The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Damn, I think I've lost too many silly marks on this paper. Got a low A in AS, a low B in F326, but I really don't know if I'll get the A grade for A2.
Original post by notanooblol
Yeah, i drew them but then you had to say whether cis/trans/optical?

The two you drew were optical and trans.

Original post by dairychocolate
I swear that question was actually easy?

We're talking about the one with hydrogen ions and (I think) iodine, right?

It was okay. Required guesswork. Nothing beyond specification.
Original post by Beta14
For the first one i wrote both cis and optical and second i wrote trans

Same. Because in the question is said tick one or a combination of the boxes. And the one they give you is cis. So the first one i drew was cis but an optical isomer of the one they give. And second one i drew the trans with h2o at 180 degrees
Original post by Samwakelin
88- a* 80-a

I was thinking a long those lines. I really hope it'll be lower like others have said though!
If i were a betting man, this would be the boundaries I'd bet on:

100-98; Max
90-92: A*
82-80: A
74-72: B
66-64: C

Agree? quote this with a yes.
Disagree? quote your reason and suggestion for boundaries?

if you ask me; I myself made a ton of silly mistakes, so I think the difficulty of the paper was slightly the same as last years', if not- a tiny bit harder. But, my opinion cant compare to the masses, so judging from everyone's reactions, the paper was easier than last years'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cis + optical
Trans
(edited 7 years ago)
Having sat both papers as my actual exam, I'd say the 2016 paper was trickier than last year, even keeping in mind that I had extenuating circumstances that hindered my performance in 2015.

Iirc, last year's boundaries were a record high, so I'd expect more standard boundaries for an A this year. 75-77 for an A, perhaps.

Original post by BioStudentx
It was okay. Required guesswork. Nothing beyond specification.

I think most reaction mechanisms like that require a bit of guesswork, along with the use of the information you're given in the question.
Original post by sophiewei
Same. Because in the question is said tick one or a combination of the boxes. And the one they give you is cis. So the first one i drew was cis but an optical isomer of the one they give. And second one i drew the trans with h2o at 180 degrees

aren't the one with h2o at top and bottom called cis because they are in the same plane?! oh my god I'm an idiot
Original post by Brandoncarlin
Need 2I- on the left-hand side

For third equation I meant I- instead of H+ **** (They provided you with the equation)
YYHHH i got that!!

Original post by sophiewei
Original post by Beta14
For the first one i wrote both cis and optical and second i wrote trans

Yah that's what I did (drew them the other way round though)
From 65 for the A a few years back, to 82 this year
Original post by aegonsconquest

100-98; Max

Won't be 82 for an A. That's just too harsh. And it won't be 90 for an A*. Just look up last years grade boundaries and add +1 for every grade and that's what it'll be imo. Although some people think it'll go down by 6 marks (wishful thinking lol). It'll be close to last years, + or - 1 either way.
Original post by Rust Cohle
From 65 for the A a few years back, to 82 this year

The 65 was Jan 2011, the first paper. A new specification. It was practically guaranteed low grade boundaries because it's difficult to know what questions to expect. As there are more and more past papers - student have more and more resources (and questions repeat) thus dragging the grade boundaries up. Hypothetical scenario if 2015 was the first paper of the new specification, it'd probably also be 65 for an A. Instead it was 79.
for the acidic or alkaline question, i fount conc of H+ to be 10^-7, and use that to find the conc of OH-, it was 9.311x10^-7 something, and then i compared them and said conc of OH- is more than conc of H+, therefore it's alkaline, is that not how it works ??
Thats what i wrote too and in the book too so im guessing it must be right

Original post by anndz3007
for the acidic or alkaline question, i fount conc of H+ to be 10^-7, and use that to find the conc of OH-, it was 9.311x10^-7 something, and then i compared them and said conc of OH- is more than conc of H+, therefore it's alkaline, is that not how it works ??
I think I got a nice C or B overall in Chemistry. Gonna flip if I got a D or lower
F.I.S.H

F*** It S*** Happens!
Original post by aegonsconquest

100-98; Max

if you ask me; I myself made a ton of silly mistakes, so I think the difficulty of the paper was slightly the same as last years', if not- a tiny bit harder. But, my opinion cant compare to the masses, so judging from everyone's reactions, the paper was easier than last years'.

Disagree. Made lots of silly mistakes as well but I thought it was harder than last year's paper by a tiny bit. I really need an A so I hope grade boundaries are low.
Original post by BioStudentx
The 65 was Jan 2011, the first paper. A new specification. It was practically guaranteed low grade boundaries because it's difficult to know what questions to expect. As there are more and more past papers - student have more and more resources (and questions repeat) thus dragging the grade boundaries up. Hypothetical scenario if 2015 was the first paper of the new specification, it'd probably also be 65 for an A. Instead it was 79.

Not just that but the old papers also used to be 1 hour and 45 minutes as opposed to the 2 hours we have now.

That said, I still feel the boundaries will be a bit lower than last year. I say that having sat both papers as my exam and without wishful thinking (I reckon I got over 80 anyway so I'm not too fussed).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending