Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 4 more days of placement then back to Uni for 3 days!

Definitely ready for the end now - exhausted and ran out of ideas with my classes.

So very close to the end now!

ReputationRep:
    Final review from my mentor today - have six 1s and two 2s! Very happy and more 1s than I was expecting. 2 for T2 (pupil progress) and T4 (Planning) - that's very fair, I'm just starting to understand how to check and measure progress over a lesson now. I've worked hard on Differentiation and Behaviour over the last month so delighted they've gone up to a 1!

2 school days left then to Uni.

Going to really get my evidence file up to scratch this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Done!!! I'm officially a qualified teacher!

We technically finished on Wednesday but we had to go in and do presentations this morning. Had a nice afternoon celebrating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have two weeks left, 9 days in total as I'm having wednesday off!
    I can't wait now, I just have loads to do before my tutor visit a week on Monday
    one final push!

x

ReputationRep:
    Meh, so bored right now. Have my standards presentation on Tuesday and am sitting putting the finishing touches on my file.

SO MIND NUMBINGLY BORING!

ReputationRep:
    What is a standards presentation? We don't do that at our Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    What is a standards presentation? We don't do that at our Uni.
    Interesting! Obviously lots of different ways of doing something.

We have to present our evidence that we've met each teaching standard during our training. Can be digital or a physical file. Generally involves 3 pieces of evidence for each sub-standard. Then a tutor asks about a few standards and you have to talk them through your evidence. They decide there and then if you get QTS based on the presentation of the evidence alongside confirmation that you passed your school placements.

How do you do it at your uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Interesting! Obviously lots of different ways of doing something.

We have to present our evidence that we've met each teaching standard during our training. Can be digital or a physical file. Generally involves 3 pieces of evidence for each sub-standard. Then a tutor asks about a few standards and you have to talk them through your evidence. They decide there and then if you get QTS based on the presentation of the evidence alongside confirmation that you passed your school placements.

How do you do it at your uni?

Wow, that sounds really really in detail and time consuming!

When I did my PGCE last year at UEA they kept track of whether you were meeting the standards all the way through the year. You had a professional development tutor and they kept an eye, checked up on your evidence file at various points throughout the year, and you had to show evidence of meeting the standards to pass the placements. So by the end of the course they would know if you had passed throughout the year or not. What would happen if someone got to the presentation in yours and needed more evidence?! Or do they do meetings to help check you're on track with them through the year?

xxx

ReputationRep:
    That sounds scary!

We have to bring in our evidence file next week and teaching files. We apparently 'peer assess' each other's first (which I can see being a waste if time) then our tutor assesses it. We have a spreadsheet online that our mentor at school fills in at each review point though - they grade us 1-4 on every standard, say what evidence we have for each and set targets for the next review.

I started with one 1, all 2s and a 3, but over time I've gone up to six ones and two 2s so that means my mentor has given me those grades based on my evidence file and what she's seen in the classroom plus talking to my other class teachers.

The one thing that hasn't been clarified with our Uni is whether we need a certain amount of evidence for each standard or sub standard. Each standard would be no problem but there's some of the sub standards I'd be hard pressed to find a lot of concrete physical evidence for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    That sounds scary!

We have to bring in our evidence file next week and teaching files. We apparently 'peer assess' each other's first (which I can see being a waste if time) then our tutor assesses it. We have a spreadsheet online that our mentor at school fills in at each review point though - they grade us 1-4 on every standard, say what evidence we have for each and set targets for the next review.

I started with one 1, all 2s and a 3, but over time I've gone up to six ones and two 2s so that means my mentor has given me those grades based on my evidence file and what she's seen in the classroom plus talking to my other class teachers.

The one thing that hasn't been clarified with our Uni is whether we need a certain amount of evidence for each standard or sub standard. Each standard would be no problem but there's some of the sub standards I'd be hard pressed to find a lot of concrete physical evidence for.
    Yeah, there are some of the standards which really don't kerbs themselves to physical evidence. Behaviour management is a tough one, only really lesson observations can meet that, personal and professional conduct is basically ask your mentor, and the first standard is very vague altogether.

Plus it depends on your age group, subject etc... I'm teaching nursery right now, somehow I don't think they'll be showing a contentious attitude to their study. Nor do I think they'll truly reflect on their own learning needs.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last day of placement tomorrow! Can't believe it's finally here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    What would happen if someone got to the presentation in yours and needed more evidence?! Or do they do meetings to help check you're on track with them through the year?

xxx
    If the tutor decides you're lacking evidence they tell you to go away and come back tomorrow with more in your file (rare, but it does happen). No meetings to check we're on track, although obviously we have a report after our assessed placements, and that is written based on the teaching standards, so I'm sure if we'd had a bunch of 3s and 4s on a report we'd soon be getting checked up on a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    I've got two more weeks at my home school, then doing a swift turnaround and going off to be a Y6 teacher at my new school for the last 3 weeks of term, before taking on Y4 in September.

Nervous, excited, tired, nervous again....!

ReputationRep:
    All over at school! Loved this placement, I was very lucky!

University final review tomorrow.

Cracking open some beers tonight though!

ReputationRep:
    Had my file reviewed yesterday and got the marks back for my final assignment today. Everything is officially finished and I've been recommended for QTS! Finally it's over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Had my file reviewed yesterday and got the marks back for my final assignment today. Everything is officially finished and I've been recommended for QTS! Finally it's over.
    Me too! Such a good feeling! Was told my file and presentation were of exceptionally high quality, which made all of the hours copying and organising feel worth the effort.

Well done us!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to those of you that have completed take a good long rest before your nqt year if you can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feeling very jealous of you, guys, as I'm staying on to the end of term; even if it's paid, I still need the rest desperately and start feeling the fatigue settling in my bones. I thought that after getting getting through the final assessment it would be easier, but it's the busiest period in the school...

ReputationRep:
    All finished and passed as an outstanding trainee (though we won't get officially told until July).

A few celebration days and an induction day at my NQT school in the next few days then free for the summer!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to all of you! It's a massive achievement. Well done!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.