The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Do you hate soldiers?
Original post by Dalek1099
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Do you hate soldiers?

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who did they get to do the CGI? It's been so naff this series.
A doctor who thread! Yay!

I didn't like the 2nd episode as much as I did with the first one.

Was everyone surprised about Matt Smith? I loved it! I thought it was awesome they brought him back to say goodbye. I felt like he was ripped away from us in the last episode.
I thought it was smart how Clara considered leaving which probably reflects a lot of the new viewers too.
I felt so bad for the doctor when he was saying "you can't see me". My eyes teared up. I also thought it was cool that the doctor admitted he thought he could was Clara's boyfriend. I think it shows that he does have a lot of unspoken emotions.

I thought putting the dinosaur in the first episode was a bit bleugh. I liked how the relationship developed between Capaldi and Clara though.
I did like the idea of a good dalek in the second! I didn't really like the discussion though between the characters. The only bit I really liked was when the dalek could see into the doctor's mind, and the thing that turned him to actually kill was the Doctor's own hatred for them. So ironic.

What does everyone think? Sorry for being slow! My friend hasn't watched the first episode yet so I can't spoil it for her! D:
Original post by Dalek1099
I forgot about when the Doctor said "crying was for civilians" could definitely have used that in my Ofcom complaint that the episode was insensitive and prejudiced about soldiers.The whole episode seemed to attack the whole idea of soldiers in a completely one sided way.I thought the episode was brilliant though(much better than the appalling Asylum of the Daleks0 and this is Capaldi's best episode(I have seen some leaked ones) Capaldi seems to be a bit hit and miss.

Seriously, you made an Ofcom complaint?

Do you only expect characters on TV to have opinions that reflect yours? The Doctor has never liked anything that involves the military or guns. It's not a new thing. The amount of times (even in Classic Who) he's told people off for bringing in the military or shooting at things...

I'm glad the Doctor still doesn't like soldiers. It's always been his character and I don't see why that should now be changed.
Original post by snowyowl
Seriously, you made an Ofcom complaint?

Do you only expect characters on TV to have opinions that reflect yours? The Doctor has never liked anything that involves the military or guns. It's not a new thing. The amount of times (even in Classic Who) he's told people off for bringing in the military or shooting at things...

I'm glad the Doctor still doesn't like soldiers. It's always been his character and I don't see why that should now be changed.

The other doctors didn't like the job that a soldier does/the use of guns - Capaldi's doctor doesn't like people because they are soldiers and treats them like they're expendable. That's completely different to how the other doctors were (the doctor got on with Ross in the Sontaran stratagem, Donna's grandad, the brigadier, Captain Jack, the clerics in the maze of the dead, etc etc) and makes Capaldi just seem like a bit of a douche.

It'd be out of character for him to pick up a machine gun and start shooting at the daleks but the other doctors tried to save everyone, regardless of whether they were soldiers or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amazing episode last night of dr who can't wait for the next epsiode getting addicted now
Original post by snowyowl
It's not that hard :/ it looked bloody identical!

Except it was vertical, the crack in time was quite horizontal:lol:
Original post by dire wolf
isn't missy river song? isn't ~heaven~ that world created for CAL? she's found a way of transporting all the people that die because of the doctor there, to ease his guilt (remember tennant's scene in davros' basement).

Or maybe it's the Master:sogood:

I was disappointed that Davros didn't appear in this episode.
Reply 3569
Original post by getfunky!
Or maybe it's the Master:sogood:

I was disappointed that Davros didn't appear in this episode.

I would love her to be the Master!
I agree with the whole "the doctor doesn't like soldiers" thing, he never used to when he worked for UNIT, he just did because he had no other choice. I also like the irony and plot it produces with the fact that he himself is a soldier, especially in the time war
Original post by ChildInDisguise
A doctor who thread! Yay!

I didn't like the 2nd episode as much as I did with the first one.

Was everyone surprised about Matt Smith? I loved it! I thought it was awesome they brought him back to say goodbye. I felt like he was ripped away from us in the last episode.
I thought it was smart how Clara considered leaving which probably reflects a lot of the new viewers too.
I felt so bad for the doctor when he was saying "you can't see me". My eyes teared up. I also thought it was cool that the doctor admitted he thought he could was Clara's boyfriend. I think it shows that he does have a lot of unspoken emotions.

