Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Yep my thoughts too.

Also why are people spoiling tagging their thoughts on the episode? Simple rules are that if you haven't seen it when aired don't come into the thread.

I thought the episode was quite good. I enjoyed how once again we were reminded that the Doctor would make a good Dalek due to his deep rooted hatred.

Bit confused about how 'Rusty' was able to kill all the other Daleks without a single shot being made on him.

Also when they were shrunk an emphasis on breathing again. Might be something to listen out for in coming episodes. :holmes:
    I always spoiler things about the new series force of habit I suppose lol

the hatred he has I think is a good theme, like I said it's very human of him, and it contrasts well with his longing to be a "good man"

I think the idea is that the other daleks didn't expect one of their own to shoot at them so were just confused so didn't cotton on in time? a bit far fetched yes but you have to go with things a bit I think

oooh, good point, didn't pick up on that, could be breathing as a metaphor for living? there seems to be a lot of stuff about living/good/evil so far thematically at least

ReputationRep:
    isn't missy river song? isn't ~heaven~ that world created for CAL? she's found a way of transporting all the people that die because of the doctor there, to ease his guilt (remember tennant's scene in davros' basement).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dire wolf)
    isn't missy river song? isn't ~heaven~ that world created for CAL? she's found a way of transporting all the people that die because of the doctor there, to ease his guilt (remember tennant's scene in davros' basement).
    oooh, that's clever, I like that theory a lot, wouldn't explain her change of appearance though?

ReputationRep:
    Rehash: a slight cross between Dalek and Asylum of the Daleks. The line 'you would make a good Dalek' from Dalek was also rehashed. As a Dalek episode, I can't say it was the greatest- I didn't feel the menace. But it's a solid episode and a good insight into the Doctor, who still obviously has some hard feelings from the Time War.

Then again, not as good an insight into the Doctor's hatred of the Daleks as in Dalek, where it's made pretty obvious: he tries to kill it in 'the cage', he tries to kill it at the end, the 'WHY DON'T YOU JUST DIE?!' line.

Here, the Doctor's hatred of the Daleks is much subtler and really manifests itself as prejudice, with the whole 'there is no such thing as a good Dalek' thing. But then again, I suppose he's settled since the Time War, so his fury is buried deep and well hidden.

I just want a good 'Parting of the Ways'/'The Stolen Earth' type of full on Dalek invasion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I rather liked the links back to the original Doctor. "And then I went to Skaro"

Also enjoyed the way that it seemed that the Doctor wasn't quite aware of his hatred until it was pointed out to him. Definitely loving Capaldi's Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that I liked this episode a lot more than the last episode but there was something lacking. Im not sure if it was the lack of action or what but there was something that I didn't like. Another thing was how we still dont have capaldis catch phrase - matt had Geronimo and david had al enze - buy capaldi still has nothing. But I liked the prospect of a good dalek but I wanted something better for the doctor. His dialogue in this episode it was bland there was nothing great or magnificent about what he said - there was no speech again and I think this might be the reason I still dont see capaldi as the doctor yet. He's a brilliant actor but I feel the script writing is lacking and I just want more from it - not sure if I just have high expectations or if this new season has just fallen in execution. The actors are good but writing is verly bland! I also felt that when the doctor said to pink at the end was a bit uncharacteristic. The doctor has worked woth soilders and unit before and he may not like them but she did prove herself and I felt that was a missed opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    I have to say that I liked this episode a lot more than the last episode but there was something lacking. Im not sure if it was the lack of action or what but there was something that I didn't like. Another thing was how we still dont have capaldis catch phrase - matt had Geronimo and david had al enze - buy capaldi still has nothing. But I liked the prospect of a good dalek but I wanted something better for the doctor. His dialogue in this episode it was bland there was nothing great or magnificent about what he said - there was no speech again and I think this might be the reason I still dont see capaldi as the doctor yet. He's a brilliant actor but I feel the script writing is lacking and I just want more from it - not sure if I just have high expectations or if this new season has just fallen in execution. The actors are good but writing is verly bland! I also felt that when the doctor said to pink at the end was a bit uncharacteristic. The doctor has worked woth soilders and unit before and he may not like them but she did prove herself and I felt that was a missed opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing wrong with the Doctor not having a catchphrase imo. When they're overused they become tacky.

