Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squid-)
    Well, if you survived the culling of last Friday, that's got to be encouraging And as my case probably proves, it's not the grades that LSE are looking for- they must feel that the personal statement is a far better indicator of someone's potential to do well at their degree. They eliminated people with too low grades a while back in the application process, so the fact you're still in the running should be a confidence boost!

No idea, one better than the other. There were a lot of History applicants at my college, so not really expecting anything. I think this LSE rejection has prepared me mentally for the Oxford one, if that's how it's going to end
    Which college? I applied to Magdalen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Which college? I applied to Magdalen.
    Wadham They usually let in about 20 straight History undergrads but there were about 50 of us there for interview :/

ReputationRep:
    Wadham They usually let in about 20 straight History undergrads but there were about 50 of us there for interview :/
    Woow thats quite a large intake. Were you hoping to increase your chances of getting in that way? Magdalen accepts around 12 people for straight history a year and they say thats their largest intake compared to other courses.
    Something really worries me. In the second interview they gave me clues about the passage. I think thats not good because that shows I couldn't answer their questions individually . Did they give you clues about the passage?

ReputationRep:
    Woow thats quite a large intake. Were you hoping to increase your chances of getting in that way? Magdalen accepts around 12 people for straight history a year and they say thats their largest intake compared to other courses.
    Something really worries me. In the second interview they gave me clues about the passage. I think thats not good because that shows I couldn't answer their questions individually . Did they give you clues about the passage?
    Nope, I just chose a college that was big and left-wing, haha And I wouldn't know, my source was an image :/ But I really think it's pointless looking too much into what happened during the interview- they've already made their decisions and there's nothing we can do about it!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I just chose a college that was big and left-wing, haha And I wouldn't know, my source was an image :/ But I really think it's pointless looking too much into what happened during the interview- they've already made their decisions and there's nothing we can do about it!
    I know we shouldn't discuss it but I cant help it. So you say they didn't help you with the source and didn't give you any clues? You just answered every question without any guidance? You're a genius if thats the case. LSE will regret rejecting you

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected for Intl History on Friday - absolutely gutted

9A*s and 3As at GCSE, 4As at AS (inc. History 190/200 UMS & Politics 200/200 UMS) with A* in EPQ and predicted 3A*s at A2. I've got conditional offers from Durham, Exeter and UEA and have had an interview at Oxford. Also got the 'you are among the strongest applicants in your cohort' email from LSE 2 weeks ago.

I was under the impression I had a strong PS (with a good focus on international history!) but obviously not, as the justification for the rejection was that my personal statement was not as 'compelling' as others applying for the course. Obviously I'm really pleased with my other offers and have got my fingers crossed for Oxford, but I really really loved the course at LSE

I probably just sound bitter, but it surprises me that LSE place so much weight on the Personal Statement when I know so many people (some with LSE offers!) who have had significant assistance from teachers and parents in writing theirs. Oh well, life goes on :rolleyes:
    :eek: I'm shocked, to be honest, especially if you focused on international history and politics as well, especially as the course in itself is quite political. I completely agree with you about the PS- there are so many people with more opportunities it just really makes me angry :mad:.

Best of luck for Oxford anyway and as a fellow history applicant I know that to have got Durham this early is impressive and does prove you have a good PS

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected for Intl History on Friday - absolutely gutted

9A*s and 3As at GCSE, 4As at AS (inc. History 190/200 UMS & Politics 200/200 UMS) with A* in EPQ and predicted 3A*s at A2. I've got conditional offers from Durham, Exeter and UEA and have had an interview at Oxford. Also got the 'you are among the strongest applicants in your cohort' email from LSE 2 weeks ago.

I was under the impression I had a strong PS (with a good focus on international history!) but obviously not, as the justification for the rejection was that my personal statement was not as 'compelling' as others applying for the course. Obviously I'm really pleased with my other offers and have got my fingers crossed for Oxford, but I really really loved the course at LSE

I probably just sound bitter, but it surprises me that LSE place so much weight on the Personal Statement when I know so many people (some with LSE offers!) who have had significant assistance from teachers and parents in writing theirs. Oh well, life goes on :rolleyes:
    Wow, your grades are really AMAZING!! You must be a very good and smart student

It's true that LSE (maybe other institutions as well) puts too much of significance on PS. I was also rejected by LSE due to my PS. It's totally unfair to say those who have the best personal statements written are the brightest applicants when in fact we All know PS can be done with aids of various sources. And it's really hard to know the tutors' "taste" and therefore difficult to write a perfect PS for them.

