Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matwx)
    You're lucky to have a Sidney ball in your first year, it's going to be the only one for me during my degree!
    At magdalene those who had the biennial ball in their second year went back the year after they graduated; we had special access to tickets in the same way as current undergraduates. Do you have no similar system? Because if not that seems a little unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If you're a medic though, you may not get to go when you're at clinical school.
    Why not?! :O

I'll still have 1st and 3rd year though luckily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Why not?! :O

I'll still have 1st and 3rd year though luckily
    Just the way term dates work - they may have improved it from my day, but IIRC I was on placement in 4th year (though did sneakily manage to work Clare Ball anyway ), away on elective in 5th year and mid-exams in 6th year. I know they have changed some of the structure of terms and exams more recently though, so you might still be able to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    A*A*A*A for me! Also managed an A* in lit with full UMS this year, which is absolutely unbelievable as in I never believed it would happen Got full UMS in maths A2, an A* in psychology and a mid A in RS (which I'm alright with, although it's weird that the 3 of us who were all predicted A*s in RS ended up with mid-low As). I guess I'll be seeing you around in October
    I have so much reading to do now, what have you decided to read? I thought I'd tackle medieval literature now, although I'm not sure whether to just read translations (thoughts?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    At magdalene those who had the biennial ball in their second year went back the year after they graduated; we had special access to tickets in the same way as current undergraduates. Do you have no similar system? Because if not that seems a little unfair.
    I'm pretty sure there's probably something like that as well, but I don't think it'll be the same after I've left. My first experience of may week was that it was an incredible and well-deserved end to a very intense year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matwx)
    I'm pretty sure there's probably something like that as well, but I don't think it'll be the same after I've left. My first experience of may week was that it was an incredible and well-deserved end to a very intense year.
    Usually you'll have some of your friends still there doing their 4th year or clinical if medicine or masters, etc. and they can easily get a ticket for you if needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Thanks so much, congratulations to you too! Yeah I feel exactly the same, I got 27 marks less than my mock in Biol 5 and I thought the exam went really well. I'm getting it remarked but haven't heard back yet - I'd already asked before I heard about Cambridge. Strangely, my friend who usually got very similar marks to me ended up with full UMS despite bursting into tears after the exam...
    I'm also getting the script back to check it scanned properly (just for peace of mind rather than an actual concern) but that's not back yet either.

Can I ask which college you're going to? Sidney sussex don't usually specify A* in Bio/Chem for medicine but this year they did, I wish I'd applied to one that didn't to save the stress!
    See, this convinces me that they definitely botched the marking in some of the papers! I got full UMS in my biology exams last year and I think I was one of the only ones to do so at my school and now I've got a B equivalent at A2? And I'm sure you have a similar story. I may get the script back if my remark comes out unsatisfactory and perhaps appeal again. Have you checked the official mark schemes? I can link you to them if you'd like. I checked the Unit 5 one and it seems (from what I vaguely remember) that the points are the same as what I put. I also checked the essay scheme and I got 4/5 topics so in theory, my mark couldn't have been that bad! Anyway, good luck for your remark, I'm hoping it's successful! (I'm remarking too haha)

Of course you can ask I'm going to Downing! I visited Sidney and I really liked it, considered applying there! Yeah, that really sucked for you, until they let you in of course Fortunately Downing didn't specify which I'm happy about but quite surprised considering I didn't think I was a strong candidate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dt003)
    Trinity College posted a UMS score form with the confirmation letter. I've met the offer and been accepted. Why do they want my UMS scores?
    For admissions processes. The data helps them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dt003)
    Trinity College posted a UMS score form with the confirmation letter. I've met the offer and been accepted. Why do they want my UMS scores?
    For this, probably.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics

You'll be asked to show them the certificates (or the copies of) of your exam results from your exam board/s later, too. That's more as a proof what you stated the exam results truthfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculina)
    Is this edexcel? That's exactly the pattern my results have! It didn't cost you your place did it?
    (Original post by cp1996)
    Yep :/

Unit 1: A
    Unit 2: A
    Unit 3: A(*)
    Unit 4: U

Hmm...
    Please tell me you guys are getting remarks!

