Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradu)
    I'm revising for this tonight =)

sleep on it, and light reading in the morning!

Got 5 pages left in the book it's sinking in soooo well this time round

1.00pm tomoro is lovely aswell ¬¬ now I gotta rush back for the FOOTBALL =l
    I have the same plan lol got about 4/5 pages left of the book too. Then gonna go over notes 2mro along with the Jan paper.

Can't wait for this to be over!!

ReputationRep:
    Here's a nice wee question for you...
    Many chemicals will 'uncouple' oxidation from phosphorylation. In this situation, the energy released by oxidation of food materials is converted into heat instead of being used to form ATP. Once such compound is dintirophenol, which was used in munition factories for the manufacture of explosives during WW1. People working in these factories were exposed to high levels of dinitrophenol.

Suggest and explain why people working in munitions factories during WW1 became very thin regardless of how much they ate (3 marks)

Is it just that they are no longer able to produce ATP, as they food they eat is converted into heat instead, so they have to use the energy stored in their fat (?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)
    I have the same plan lol got about 4/5 pages left of the book too. Then gonna go over notes 2mro along with the Jan paper.

MUCH LOVE <3 ;D =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-92)
    I thought it was the fine molecular mesh of collagen fibres and glycoproteins of the basement membrane that filtered out any molecules with an RMM of more than 69,000? (Basically all proteins).

And sorry but you are describing a typical epithelial cell in the PCT (proximal convoluted tubule). This is where selective reabsorption occurs. Also they have a folded basal membrane (for increased surface area when exchanging ions and glucose back into the capillary).

Podocytes are the epithelial cells of the bowman's (renal) capsule, and are also the 3rd and final filtering mechanism in ultrafiltration, (the first and second being the endothelium of the glomerular capillaries and the basement membrane respectively)

Sorry about the corrections, but exam is tommorrow!! :eek3:
    No i'm describing the podocytes.. i said they increase surface area. And the podocytes are part of the basement membrane. They have gaps between them to allow fluid through into the lumen. The mitonchondria stuff is just extra information my teacher taught us.. and the book's pretty vague.. so if you want just stick to the book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)

SOOO luckyyy! still got quite a bit of the book like excretion and hormones left to do =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontkillhannah)
    Here's a nice wee question for you...
    Many chemicals will 'uncouple' oxidation from phosphorylation. In this situation, the energy released by oxidation of food materials is converted into heat instead of being used to form ATP. Once such compound is dintirophenol, which was used in munition factories for the manufacture of explosives during WW1. People working in these factories were exposed to high levels of dinitrophenol.

Suggest and explain why people working in munitions factories during WW1 became very thin regardless of how much they ate (3 marks)

Is it just that they are no longer able to produce ATP, as they food they eat is converted into heat instead, so they have to use the energy stored in their fat (?)
    less atp is made and increased metabolic rate and not enough food to meet metabolic demand so body turns to alternatives like fats and respires this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bean_90)
    SOOO luckyyy! still got quite a bit of the book like excretion and hormones left to do =/
    I am doing excretion and I am finally gettting it. I didn't get it in Jan lol might be why I got a U.

You will get it done, don't worry So glad this exam is in the afternoon!!

ReputationRep:
    Respiration is becoming a drag. 4 pages left to learn, but I just can't be bothered. I was meant to do the specimen paper today aswell, but sleep is taking over. So glad I have until the afternoon for this tomorrow.. Hope it goes well this time round...don't want another U :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out, the DCT has an Na+/K+ pump... that's how it adjusts salt levels.

ReputationRep:
    What do we need to know about chemiosmosis?

ReputationRep:
    Im okay with everthing just HOPING that the **** on testing athletes for steroid won't come up, its a crapppppy topic!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)

You need to relate it to photophosphorylation and also oxidative phosphorylation.

Just state that its the flow of protons through the ATP synthase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohhai)
    In addition to the actual mechanism, you also need to know about the evidence for the theory of chemiosmosis:
    1. a pH gradient over the membrane implies H+ is being pumped
    2. So long as there is a pH gradient, ATP is synthesised, whether an electron transport chain is present or not
    3. Chemicals that stop H+ being transported across a membrane (for example dinitrophenol) also inhibit ATP production

Also:
    Hi guys, first time I've posted on this thread so sorry if I've broken a rule and only "members" are allowed to post etc etc

Kinda worried about tomorrow if I'm honest! :\

ReputationRep:
    I'm yet to revise but I hope I've retained most of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and reaD the whole book...keep my brain working while I sleep then try and get up in the morning early to read over a little more in case I completely gone blank...
    Just pray tommorrow is a good day! And good exam!!

Anyone got any tips to do for revision before sleeping? Quote me.x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    In addition to the actual mechanism, you also need to know about the evidence for the theory of chemiosmosis:
    1. a pH gradient over the membrane implies H+ is being pumped
    2. So long as there is a pH gradient, ATP is synthesised, whether an electron transport chain is present or not
    3. Chemicals that stop H+ being transported across a membrane (for example dinitrophenol) also inhibit ATP production

Also:
    Hi guys, first time I've posted on this thread so sorry if I've broken a rule and only "members" are allowed to post etc etc

Kinda worried about tomorrow if I'm honest! :\
    Lol why are you saying sorry? Its a forum open to anyone.. not members only And you're not alone! Everyone or should i say MOSTLY everyone is worried about tomorrow cos a lot of people are retaking it. I got a U in Jan and i thought i knew it.. but the paper was a b****! I don't care what the board think.. but they took application of knowledge to a WHOLE new level in that paper! I mean who cares why seals can breath underwater for so long?! Lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol why are you saying sorry? Its a forum open to anyone.. not members only And you're not alone! Everyone or should i say MOSTLY everyone is worried about tomorrow cos a lot of people are retaking it. I got a U in Jan and i thought i knew it.. but the paper was a b****! I don't care what the board think.. but they took application of knowledge to a WHOLE new level in that paper! I mean who cares why seals can breath underwater for so long?! Lol
    Brill thanks .. Well you know - there are some less kind people lurking in corners on TSR :P

Yeah, although I'm not re-taking (in Bio they don't split up the papers for us) I am worried! Also I haven't managed to get my hands on the Jan paper - for some reason school didn't give it to us. I now think that that's maybe for the best - Poor everyone who took that paper in Jan!! Lets just keep fingers crossed for a fair paper tomorrow, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    I'm yet to revise but I hope I've retained most of it.
    hey bro. wow brings back memories LMAO

ReputationRep:
    oooh.. i've posted the paper and mark scheme like 2 pages before this page if you still want it lol

ReputationRep:
    oooh.. i've posted the paper and mark scheme like 2 pages before this page if you still want it lol
    Thank you!
    I tried "searching" the tread earlier as I presumed someone must have posted it but couldn't find it.. Obviously wasn't looking well enough; Just found it on page 175 :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.