Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Embolus of some form? E.g. pulmonary
    CTPA clear, how many other causes of AF can you remember from your deep slumber in bscland?

But also, early 20s?! - Although you and the casualty officer both had the same thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    CTPA clear, how many other causes of AF can you remember from your deep slumber in bscland?

But also, early 20s?! - Although you and the casualty officer both had the same thought.
    Isn't early 20's when you start getting people dropping dead of previously undiagnosed cardiac conditions? I'm not even on BSc yet and I still can't think of any causes of AF :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:

Hehe well ones relevant to him -
    Hyperthyroid would have to be ruled out.

Holiday heart? (everyone whose drunk at med school knows what this feels like - you drink **** loads on multiple days back to back and end up with funny heart palpitations!)

ReputationRep:
    So first ever OSCE done, few hiccups here and there, but don't think I screwed up enough to fail. Here's hoping anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Isn't early 20's when you start getting people dropping dead of previously undiagnosed cardiac conditions? I'm not even on BSc yet and I still can't think of any causes of AF :getmecoat:
    Aortic stenosis does have the snag of dropping dead, yes, it gets really really bad when the area is less than 1cm...But you're right - if he was Indian you would very much be thinking about this - they have early accelerated cardiac death, lots of heart attacks; although I think classically in the 30s range, but not a good one to miss.

ReputationRep:
    Aortic stenosis does have the snag of dropping dead, yes, it gets really really bad when the area is less than 1cm...But you're right - if he was Indian you would very much be thinking about this - they have early accelerated cardiac death, lots of heart attacks; although I think classically in the 30s range, but not a good one to miss.
    Was he a mule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Was he a mule?
    You mean built as a house or phenomenally stupid and or infertile?

ReputationRep:
    Or a drug mule smuggling drugs inside himself maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I can no longer see out of my window (which is a surprising source of distraction, staring into space becomes very interesting when you've got to revise) due to the sheer volume of post-its covering it with notes on for exams.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Immunology has too many abbreviations :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Immunology has too many abbreviations :huff:
    Thou shalt not speak ill of immunology.

ReputationRep:
    The drug type! Cocaine, perhaps? I'm just going by the demography and history, and not bothering with the medicine malarky. I think that's the way forward with finals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    The drug type! Cocaine, perhaps? I'm just going by the demography and history, and not bothering with the medicine malarky. I think that's the way forward with finals.
    Just got that...This was a case that was presented to us in a seminar type thing basically I think to get us to think laterally and start applying some clinical perspective on cases. So normally, just off plane, with new onset AF would make people think VTE. Thats entirely fair enough, but the point was to make us consider other causes as well and to start realising what might be important and what really isn't. The fact that quite a few people said DVT without first suggesting examining the patient I think made the point quite well.

As far as I remember, not a mule, seemed to be a respectable chap just returned from a business secondment abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Thou shalt not speak ill of immunology.
    am currently going through leukemias - They all look the same!

ReputationRep:
    Suffering from serious lack of motivation. This rotation sucks. Nothing is a challenge anymore. Arg

ReputationRep:
    am currently going through leukemias - They all look the same!
    That is not true. My haematology torture day taught me so.

I might have forgotten most of how to differentiate but I did know it....

man I am ****ed come clinicals next year...I feel like I know nothing, well not really more how to apply what sort of sank in over the last 2 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    man I am ****ed come clinicals next year...I feel like I know nothing, well not really more how to apply what sort of sank in over the last 2 years...
    Totally with you on that one, although very much looking forward to it. Hoping it will be a change for the better.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I got taught to suture today :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    That is not true. My haematology torture day taught me so.

I might have forgotten most of how to differentiate but I did know it....

Lies...:eek:

Also, I feel the fear, there is so much stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I hope you're enjoying autumn (summer seems to have arrived and vacated in April), not that I've seen much of it as like many of you I've taken up residence in the library for the past month.

My OSCE is around the corner on Tuesday, and I'm looking to slicken up and get some extra questions/moves in history/exams to stand out - I thought the brains on here would undoubtedly have some great ones, and I'd be really grateful if you'd share cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.