Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economics96)
    For those of you interested in Investment Banking (I'm not personally but I know a lot of Econ applicants are) , I found this on the internet.

"Most students securing positions in banks attend 'target' universities which include; Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial and Durham (in that order). Occasionally Nottingham or Bristol feature. 80% of the positions filled in the Banks Spring week 2011 programme were from the named 7 universities."
    Yeah, pretty much this. The rest of the IB class is made up of people from everywhere else. There's no point comparing marginal differences in IB prospects when it comes down to choosing unis not listed above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping to apply for Economics. At AS-Level im predicted AAA In History, Maths and Business Studies.
    Got a E in Psychology last year thanks to my secondary school . Anyway, i emailed Nottingham and wont be able to apply there due to only getting a C in English Language.

Looking at LSE, York, Queen Mary's, Sheffield, Warwick, Bristol.

I hope the E won't put me at a disadvantage though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akhem)
    This topic must have come up a thousand times, but I have unconditional offers (as a gap year student) from Warwick, UCL and Durham (St Aidans) for straight Econ. I am thinking of firming UCL, but as an international student from central Europe, I don't feel very confident in my decision due to limited knowledge. Besides the obvious differences like town vs campus vs global city location, is there anything I should know about these universities, especially in terms of department strength and reputation (both in the UK and international)? My plans after the BSc would be either graduate studies or working in IB or economic consulting (or potentially management consulting, but I'm more ambivalent about that). Any relevant and current insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Department Strength: UCL without a question, followed by Warwick and then Durham
    Regardless of future plan, I'd chose UCL- sets you up nicely for either IB or graduate studies.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is slightly different to the usual questions on this thread.
    To get a job at a world recognised international institution eg: IMF, OECD etc you need a masters degree (or post grad degree if you want to go to the USA).
    I was just wondering how competitive is it to get onto a masters course at Cambridge for Econ or post grad degree at universities such as Yale, Princeton, Stanford.
    Do you have to attend an undergrad degree at a uni such as oxbridge or LSE to have a realistic chance or can you still get in when from the likes of Warwick, Durham, Bath etc?????
    Cambridge MPhil is VERY competitive, as is going for a straight PhD at Yale or Princeton or Stanford.
    TBH there's no point applying directly from a BSc from a UK university for a PhD in the top US universities: they would prefer someone to have a Master's degree.
    If you want to do Cambridge MPhil it would be easier to come from Oxford or LSE (or Cambridge itself)- a good 2:1 could see you get accepted. From all the rest a solid 1st is a must imo: I think the acceptance rate for the MPhil research in Econ at Cambridge is less than 10% so you can imagine the competition. 2 years ago I heard that people who already have Masters in finance or even econ plus work experience at World Bank applied so it's ridiculously competitive.
    If I were you, I'd get a 1st in Econ from a place like Warwick, York, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh St. Andrews, LSE, or Oxford, apply for the MSc at LSE or MPhil at Oxbridge and aim for at least a high merit and then apply for a PhD in the States (this is from a strictly academic point of view).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Ahh nice, do you know if the masters at Cambridge is similar to how they lay out the BA in Econ L100?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't do either course but there are similarities: you have compulsory micro and macro in Part IIB of the Tripos and you have compulsory ("advanced") micro and macro in the MPhil Econ and MPhil Econ research. The dissertation counts for 20% I think in the MPhil whereas I'm not sure what the percentage is for the BA Tripos.
    You also take 2 optional modules as part of the Tripos and in the MPhil.
    It's actually similar in LSE and Ox as well: the MSc in Econ at LSE, for example, is structured relatively similar to the BSc except for the dissertation, and it's just that you go in greater depth in the subfields (micro macro etc).

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you can't do any economic history at UCL can anyone who goes there confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed UCL! Does anyone have some advise on how to stop being bitter about not getting an offer from LSE? The rejection is killing me especially since my two best friends got offers from LSE and I am terribly jealous lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyfran)
    Just firmed UCL! Does anyone have some advise on how to stop being bitter about not getting an offer from LSE? The rejection is killing me especially since my two best friends got offers from LSE and I am terribly jealous lmao
    You'll have a better social life, you won't be far from them to meet up, you'll have more fun and the difference in career opportunity is marginal. UCL offers a wider range of degrees so you'll meet a wide range of people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User25)
    You'll have a better social life, you won't be far from them to meet up, you'll have more fun and the difference in career opportunity is marginal. UCL offers a wider range of degrees so you'll meet a wide range of people
    Thanks for the heads up!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyfran)
    If you're one of the lucky few at UCL you get to go on a year abroad to US unis (some of which are Ivy League!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    If you're one of the lucky few at UCL you get to go on a year abroad to US unis (some of which are Ivy League!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Although I've firmed LSE this is one of the things I am suuuuuper jealous about for those going to UCL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Help please!!

Basically UCAS went a bit **** this year.. Probably going to firm Nottingham..

If i get A*A*A ill probably take a gap year..

I think that if I get A*A*A Warwick and UCL should hopefully give me a place. But its unlikely LSE/Oxford would give me an offer...

My question is: is the jump from Nottingham to UCL/Warwick large enough to justify taking a gap year? Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    Help please!!

Basically UCAS went a bit **** this year.. Probably going to firm Nottingham..

If i get A*A*A ill probably take a gap year..

I think that if I get A*A*A Warwick and UCL should hopefully give me a place. But its unlikely LSE/Oxford would give me an offer...

My question is: is the jump from Nottingham to UCL/Warwick large enough to justify taking a gap year? Thanks.
    Not so much.. Notts can get people into IB/Law as well as into other things It's just below the top 5 (as in 6th) so the difference is marginal. Unless you really want to go to UCL/Warwick I wouldn't really see the point.

Obviously, if you want another shot I'd say go ahead! I'm toying with the idea of applying to Oxford (had a **** year last year because of extenuating circumstances) as a first year at Notts, given I get the requisite grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've received an offer to study Internatiinal Political Economy at City University London. Has anyone else received any offers, yet?

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon this is accurate for Econ as of 2015:
    1. Oxbridge (with Cambridge having the edge).
    2. LSE
    3. UCL
    4. Warwick
    5. Durham
    6. Bristol
    7. Nottingham
    8. Bath
    9. Exeter
    10. St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    2. LSE
    3. UCL
    4. Warwick
    5. Durham
    6. Bristol
    7. Nottingham
    8. Bath
    9. Exeter
    10. St Andrews
    I think York is better than St Andrews and possibly Exeter and Bath; and probably swap Notts and Bristol

ReputationRep:
    2. LSE
    3. UCL
    4. Warwick
    5. Durham
    6. Bristol
    7. Nottingham
    8. Bath
    9. Exeter
    10. St Andrews
    Swap St Andrews and Exeter?

ReputationRep:
    Finally firmed Oxford after a cruel rejection from Warwick. Didn't even email to tell me why...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
    Finally firmed Oxford after a cruel rejection from Warwick. Didn't even email to tell me why...
    Warwick have been so weird this year :holmes:

Where are you insuring?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Warwick have been so weird this year :holmes:

Where are you insuring?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Insured Bristol on the off chance they'd accept me on lower grades, but it's A*AA for both. What's your plan?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.