Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I'm sitting the HAT! I'm always kind of nervous about it! I'm just going over my A Level History notes and doing the practice papers online. Good luck to you btw!
    Good luck to you, you'll probably do amazing so dw about it, I'm stressing enough for everyone! I've started going over my notes thoroughly now as I was previously focusing on doing the source question ( 3 and 1) and now I feel I don't have enough time + really worried about time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy2016)
    What should you do on the MLAT (in the translation section) if you don't recognize a word, or if you don't know how to translate it into the target language? Just leave it as is and show that you understand the grammar of the rest of the sentence?
    Yes they say it's not a test of vocabulary but primarily of grammar and thus they care much more about if you know the grammatical structure of the sentence than a word in that language. What language(s) are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhabib3)
    Still waiting for christ church to send their acknowledgement. Stressing this out :||||
    Finally a fellow Christ Church applicant I'm in the same situation as you. What did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the CAT (aptitude test) and has advice? I'm starting to stress out a little

ReputationRep:
    HI

I think I previously wrote this but I'm freaking out even more now since my HAT is soon and I just want to prepare my self.

So i was wondering if you could give me some advice? i applied to Oxford (pembroke college) to do history but I'm worried about my chances there. i got mostly Bs and Cs in my gcse's ( I know it's terrible ) but my ucas advisor told me that because I'm a bright student (apparently) and because my high school is one of the worst schools in manchester (only 40% got 5 A*-C's) I should give it a shot. Also my KS5 education got disturbed when my college failed their Ofsted 3 times (great stuff), my history class got canceled in December and I had to drop it. It was basically not so great. so i moved to another college and it was hectic and really depressing tbh because i know I'm capable of doing great but it just seems like perhaps it's not really meant to be but for some stupid reason I applied. I wanted to give myself a chance, it's not normal feels kinda surreal to even apply but I know as British African applicant from an estate who did not so great to say the least in her gcses I'll get rejected. But just thought you know why not really? I am estimated A*A A and i just got accepted to KCL ,UOM&Warwick which i am super pleased about but i just wanted to know my chances at oxford doing history, is it realistic ? If I do well in my HAT will they consider me? Will they even read my personal statement? I feel like withdrawing my application and applying somewhere else.

It's okay you can be honest- I just want to know.Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistresshelp)
    HI

I think I previously wrote this but I'm freaking out even more now since my HAT is soon and I just want to prepare my self.

So i was wondering if you could give me some advice? i applied to Oxford (pembroke college) to do history but I'm worried about my chances there. i got mostly Bs and Cs in my gcse's ( I know it's terrible ) but my ucas advisor told me that because I'm a bright student (apparently) and because my high school is one of the worst schools in manchester (only 40% got 5 A*-C's) I should give it a shot. Also my KS5 education got disturbed when my college failed their Ofsted 3 times (great stuff), my history class got canceled in December and I had to drop it. It was basically not so great. so i moved to another college and it was hectic and really depressing tbh because i know I'm capable of doing great but it just seems like perhaps it's not really meant to be but for some stupid reason I applied. I wanted to give myself a chance, it's not normal feels kinda surreal to even apply but I know as British African applicant from an estate who did not so great to say the least in her gcses I'll get rejected. But just thought you know why not really? I am estimated A*A A and i just got accepted to KCL ,UOM&Warwick which i am super pleased about but i just wanted to know my chances at oxford doing history, is it realistic ? If I do well in my HAT will they consider me? Will they even read my personal statement? I feel like withdrawing my application and applying somewhere else.

Calm down, get revising for the HAT and smash it out of the park. You've got 3 solid offers already, you're obviously good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowflake39)
    Finally a fellow Christ Church applicant I'm in the same situation as you. What did you apply for?
    Economics and Management what about you???

ReputationRep:
    HI

I'm just an applicant, but I have read everywhere that Oxford takes the specific exams (HALT) into much more consideration than other aspects of your application. Having said that, I think that having bad GCSEs won't be so negative if you have good predicted grades, that will only mean that you have worked hard and improved!

Moreover, if you get invited to an interview, you'll know you have as many chances as any other student.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you withdraw your application, if you really want to go to Oxford, it's worth the shot. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life thinking “What if I had applied....?”.
    If finally you unfortunately do not get in, it wouldn't be the end of the world either, you alredy have a few offers in good universities! And also, you'll know it before the 15 of January, which is the deadline for other unis.

Good luck and don't lose hope!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I know as British African applicant from an estate who did not so great to say the least in her gcses I'll get rejected. But just thought you know why not really? I am estimated A*A A and i just got accepted to KCL ,UOM&Warwick which i am super pleased about but i just wanted to know my chances at oxford doing history, is it realistic ? If I do well in my HAT will they consider me? Will they even read my personal statement? I feel like withdrawing my application and applying somewhere else.

I think you're being far more pessimistic than is prudent. Granted British African students are not always well represented at Oxford but that in itself does NOT mean you have no chance. Neither does coming from an estate.

