Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone hearing to wait from the referees? I sent my reference request 9 days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darren2811)
    Hey

I was hoping you could all give me your opinions on a topic. For one of my interviews I have to do a presentation on any topic of my choice for 5 minutes. I have been told to avoid a topic on the subject I want to teach and to avoid anything that sounds like you are giving a lesson.

I have narrowed it down to two choices. My first one is on a documentary I recently watched (called Bridegroom). I was going to talk about the life of the two guys in it, how one of the families did not accept he was gay, how he died very young, the boyfriend was left with no access to information because they were not married and then his family came over got the boyfriend to pay for the funeral and flying the body back home. The family then took the body home and refused to tell the boyfriend any details of the funeral/memorial etc. He was threatened with an attack if he showed up. It then leads on to the boyfriend now fights for equal marriage rights because if they had been able to marry he would have been able to obtain information of how his partner died.

My problem with this is I am worried it sounds too political and might sound like I am trying to force the idea of equal marriage on them?

My other choice is on the book/film "the perks of being a wallflower". It shows the struggles teenagers face in secondary school, brings in the element of teachers nurturing talent and being more than just a teacher. Also it includes parts about mental health and child abuse.

Any opinions on what would be a better choice are greater appreciated
    I'd definitely go with the book/film and your interpretation of it. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was hoping you could all give me your opinions on a topic. For one of my interviews I have to do a presentation on any topic of my choice for 5 minutes. I have been told to avoid a topic on the subject I want to teach and to avoid anything that sounds like you are giving a lesson.

I have narrowed it down to two choices. My first one is on a documentary I recently watched (called Bridegroom). I was going to talk about the life of the two guys in it, how one of the families did not accept he was gay, how he died very young, the boyfriend was left with no access to information because they were not married and then his family came over got the boyfriend to pay for the funeral and flying the body back home. The family then took the body home and refused to tell the boyfriend any details of the funeral/memorial etc. He was threatened with an attack if he showed up. It then leads on to the boyfriend now fights for equal marriage rights because if they had been able to marry he would have been able to obtain information of how his partner died.

My problem with this is I am worried it sounds too political and might sound like I am trying to force the idea of equal marriage on them?

My other choice is on the book/film "the perks of being a wallflower". It shows the struggles teenagers face in secondary school, brings in the element of teachers nurturing talent and being more than just a teacher. Also it includes parts about mental health and child abuse.

I vote perks. It's really quite relevant to teenage life in a high school and you could easily make some great points out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancer54)
    I 'm struggling to find an article to write about for the test part of my interview. Any ideas on where is the best place to look?
    Could you just look through the TES or websites of some of the national papers and see what crops up? For example, in the Daily Mail today (I picked it up while I was at the dentist this morning, don't judge me ) there are a couple of articles that you could use.

One about gender segregation in universities:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...extremism.html

One about primary school standards:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...standards.html

The Guardian website might be a good place to look too:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancer54)
    I 'm struggling to find an article to write about for the test part of my interview. Any ideas on where is the best place to look?

(Original post by bellylaugh)
    Could you just look through the TES or websites of some of the national papers and see what crops up? For example, in the Daily Mail today (I picked it up while I was at the dentist this morning, don't judge me ) there are a couple of articles that you could use.

One about gender segregation in universities:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...extremism.html

One about primary school standards:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...standards.html

The Guardian website might be a good place to look too:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education

Good luck!
    I know you just picked it out because of the easiness - but please dancer, don't use the Daily Mail for your article choice! It's just a 'faux pas' you don't need to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    I know you just picked it out because of the easiness - but please dancer, don't use the Daily Mail for your article choice! It's just a 'faux pas' you don't need to make.
    THe same articles appear in the other national press titles too such as:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...lish-standards

Is the content of the article not appropriate or just that it's in the Daily Mail? I'm not too sure whether this is the kind of thing that is appropriate or if it needs to be more of an 'academic' piece?

