Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    He looks quite a find. 18 and good enough to start in Erdivesie (however you spell it!). Could be a good squad member next year? He looks composed and quick. Always a good combo.
    Perhaps more impressively just a couple of weeks ago he was playing in a Japanese 'school-boys' league

ReputationRep:
    Remember how poor our squad was last year? Gallas and Fabregas were pretty much hobbling the whole game, we didn't have van Persie, Arshavin was injured quite quickly, as was Gallas (meaning Song had to go back into defence). It was even worse on the second leg. Our squad is so much stronger this year. Here's the rundown:

Wojo>Almunia (although, for the first 20 minutes our Spaniard was immense)
    Sagna>Eboue
    Djourou>crocked Gallas
    Vemaelen>Koscielny
    Clichy=Clichy
    Song=Song
    Wilshere>Diaby/Denilson
    Fit Fabregas>Crocked Fabregas
    Arshavin=Arshavin
    Nasri>Walcott (then again, he made quite a difference coming as a sub in the first game)
    van Persie>Bendtner

I also think Djourou/Koscielny will be better suited to handling a David Villa, rather than an Ibrahimovic.

ReputationRep:
    barcelona drew with sporting gijon !, this is what you call confidence blow, lets hope they all feel FML for wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najeezy)
    barcelona drew with sporting gijon !, this is what you call confidence blow, lets hope they all feel FML for wednesday.
    This is the first time we lose points away this season, hardly a confidence blow. The players know they played badly today and Gijon executed a game plan Arsenal would never try so this has no real forbearing on the game next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)
    Remember how poor our squad was last year? Gallas and Fabregas were pretty much hobbling the whole game, we didn't have van Persie, Arshavin was injured quite quickly, as was Gallas (meaning Song had to go back into defence). It was even worse on the second leg. Our squad is so much stronger this year. Here's the rundown:

Wojo>Almunia (although, for the first 20 minutes our Spaniard was immense)
    Sagna>Eboue
    Djourou>crocked Gallas
    Vemaelen>Koscielny
    Clichy=Clichy
    Song=Song
    Wilshere>Diaby/Denilson
    Fit Fabregas>Crocked Fabregas
    Arshavin=Arshavin
    Nasri>Walcott (then again, he made quite a difference coming as a sub in the first game)
    van Persie>Bendtner

I also think Djourou/Koscielny will be better suited to handling a David Villa, rather than an Ibrahimovic.
    Tbh Nasri wasn't in such great form last season and had to play alongside the likes of Denilson and Diaby, and the way Walcott's been playing recently he will be a lot more effective than Nasri was. Clichy does look better this year than last, and the Djourou/Koscielny partnership is a lot better than the Silvestre/Vermaelen partnership we had at the Nou Camp. Overall we do have a chance of winning, but it's really going to be down our players mentality. First 60 minutes we looked frightened of them last season and they destroyed us, as soon as Walcott came on and started to have a go at them, they crumbled. It's going to be a great game again though for sure

Also, Nasri said on twitter on Friday that he was starting to run again, hope he can make the match on Wednesday but more realistically it will probably be the 2nd leg he returns.

ReputationRep:
    I dno why everyone **** of Denilson and Diaby. Denilson last year was argueably our best player against Barca and puts in a decent shift whenever he plays. What is he? 21? When he starts filling out and adds some physicality to his game hes gna be one hell of a player.

Same as Diaby, he was pretty decent against Barca last year and against Newcastle, just needs to find some consistency, something that he struggles to find due to the sheer stupidity of some challenges hes faced!

ReputationRep:
    How Walcott is ever going to become a striker again is beyond me, he is a terrible finisher. I think he is more suited to being a winger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannanB)
    I dno why everyone **** of Denilson and Diaby. Denilson last year was argueably our best player against Barca and puts in a decent shift whenever he plays. What is he? 21? When he starts filling out and adds some physicality to his game hes gna be one hell of a player.