You would have done better to apply post-A2 but now that you've applied and are sitting your HAT test soon, I would say don't withdraw. Presumably your extenuating circumstances have all been explained in your school's reference and contextualised properly and you get a strong HAT score, you could still stand a chance of getting to the interview stage! Your predictions are good and your personal statement will most likely be read too. Things are treated holistically - there are no blanket rules saying only those with the 'perfect' grades get offers. It's far more nuanced than that.

Just focus on doing as well as you can do in the HAT - that's all you can realistically do right now. Don't fret and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhabib3)
    Economics and Management what about you???
    French and beginners Russian

ReputationRep:
    Yes they say it's not a test of vocabulary but primarily of grammar and thus they care much more about if you know the grammatical structure of the sentence than a word in that language. What language(s) are you applying for?
    French! Together with History at Christ Church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I think you're being far more pessimistic than is prudent. Granted British African students are not always well represented at Oxford but that in itself does NOT mean you have no chance. Neither does coming from an estate.

You would have done better to apply post-A2 but now that you've applied and are sitting your HAT test soon, I would say don't withdraw. Presumably your extenuating circumstances have all been explained in your school's reference and contextualised properly and you get a strong HAT score, you could still stand a chance of getting to the interview stage! Your predictions are good and your personal statement will most likely be read too. Things are treated holistically - there are no blanket rules saying only those with the 'perfect' grades get offers. It's far more nuanced than that.

Just focus on doing as well as you can do in the HAT - that's all you can realistically do right now. Don't fret and good luck
    Thank you , I'll give the HAT my best shot and wish for the best. When I mentioned being British African I didn't mean it's a disadvantage and I'll definitely get rejected because of it. I was just highlighting that statistically the amount of Black African students that go there is about 7-10%, so it seems like greater competition & that is what worries me.

ReputationRep:
    French and beginners Russian
    Nice! hope i see you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    I'm just an applicant, but I have read everywhere that Oxford takes the specific exams (HALT) into much more consideration than other aspects of your application. Having said that, I think that having bad GCSEs won't be so negative if you have good predicted grades, that will only mean that you have worked hard and improved!

Moreover, if you get invited to an interview, you'll know you have as many chances as any other student.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you withdraw your application, if you really want to go to Oxford, it's worth the shot. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life thinking “What if I had applied....?”.
    If finally you unfortunately do not get in, it wouldn't be the end of the world either, you alredy have a few offers in good universities! And also, you'll know it before the 15 of January, which is the deadline for other unis.

Good luck and don't lose hope!!
    Thank you !! I don't want to have any "what ifs" type of regrets so I'll put my energy in doing well in the HAT and wish for the best I guess.

ReputationRep:
    HI

If you get a good HAT score they will interview you. You have to go one step at a time.

They will know that you went to a difficult school for GCSE and they will make allowances. Keep your focus on the bits that you can influence. You already have good offers in the bag.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you , I'll give the HAT my best shot and wish for the best. When I mentioned being British African I didn't mean it's a disadvantage and I'll definitely get rejected because of it. I was just highlighting that statistically the amount of Black African students that go there is about 7-10%, so it seems like greater competition & that is what worries me.
    Don't let the competition phase you. Your results and HAT score and (hopefully!) interview performance will speak for themselves and if you are deemed to be deserving of a place, they will do their best to find you one Fingers crossed for you and keep us all posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Don't let the competition phase you. Your results and HAT score and (hopefully!) interview performance will speak for themselves and if you are deemed to be deserving of a place, they will do their best to find you one Fingers crossed for you and keep us all posted
    Will do! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    If you get a good HAT score they will interview you. You have to go one step at a time.

They will know that you went to a difficult school for GCSE and they will make allowances. Keep your focus on the bits that you can influence. You already have good offers in the bag.
    So the HAT can make a difference? I will, that's all I can do now. Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Will do! Thank you
    No problem! How does that quote go? Something like "don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon!" :moon: There's aiming high and then there's being totally unrealistic. I'm inclined to think you're more the former

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzaion)
    Anyone doing the CAT (aptitude test) and has advice? I'm starting to stress out a little
    Hey,

I'm doing the CAT as well I just figured that going over AS content (vocab and grammar) was a good idea. I've also been slowly learning the weird verse vocab but I'm not focusing too much on vocab because I couldn't possibly learn every Latin word. That said, I am making sure that I know the AS inside out.
    Also, I've just been doing reading some general Latin verse passages (I find verse a lot harder to translate that prose) so I get used to getting sense of the meaning of the passage rather than getting too hung up on the complex grammar- just things like reading the whole passage a couple of times before diving straight into the translation and also similarly reading the whole sentence several times before translating. I have quite a bad habit of diving straight into the Latin and then freak out because I get really confused... but of course you may know already know this!
    Anyway, that's pretty much all I've been doing- I've really struggled to find enough time to dedicate to CAT prep because school work has been never-ending!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.