I thought putting the dinosaur in the first episode was a bit bleugh. I liked how the relationship developed between Capaldi and Clara though.
I did like the idea of a good dalek in the second! I didn't really like the discussion though between the characters. The only bit I really liked was when the dalek could see into the doctor's mind, and the thing that turned him to actually kill was the Doctor's own hatred for them. So ironic.

What does everyone think? Sorry for being slow! My friend hasn't watched the first episode yet so I can't spoil it for her! D:

:yep: that was the best part, it highlights how they are not so different, and I like how they've kept Capaldi's Doctor a lot more darker and unsure of whether he is good or not. They've hinted to it in previous series but it's become more obvious now, the dinosaur in the previous episode dying, the ambiguous fall of the Droid, instilling hatred into the Daleks.
Original post by Aula
I would love her to be the Master!

There were a lot of rumours divulging the Master will return for this series, I hope it is Missy!
I think the soldier element in this episode was what I hated most. The doctor always tried to save everyone and I think that we may be moving into a doctor who doesn't care about anyone. I liked the first scene when he asked pink to lower her gone first but seriously felt upset when he left her behind. The doctor knows many soldiers and he hates weapons not the people holding them. He usually believes that people can be saved but I think what the writers are trying to do now is move towards the doctor not wanting to care anymore. After everything in trenzelor I think the doctor is broken and from seeing the war doctor maybe he is trying to avoid soldiers altogether so that he can be good again - or atleast try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3574
There were a lot of rumours divulging the Master will return for this series, I hope it is Missy!

I swear its been confirmed 1000 times that the master is very unlikely to make a return as he thought the master story arc was finished after the tennant era.

Chances are, its not the master
Original post by alpen
I swear its been confirmed 1000 times that the master is very unlikely to make a return as he thought the master story arc was finished after the tennant era.

Chances are, its not the master

*reads recent article*

Y-you're right:nooo:
Original post by Teddysmith123
I think the soldier element in this episode was what I hated most. The doctor always tried to save everyone and I think that we may be moving into a doctor who doesn't care about anyone. I liked the first scene when he asked pink to lower her gone first but seriously felt upset when he left her behind. The doctor knows many soldiers and he hates weapons not the people holding them. He usually believes that people can be saved but I think what the writers are trying to do now is move towards the doctor not wanting to care anymore. After everything in trenzelor I think the doctor is broken and from seeing the war doctor maybe he is trying to avoid soldiers altogether so that he can be good again - or atleast try

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I thought

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't enthusiastic about the episode, but loved the bit where the dalek told the Doctor that he's a good dalek, and then stared at him while it rolled(?) out the room. Dalek's got attitude. If it could wear sunglasses, it totally would have been.
Original post by syrettd
Wasn't enthusiastic about the episode, but loved the bit where the dalek told the Doctor that he's a good dalek, and then stared at him while it rolled(?) out the room. Dalek's got attitude. If it could wear sunglasses, it totally would have been.

Yeah that's a good point

Posted from TSR Mobile
:yep: that was the best part, it highlights how they are not so different, and I like how they've kept Capaldi's Doctor a lot more darker and unsure of whether he is good or not, . They've hifrom to it in previous series but it's become more obvious now, the dinosaur in the previous episode dying, the ambiguous fall of the Droid, instilling hatred into the Daleks.

Ooh it's going to get really interesting! That's true! It's like what syrettd said too as the Dalek said "your a good Dalek" instead. It just proves how prejudiced he is as he isn't so different to them, but he's full of such hatred for them.
I don't actually like it that the doctor is darker. I think it's an interesting way to explore him but in my eyes the doctor is supposed to be a good man. I knew though from the 50th anniversary he was supposed to be the angry doctor. All he had was a second but from his one look you can tell he's different from the others. O.O

BTW, what happened to Gallifrey? They finished that whole thing with the time Lords coming back and suddenly it's like that never happened? Gah. It's being lazy.
I wish Doctor who was more simple. I have an awful memory so when episodes link back to many episodes previously, there is no way I can remember. :frown: if they're going to continue something, they should atleast put it in the next episode. Instead of creating new ideas all the time. So when they continue an old idea I'm like TF? What is he on about?

Quick Reply

Latest