Same as Diaby, he was pretty decent against Barca last year and against Newcastle, just needs to find some consistency, something that he struggles to find due to the sheer stupidity of some challenges hes faced!
    I used to think Denilson was going to be a goodish player but everytime I've seen him for the past 2 years his passing is terrible, he's slow and weak and lets not forget his tracking back (or lack thereof).
    I rate Diaby tbh, he doesn't exactly think on the ball but he's a good player in many ways imo.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
    How Walcott is ever going to become a striker again is beyond me, he is a terrible finisher. I think he is more suited to being a winger.
    Compared to last season his finishing has improved so much. Start of this season his finishing was really very impressive he just needs better composure sometimes =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    I used to think Denilson was going to be a goodish player but everytime I've seen him for the past 2 years his passing is terrible, he's slow and weak and lets not forget his tracking back (or lack thereof).
    I rate Diaby tbh, he doesn't exactly think on the ball but he's a good player in many ways imo.

Compared to last season his finishing has improved so much. Start of this season his finishing was really very impressive he just needs better composure sometimes =/

You've got to remember, the guys 21, not everybody is gna be a Wilshere/cesc /messi at 21. Look back at some of his performances, most notably against Roma, and Barca and he was absoloutley outstanding. Just give him a few years to get the level of consistency that we expect of Cesc, van p etc and he should be an awsome player for us.

At the worst, he is an excellent squad player. hes a lot better than the Gibson's, the Jenas's of this world at other teams, and hes got a fair bit in his locker to. Hes got a helluva shot on him, and a bit of the samba skills to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannanB)
    You've got to remember, the guys 21, not everybody is gna be a Wilshere/cesc /messi at 21. Look back at some of his performances, most notably against Roma, and Barca and he was absoloutley outstanding. Just give him a few years to get the level of consistency that we expect of Cesc, van p etc and he should be an awsome player for us.

At the worst, he is an excellent squad player. hes a lot better than the Gibson's, the Jenas's of this world at other teams, and hes got a fair bit in his locker to. Hes got a helluva shot on him, and a bit of the samba skills to!
    Excellent post. Totally agree and also can i add that song was pretty average a couple of seasons ago.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EhtwEjkPbE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCVm4...layer_embedded

The new Japanese kid we bought seems to be making an impression at Feyenoord. Apparently he had an outstanding game and scored on his home debut.

From the way he shapes up, he seems very two-footed. It's the type of goal Nasri has netting all season...and according to Wenger, Nasri has a chance of making the game on Wednesday. Fingers crossed...but at least it seems like he won't miss the next league game (a week Wednesday), and I think Vermaelen will only miss one more. You can pencil him in for the game against Sunderland on 5th March -- lets hope the Kos-Djourou partnership continues to work well, anyway. Of course, by then, we'll probably have a fresh batch of injuries to work on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the fans at Feyenoord were on their feet chanting his name every time he got the ball.

According to a source of mine on Twitter, Diego Biseswar refers to him as Ryo-dinho. :p:

Boom, boom, boom, let me hear you say Ryo (Ryo)

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona scraped a 1-1 draw late in the game with Sporting Gijon yesterday to end their 16-match league winning streak - David Villa the scorer.

ReputationRep:
    Also worth noting that 8 of Barca's first-team players played the full 90 minutes in the midweek friendlies. I think they rested a couple of players too. And the last time they dropped points (against Hercules), it was also after an international break. I think that's when Spain when they played against Argentina in Buenos Aires.

ReputationRep:
    Quiz question for you, albeit not a very tasteful one:

Who was the last Arsenal player to die whilst registered to Arsenal at the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Quiz question for you, albeit not a very tasteful one:

Who was the last Arsenal player to die whilst registered to Arsenal at the time?
    Clue? Which decade or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Clue? Which decade or something?
    Roughly 10-15 years ago, he was set to become a key member of Arsenal's first-team squad according to Wenger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Roughly 10-15 years ago, he was set to become a key member of Arsenal's first-team squad according to Wenger.
    I expected it to be further back, my mind's blank, I'll have a think about it. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    I expected it to be further back, my mind's blank, I'll have a think about it. :holmes:
    He never made an Arsenal appearance, and he died aged 17, whilst on loan in Italy to finish his studies. (Possibly giving it away now) He was also the son of a former Italian international.

ReputationRep:
    Galli. :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.