Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    First: I'm so chuffed for you! So great they still let you in, it's obvious the marks you received were an anomaly. I'm doing Medicine too, so I may see you at Cam!

But another thing: I got weird marks for my AQA biology exams too. I got an A overall and fortunately an A* in bio was not specified but I was still very disappointed because I felt the exams went really well and I was generally hitting well over full UMS in past papers. So have you considered remarking your exams? It's possible (but slim) they have made mistakes with the papers as I heard other people receiving odd grades from AQA too? But ofc why waste the money since you're already in, just telling you my experience
    Thanks so much, congratulations to you too! Yeah I feel exactly the same, I got 27 marks less than my mock in Biol 5 and I thought the exam went really well. I'm getting it remarked but haven't heard back yet - I'd already asked before I heard about Cambridge. Strangely, my friend who usually got very similar marks to me ended up with full UMS despite bursting into tears after the exam...
    I'm also getting the script back to check it scanned properly (just for peace of mind rather than an actual concern) but that's not back yet either.

Can I ask which college you're going to? Sidney sussex don't usually specify A* in Bio/Chem for medicine but this year they did, I wish I'd applied to one that didn't to save the stress!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara8000)
    wwhhhaaattttt I didn't know we got to join in with johns :O (sidneyite here too)
    I thought I'd seen it somewhere but I just googled it and maybe I'm making it up, I couldn't find it anywhere! :P

We do have a pretty snazzy website for this year though... I've heard Sidney is well known for its great May Balls relative to its size

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    I thought I'd seen it somewhere but I just googled it and maybe I'm making it up, I couldn't find it anywhere! :P

We do have a pretty snazzy website for this year though... I've heard Sidney is well known for its great May Balls relative to its size
    Hi, I'm on Sidney's may ball committee for this year. I don't think that the thing about John's is true (at least, I haven't heard anything about it!). However, you are correct about our excellent may ball reputation. It's a lot for our team this year to keep up with! The website you linked to is the one from 2014's may ball. There will be a new one later this academic year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    High five! Got your A* in lit then?
    Yes, I managed to get full UMS this year! Not sure how
    I got the other A* in psychology, and an A in biology (all sorts of complications with those exams at the time so I'll take it)
    How did you get on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matwx)
    Hi, I'm on Sidney's may ball committee for this year. I don't think that the thing about John's is true (at least, I haven't heard anything about it!). However, you are correct about our excellent may ball reputation. It's a lot for our team this year to keep up with! The website you linked to is the one from 2014's may ball. There will be a new one later this academic year
    Thanks for correcting me, sorry I got so much wrong! Maybe it was someone saying since Sidney only have a ball every two years (that bit's right at least isn't it?) they decided to go to the St John's one instead... does that sound more feasible?

I'm really looking forward to Sidney's one this year and I think it's great that I'll have one in my 1st year, they're the stuff of legend!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for correcting me, sorry I got so much wrong! Maybe it was someone saying since Sidney only have a ball every two years (that bit's right at least isn't it?) they decided to go to the St John's one instead... does that sound more feasible?

I'm really looking forward to Sidney's one this year and I think it's great that I'll have one in my 1st year, they're the stuff of legend!
    Many people go to other colleges' Balls as long as they can afford it and get a ticket.
    My daughter and her friends went to at least 2 balls a year, 3 in the final year.
    If you can get a job as their catering/maintenance/ etc staff on the day of their Balls, you can get a discount ticket at half the price in exchange for your labour for 1/2 day; so basically you work 1/2 of Ball and enjoy the other 1/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesJL)
    Yes, I managed to get full UMS this year! Not sure how
    I got the other A* in psychology, and an A in biology (all sorts of complications with those exams at the time so I'll take it)
    How did you get on?
    A*A*A*A for me! Also managed an A* in lit with full UMS this year, which is absolutely unbelievable as in I never believed it would happen Got full UMS in maths A2, an A* in psychology and a mid A in RS (which I'm alright with, although it's weird that the 3 of us who were all predicted A*s in RS ended up with mid-low As). I guess I'll be seeing you around in October

ReputationRep:

There's no need to be sorry I went to Jesus and Homerton may balls last year. You're lucky to have a Sidney ball in your first year, it's going to be the only one for me during my degree!

ReputationRep:
    Still can't believe I missed my offer. Got AAB, 7 UMS off an A and 7 UMS off an A*. Getting it remarked and hope they go up enough for me to still go to Cambridge. :L

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get very strange marks in French? I got a B in a paper I've never before missed the A* in and at the same time full marks in my speaking, it doesn't feel right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculina)
    Did anyone else get very strange marks in French? I got a B in a paper I've never before missed the A* in and at the same time full marks in my speaking, it doesn't feel right
    Yep :/

Unit 1: A
    Unit 2: A
    Unit 3: A(*)
    Unit 4: U

Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cp1996)
    Yep :/

Unit 1: A
    Unit 2: A
    Unit 3: A(*)
    Unit 4: U

Hmm...
    Is this edexcel? That's exactly the pattern my results have! It didn't cost you your place did it?

ReputationRep:
    Is this edexcel? That's exactly the pattern my results have! It didn't cost you your place did it?
    Yeah, looks kinda out of place aha... and nah I didn't need it for my offer, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I think the literature and arts question has been interpreted in a lot of different ways by different examiners...I didn't either, but I'm annoyed because I really wanted an A* in French. I think I'm gonna get it remarked.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by matwx)
    nnniiiiicccceeeee

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I think the literature and arts question has been interpreted in a lot of different ways by different examiners...I didn't either, but I'm annoyed because I really wanted an A* in French. I think I'm gonna get it remarked.
    I think everyone in my class took the question differently, wasn't really the best :/ better grade would've been nice but I'm just relieved I got in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matwx)
    ...You're lucky to have a Sidney ball in your first year, it's going to be the only one for me during my degree!
    I'll get 3

ReputationRep:
    I'll get 3
    If you're a medic though, you may not get to go when you're at clinical school.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to those Cambridge meet up events?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicJigsaw)
    Is anyone going to those Cambridge meet up events?!
    I might just because there's one literally around the corner from my house.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.