Wishing you best of luck for your Oxford application!

ReputationRep:
    For those complaining - you knew that LSE would place a large emphasis on the PS.

ReputationRep:
    I know we shouldn't discuss it but I cant help it. So you say they didn't help you with the source and didn't give you any clues? You just answered every question without any guidance? You're a genius if thats the case. LSE will regret rejecting you
    Nope, they just gave me my source and I just started talking haha That was my really good interview, the one without the source was more challenging.

(Original post by smile:D)
    :eek: I'm shocked, to be honest, especially if you focused on international history and politics as well, especially as the course in itself is quite political. I completely agree with you about the PS- there are so many people with more opportunities it just really makes me angry :mad:.

Best of luck for Oxford anyway and as a fellow history applicant I know that to have got Durham this early is impressive and does prove you have a good PS
    When I sent my UCAS off I was actually worried that my PS was too focused on international history, because most of the other history courses I've applied for have more of an emphasis on British history But thank you!

(Original post by applicant2014)
    Wow, your grades are really AMAZING!! You must be a very good and smart student

It's true that LSE (maybe other institutions as well) puts too much of significance on PS. I was also rejected by LSE due to my PS. It's totally unfair to say those who have the best personal statements written are the brightest applicants when in fact we All know PS can be done with aids of various sources. And it's really hard to know the tutors' "taste" and therefore difficult to write a perfect PS for them.

Wishing you best of luck for your Oxford application!
    Yeah, it really must come down to personal taste at the end of the day... personal statements are so subjective!

(Original post by Mike_123)
    For those complaining - you knew that LSE would place a large emphasis on the PS.
    Oh, everyone knows they do- that's why I worked so hard on mine! It's not like I sent off a personal statement that I wrote in 45 minutes and got upset when LSE rejected me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Exactly, everyone has the grades. Your personal statement sets you apart.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing is, I KNOW my PS was 'good'. Clearly not the best, but I invested a huge amount of time writing it, and even attempted to model it around what LSE said they looked for in a PS when I went to their open day! The UCAS coordinator at my school (they have to look through for spelling errors haha) said it was one of the best statements she'd read I guess I'm just wondering what I was missing, because I was clearly missing something
    LSE has the lowest UG acceptance rate in the whole of the UK, so there's always going to be an aspect of luck about it. My friend got rejected from LSE because of the same reasons, he was absolutely gutted. I hope you get into Oxford, best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing is, I KNOW my PS was 'good'. Clearly not the best, but I invested a huge amount of time writing it, and even attempted to model it around what LSE said they looked for in a PS when I went to their open day! The UCAS coordinator at my school (they have to look through for spelling errors haha) said it was one of the best statements she'd read I guess I'm just wondering what I was missing, because I was clearly missing something
    Ask anyone, especially people with rich experience of writing cover letters. They would tell you that spending too much time on a PS/CL is actually harmful.

I got my LSE offer with AAC at AS and spent 2 days at best working on my PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    oh great! so what was your predicted? Also, is LSE your firm choice?
    3A*s and an A, and yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    Only waiting for LSE now, received all my other offers.

I suppose if I don't get an offer it'll make my decision x10 easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe that my application is still hanging on considering my mediocre grades. Those who got the christmas email do you think we are more likely to end up with an offer or rejection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun_Bear)
    I cannot believe that my application is still hanging on considering my mediocre grades. Those who got the christmas email do you think we are more likely to end up with an offer or rejection?
    when did you send your application ?and which course ?home/intl?
    haha so many questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comebackasfire7)
    when did you send your application ?and which course ?home/intl?
    haha so many questions.
    25th oct, A+F, home

ReputationRep:
    I applied on 14th October and heard back in my 4th week of 5 (got an offer ) AAA for Geography. Good luck to those waiting...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun_Bear)
    I got the Christmas email. I think it will go like this:
    A) We'll get rejected on the first week they reopen
    OR
    B) They'll keep postponing the decision on our applications, and we get an offer late March

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelich)
    I got the Christmas email. I think it will go like this:
    A) We'll get rejected on the first week they reopen
    OR
    B) They'll keep postponing the decision on our applications, and we get an offer late March

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They say we'll respond within 3 moths. So you should get a decision in January. I am 90% sure about that. Don't worry.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.