ReputationRep:
    I have submitted my application on the 5th of December and am still waiting to get an offer/reply from my choices. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    I have submitted my application on the 5th of December and am still waiting to get an offer/reply from my choices. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?:confused:
    I'm in the same position, not even had a letter from ucas, must be driving my mum mad texting her all the time to ask if I've had post! I know one of my choices has finished interviewing til after Christmas and I'm on holiday the first week of January so getting on edge!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    I know you just picked it out because of the easiness - but <i>please </i>dancer, don't use the Daily Mail for your article choice! It's just a 'faux pas' you don't need to make.
    I think as long as you could talk about it objectively and recognise weaknesses it would be okay. The issues are appearing in the media so are clearly issues to some people.

(Original post by bellylaugh)
    Is the content of the article not appropriate or just that it's in the Daily Mail? I'm not too sure whether this is the kind of thing that is appropriate or if it needs to be more of an 'academic' piece?
    I don't see why these kinds of things wouldn't be appropriate. Whilst teaching is academic, issues surrounding education and schools are rooted in society and have relevance in society. Therefore, what comes up in the media is extremely relevant, I would think.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I think the documentary. With Perks you run the risk of them thinking you just watched the film and thought you'd read the book, plus because the film is quite recent it's probably something they'll have seen already. The documentary sounds much more original.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :-) Oh congrats!! Is that the primary or secondary PGCE?!

Well done you!!

(Original post by magic_box)
    Just found out I've got an offer from St Mary's! Exciting!

I'm really happy as I loved it on the interview day - however the condition is to have passed my Skills Tests by the 28th Feb! I've already passed Literacy but some serious maths revision to commence over the Christmas holidays I think! (booked for 18th Jan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pthomas112)
    Manchter met and Worcester for Psychology and IoE for Social Sciences.

Don't be worried, even the assesors seemed to dislike the new UCAS system. Just a waiting game, they only offer my courses in 3 or 4 institutes and i'm not sure of the competition for places, so it may be that they're getting applicants in ASAP

hi i was just wondering if you have had an interview for man met yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have just received a letter from QUB for my ICT PGCE interview on Wednesday (GULP!). I am just wondering if there is anything I need to be preparing for, (other than the normal question and answer process) I am in no way asking for questions and answers.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Derby next week!! :-D

The interview process sounds okay, I am more excited than anything. Struggling to find my GCSE certificates though... :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hllovt)
    Congrats on your interview! When did you send your application off? I think I send mine off a few days after you, so hopefully I may know today or Monday!!
    I've just realised how bad my spelling was in my last message…that's what you get for trying to type as soon as you wake up. I sent mine off on the 2nd so nearly 2 weeks ago…Ideally I wanted to hear back from my choices before christmas..but that's not looking very likely. x

ReputationRep:
    I just received a letter from UCB, and I have to read a story to a class. Any engaging primary books you guys would recommend?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 interviews now! Completely delighted. Thankfully 2 are after Christmas so I've got a bit of time to prepare for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiler000)
    yeah we got that impression too that they'd decide on the day, just that no one I met that day (and kept in touch with, was a cool group) has heard. Oh well!!! Hope yours went well!
    Thank you - SOOOOO happy with how it went haha, I actually enjoyed the process!

Hope yours went well soon! Hopefully we'll hear something!

How was Chi on wednesday ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mckee118)
    Hello!

I have just received a letter from QUB for my ICT PGCE interview on Wednesday (GULP!). I am just wondering if there is anything I need to be preparing for, (other than the normal question and answer process) I am in no way asking for questions and answers.

Thanks
    It depends somewhat on the university as to their procedure, so refer to your e-mail for specific instructions. More generally, make sure you're aware of some educational issues (for instance academies/students without English as a first language) and prepared to talk about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    I submitted mine on the 6th and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm not really worried yet because they've only had our applications for a few working days really! This is probably one of the busiest times for them (receiving lots of applications close to the 5th 'deadline') so I'm expecting to wait a little longer than some. I know it's hard, but try and keep yourself busy. No news is good news

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.