(Original post by JamesJL)
    I have so much reading to do now, what have you decided to read? I thought I'd tackle medieval literature now, although I'm not sure whether to just read translations (thoughts?)
    I've been reading pretty eclectically, I'm currently on Canterbury Tales and Pale Fire. Pick up a really good translation of the Canterbury Tales, they're great! (Mine is the Oxford World's Classics one translated by David Wright).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    Please tell me you guys are getting remarks!
    Of course

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone studying in preparation? I feel like I should read some books and finish some maths units but I just cannot bring myself to move
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Is anyone studying in preparation? I feel like I should read some books and finish some maths units but I just cannot bring myself to move
    Not my thread but I feel the same! I already feel like I've forgotten all the maths but I really can not face looking back at A Level Maths again yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I'm going to revise core maths and further maths modules, and I'm reading up on some micro and macro stuff (just to try to make week 1 a little easier). Just doing the econ reading for interest really. I don't know whether we're meant to do a lot or very little though. Will probably do most of my revision in September, when I feel a bit more motivated and less lazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Not my thread but I feel the same! I already feel like I've forgotten all the maths but I really can not face looking back at A Level Maths again yet.
    Lol I've got someone who keeps asking me questions over summer about c3 and c4 who's a year behind me - makes for great revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardude8)
    I'm going to revise core maths and further maths modules, and I'm reading up on some micro and macro stuff (just to try to make week 1 a little easier). Just doing the econ reading for interest really. I don't know whether we're meant to do a lot or very little though. Will probably do most of my revision in September, when I feel a bit more motivated and less lazy
    I think the core and econ theory has stuck with me. If I have to work I will try and smash S3 and S4 in like a week or so, otherwise I'll try and read like 3 books on the general reading list - all of which I doubt will be of any use haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I think the core and econ theory has stuck with me. If I have to work I will try and smash S3 and S4 in like a week or so, otherwise I'll try and read like 3 books on the general reading list - all of which I doubt will be of any use haha
    Sounds good - s3 and s4 are both quite short too so you'll be fine with those. Do you know if any of fp2/3 is useful to revise?

Hard for us to know how to prepare - hopefully something I read will be slightly useful

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good - s3 and s4 are both quite short too so you'll be fine with those. Do you know if any of fp2/3 is useful to revise?

Hard for us to know how to prepare - hopefully something I read will be slightly useful
    I know the calc stuff, expansions and matrices are useful. Started doing the matrices a month ago, got bored and have forgotten it :/

What are you reading? I've read some markets books which are slightly irrelevant to the course but in the main I've got like 3 unread economists to catch up on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I know the calc stuff, expansions and matrices are useful. Started doing the matrices a month ago, got bored and have forgotten it :/

What are you reading? I've read some markets books which are slightly irrelevant to the course but in the main I've got like 3 unread economists to catch up on!
    I'll look at matrices then, see what that's about, thanks

I'm reading Piketty's Capital in the 21st century, but my copy's in french so I haven't got very far. Have also started reading Hayek's Road to Serfdom for a different take on everything. Hopefully I can get one or two of the main course textbooks beforehand and start flicking through them. Btw you think 3 unread economists is bad - my pile of unread economists would out yours to shame haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'll look at matrices then, see what that's about, thanks

I'm reading Piketty's Capital in the 21st century, but my copy's in french so I haven't got very far. Have also started reading Hayek's Road to Serfdom for a different take on everything. Hopefully I can get one or two of the main course textbooks beforehand and start flicking through them. Btw you think 3 unread economists is bad - my pile of unread economists would out yours to shame haha.
    I slapped a piketty reference into my macro exam essay aha I've heard that the book is loaded with falsities and errors tho, I've only read reviews and summaries

I read an IEA shortened copy of road to serfdom a while ago :P and yeah, economists pile up pretty quickly! I get annoyed at how much I skip sometimes

What college are you going to?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.