And what the Doctor said to Blue at the end was very clearly leading up to Pink being introduced as a more important character, along with the whole crying is for civilians thing. (Blue was the lady soldier, Pink was the ex-soldier teacher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Nothing wrong with the Doctor not having a catchphrase imo. When they're overused they become tacky.

And what the Doctor said to Blue at the end was very clearly leading up to Pink being introduced as a more important character, along with the whole crying is for civilians thing. (Blue was the lady soldier, Pink was the ex-soldier teacher).
    Lol I kind of like the catch phrases but thats just me. Is the ex soldoer teacher going to join the doctor in the tardis in the next few episodes like rory and amy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)

I forgot about when the Doctor said "crying was for civilians" could definitely have used that in my Ofcom complaint that the episode was insensitive and prejudiced about soldiers.The whole episode seemed to attack the whole idea of soldiers in a completely one sided way.I thought the episode was brilliant though(much better than the appalling Asylum of the Daleks0 and this is Capaldi's best episode(I have seen some leaked ones) Capaldi seems to be a bit hit and miss.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Do you hate soldiers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Do you hate soldiers?
    :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who did they get to do the CGI? It's been so naff this series.

ReputationRep:
    A doctor who thread! Yay!

I didn't like the 2nd episode as much as I did with the first one.

Was everyone surprised about Matt Smith? I loved it! I thought it was awesome they brought him back to say goodbye. I felt like he was ripped away from us in the last episode.
    I thought it was smart how Clara considered leaving which probably reflects a lot of the new viewers too.
    I felt so bad for the doctor when he was saying "you can't see me". My eyes teared up. I also thought it was cool that the doctor admitted he thought he could was Clara's boyfriend. I think it shows that he does have a lot of unspoken emotions.

I thought putting the dinosaur in the first episode was a bit bleugh. I liked how the relationship developed between Capaldi and Clara though.
    I did like the idea of a good dalek in the second! I didn't really like the discussion though between the characters. The only bit I really liked was when the dalek could see into the doctor's mind, and the thing that turned him to actually kill was the Doctor's own hatred for them. So ironic.

What does everyone think? Sorry for being slow! My friend hasn't watched the first episode yet so I can't spoil it for her! D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I forgot about when the Doctor said "crying was for civilians" could definitely have used that in my Ofcom complaint that the episode was insensitive and prejudiced about soldiers.The whole episode seemed to attack the whole idea of soldiers in a completely one sided way.I thought the episode was brilliant though(much better than the appalling Asylum of the Daleks0 and this is Capaldi's best episode(I have seen some leaked ones) Capaldi seems to be a bit hit and miss.
    Seriously, you made an Ofcom complaint?

Do you only expect characters on TV to have opinions that reflect yours? The Doctor has never liked anything that involves the military or guns. It's not a new thing. The amount of times (even in Classic Who) he's told people off for bringing in the military or shooting at things...

I'm glad the Doctor still doesn't like soldiers. It's always been his character and I don't see why that should now be changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Seriously, you made an Ofcom complaint?

Do you only expect characters on TV to have opinions that reflect yours? The Doctor has never liked anything that involves the military or guns. It's not a new thing. The amount of times (even in Classic Who) he's told people off for bringing in the military or shooting at things...

I'm glad the Doctor still doesn't like soldiers. It's always been his character and I don't see why that should now be changed.
    The other doctors didn't like the job that a soldier does/the use of guns - Capaldi's doctor doesn't like people because they are soldiers and treats them like they're expendable. That's completely different to how the other doctors were (the doctor got on with Ross in the Sontaran stratagem, Donna's grandad, the brigadier, Captain Jack, the clerics in the maze of the dead, etc etc) and makes Capaldi just seem like a bit of a douche.

It'd be out of character for him to pick up a machine gun and start shooting at the daleks but the other doctors tried to save everyone, regardless of whether they were soldiers or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Amazing episode last night of dr who can't wait for the next epsiode getting addicted now
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    It's not that hard :/ it looked bloody identical!
    Except it was vertical, the crack in time was quite horizontal:lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by dire wolf)
    Or maybe it's the Master:sogood:

I was disappointed that Davros didn't appear in this episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Or maybe it's the Master:sogood:

I was disappointed that Davros didn't appear in this episode.
    I would love her to be the Master!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.