in the transfer market no doubt about that. I think what you've said about the tactic paying off in the long term sums up Wenger pretty well.

A lot of what he does is focused on the long term future of the club which I think is quite important - for example, when we upgraded the training ground to London Colney instead of reinvesting it into the team. This will now be there for a long time like the new stadium.

Not really sure what else he might feel the club needs to invest in, but judging from the release of about 17 academy players one might feel he's going to focus on improving our academy now.

ReputationRep:
    We should resign Cesc for £30m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    We should resign Cesc for £30m.
    We could probably get him for less but yeah I agree

ReputationRep:
    All this false hope of signing top players and we will end up with some crap ligue 2 striker, typical transfer window

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    All this false hope of signing top players and we will end up with some crap ligue 2 striker, typical transfer window
    I don't know what you're expecting but I have a feeling it's unrealistic. At the end of last season we went 10 matches unbeaten only conceding 5 or something. If we can maintain that into next season we'll be challenging.

However, I still don't see us beating Chelsea (seeing as Mourinho's back), Man City (Pellegrini coming in and signing Navas - might mean they'll put Silva in the hole and hope for something similar to Cazorla) or Man Utd (we drew with them after they'd won the league with nothing to play for).

I think the only additions that are essential are a backup defender (unless Djourou stays), a backup for Arteta and a new starting forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    I don't know what you're expecting but I have a feeling it's unrealistic. At the end of last season we went 10 matches unbeaten only conceding 5 or something. If we can maintain that into next season we'll be challenging.

However, I still don't see us beating Chelsea (seeing as Mourinho's back), Man City (Pellegrini coming in and signing Navas - might mean they'll put Silva in the hole and hope for something similar to Cazorla) or Man Utd (we drew with them after they'd won the league with nothing to play for).

I think the only additions that are essential are a backup defender (unless Djourou stays), a backup for Arteta and a new starting forward.
    so you basically saying we're fighting for fourth again next season

we went 12 games unbeaten but we never played well, at certain points we were lucky to get wins (westbrom away) . Either way just look at the system overall I dont think the form we showed at the end of the last season has much of an effect on how we play next season, we've started pretty **** the last 2 seasons now so I wouldn't expect any different from the current squad. Personally think we need 3 top players of which atleast 2 should walk straight into the first team, no point bolstering the squad anymore we lack genuine quality.

ReputationRep:
    Totally forgot about Djourou..

Isn't he on 50k a week too? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Totally forgot about Djourou..

Isn't he on 50k a week too? :facepalm2:
    yeah, paid by Hannover 96.

Djourou is similar to Bendtner though in that both want 1st team football and will have clubs willing to pay them so they're not a problem. Chamakh on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    yeah, paid by Hannover 96.

Djourou is similar to Bendtner though in that both want 1st team football and will have clubs willing to pay them so they're not a problem. Chamakh on the other hand...
    The chairman of West ham was doing a q&a session on Twitter the other day. Was asked "Why did you buy Chamakh?"

Replied: "I'd rather not answer that..."

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    Chamakh is a joke of a footballer.

ReputationRep:

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    Navas just signed for city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or do you feel Ramsey is going to be a very good player in the future?

He seems to have a bit of everything, he isn't injury prone, has a good build and is fairly skilful. He's british which is usually a positive in this league as well. I think he is a player we have to be extremely patient with.

Only advice I'd give to him is to stay focused, as a lot of the errors he has made in the past could have been avoided if he had tried to keep things simple.

£5m was a serious bargain for him.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or do you feel Ramsey is going to be a very good player in the future?

He seems to have a bit of everything, he isn't injury prone, has a good build and is fairly skilful. He's british which is usually a positive in this league as well. I think he is a player we have to be extremely patient with.

Only advice I'd give to him is to stay focused, as a lot of the errors he has made in the past could have been avoided if he had tried to keep things simple.

£5m was a serious bargain for him.
    Nope, just you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Nope, just you.
    Speak for yourself.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.